The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
iluvmy72

OH GOD!!! Sold my 72 today...I'm hurting!

City came down on my this last week to either get rid of the 72, store it, or register it. It needed too much work to get legal. Came to the conclusion that I wouldn't get to it until I get done with everything else including the yard which I've neglected. So Maybe next year I'll look for a 4wd 71 or 72. I'm gonna miss that olds 455 block. She wasn't afraid of anything. Maybe in the afterlife I'll be reunited with the truck. At least I still have my 91 and 94 burbs. Love them!!! So until I get another 67-72, I guess it's goodbye for now on this section of the forum. Had I not been so harassed by the city, It would have sat at least another 2 years. So I may hate it, I made the right decision. Plus Utah would have made me put smog pump, cats, and smog carb on it. And since it came from cali, I threw all of that stuff away 10 years back. OH THE PAIN!!
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
70cst

Re: OH GOD!!! Sold my 72 today...I'm hurting!

Sad to hear but glad you plan on a replacement down the road. You can till stop by to see whats happening. Best of luck in your new direction...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
Stricklinator

Bummer! You had it parked on the street? Wow, I thought California was brutal on smogs, but we don't have to smog anything older than 1975 IIRC!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricklinator View Post
Bummer! You had it parked on the street? Wow, I thought California was brutal on smogs, but we don't have to smog anything older than 1975 IIRC!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry for your loss, but that's exactly what I was thinking! I am shocked to learn that there is another state out there tougher on emissions than CA! I've had my '72 for very nearly 30 years, all of them in CA, and I haven't had to smog it in decades. (I better not say that too loudly, I'll probably get a notice for one in my next registration!!)
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Sorry for your loss, but that's exactly what I was thinking! I am shocked to learn that there is another state out there tougher on emissions than CA! I've had my '72 for very nearly 30 years, all of them in CA, and I haven't had to smog it in decades. (I better not say that too loudly, I'll probably get a notice for one in my next registration!!)
I don't know if Utah is tough...but they also test for safety as well here. But the smog in Utah is different. It has always been 68 or older on the smog exemption thing. And if the vehicle had a smog pump from the factory, it must have it as well as a EGR system and Cats. Mine had none of that because I pulled all of that off back in 98 when the 72 and older was exempt. And just like Cai, it depends on where you live. Guys up in Heber or Park city don't have to smog. Utah County doesn't have he "treadmill" test. Salt Lake does.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Where we came from (Lake County Ca), IF your vehicle had to be Smogged, you Sogged it ONCE when you Bought it.......and again when you SOLD it.
No need to Smog it every 2 years.
I Bragged about that all the Time when we lived up there.
Now were in the Palm Springs area....YOUCH! ;(
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #7
danleaman

Sorry to hear about you having to sell it, but I am a little confused nothing had cats in 72. They did not come along until 75.
danleaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
I don't know if Utah is tough...but they also test for safety as well here. But the smog in Utah is different. It has always been 68 or older on the smog exemption thing. And if the vehicle had a smog pump from the factory, it must have it as well as a EGR system and Cats. Mine had none of that because I pulled all of that off back in 98 when the 72 and older was exempt. And just like Cai, it depends on where you live. Guys up in Heber or Park city don't have to smog. Utah County doesn't have he "treadmill" test. Salt Lake does.
Agreed that much depends upon WHERE you live in most states, but that's what surprises me still. I'm in San Diego County...not unincorporated, and have been for nearly 25years. Very urban, lots of traffic... no smog requirement. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy about that. In fact, just a couple months ago I finally got around to pulling all that stuff off my motor...what a blessing!

All is subject to change however. States can change things at will pretty much. Sounds like that's what happened to you, and it happened to us out here too. But currently, I think it's '75 or older that's exempt.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
leddzepp

1975 and older vehicles are smog exempt in California.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleaman View Post
Sorry to hear about you having to sell it, but I am a little confused nothing had cats in 72. They did not come along until 75.
You have to add the cats if you don't have them. So any equipment that it came with and EGR and Cats are required.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
You have to add the cats if you don't have them. So any equipment that it came with and EGR and Cats are required.
This is what I mean about UT being tough. My understanding was that IF your vehicle required a smog certification, it would only be required to meet the standard which existed AT THE TIME of your vehicle year.

If they are mandating you to add equipment that was never required for your model year in order to certify it, that to me is bigtime B.S. Sounds to me like they are just trying to rid themselves of as many of these older vehicles as possible. They're just raising the bar over time, hoping that eventually, you won't even be able to sell it because NO ONE will want to put that much into it to make it run like crap.

Thread drift alert.....I really am sorry you had to sell man.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
mr.chevy

Unhappy Re: OH GOD!!! Sold my 72 today...I'm hurting!

Wow I guess i really am glad that i have a 67' being here in utah and living right next door to you in Spanish Fork.

Though i am sorry to hear your loss. Sounds painful.

I once sold a 1969 Z28 to move here and get married. Kick myself everyday.

Its a 67 Chevy C10 now, and its short now too.
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Blog
http://boyescustoms.blogspot.com
Here is my 1967 Chevy C10 Shortened Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433535
mr.chevy is offline   Reply With Quote