The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT

Difference between doors from a 49 to a 54?

The guy I got my 54 from gave me a couple really good condition doors from his 49, which he chopped the cab to put it on a VW Bug frame, and said I could have the doors. I've been checking out some vendors online and they say door shells are for like 47-50, then like 51-55 or something like that. So they say a door from a 49 isn't supposed to fit on a 54. Any idea what the difference is? I'd prefer to use the much better condition doors if I could and give him my doors to chop and re-size for his project.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Difference between doors from a 49 to a 54?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
The guy I got my 54 from gave me a couple really good condition doors from his 49, which he chopped the cab to put it on a VW Bug frame, and said I could have the doors. I've been checking out some vendors online and they say door shells are for like 47-50, then like 51-55 or something like that. So they say a door from a 49 isn't supposed to fit on a 54. Any idea what the difference is? I'd prefer to use the much better condition doors if I could and give him my doors to chop and re-size for his project.
Door latches, door handles and windows are different. The earlier doors did not have a vent window and had trun down door handles. 51 is an add ball door. some where in the middle of 51 some doors had turn down handles and some did not, same with the vent window but if it had turn down handles it had no vent window. 51.2 had a push button door handle and a vent window. I think 54 had a door lock on each side or was the first year for the option of two locks.

The 49 door will fit but it needs the door latch redone to make it work and it will not have a vent window. The 54 will have a vent and push button door handles.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Matt300ZXT

Any welding/cutting or just swapping out a part? I don't care about handle differences or windows being different.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
Any welding/cutting or just swapping out a part? I don't care about handle differences or windows being different.
The doors will bolt right on with no hassles except what Dwsce said about the turn down handles rather than push button handles.

A lot of 51/54 truck owners swap doors to get the one piece glass without the vent windows. It is a personal thing as many 51 and up owners really like the wings too.

I went out and looked and all of the ten doors that I have that aren't on cabs are the turn handle ones and no push button doors.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote