The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Frkypunk70

Fondest memories?

I remember as a child my dads 67 dump. Loading that thing to the gills with wood or stone or what ever my dad was taking home. My brother had a a 69 k10 we would load up with whatever it could hold. Later on in life I rode in my brothers 70 and thought " One day I'll own one of these". People tried to talk me out of buying one, it's funny that the memories of these trucks still remain. So I guess chevy really does run deep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
bmfm64

Re: Fondest memories?

I remember helping my dad load his sail boat on the trailer and the hand winch slipping and knocking out 5 of his teeth. The boat launch was packed and a couple guys helped get the boat on the trailer then one was gonna move the truck and trailer so others could get loaded up... my dad said no, my boy will move it. I was scared to drive in front of others as the truck was a 68 GMC with a 4 on the floor, and I was 11. I'd driven it before and practiced plenty on hills so I jumped in and tried it... stuck her in granny and eased out the clutch with a little gas, next thing I knew , I was savin the day. I'll never forget that day. Jokingly dad asked me if I was driving home or him after the EMT cleaned him up. I'll never forget that day.
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Ackattack

I remember driving back across KS in my dads 69 c-10 pulling an empty car trailer when the ball broke (stud that when into the ball sheared off). The safety chains caught the trailer initially, but we were getting whipped around by the trailer. My dad let off the gas and we started to slow. At some point along the way the trailer broke free of the truck and went off into the ditch.

I think I had to clean out my shorts more than my dad did. We left the trailer in the ditch, ran into town to get a new ball, and continued on our journey.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I remember going with my Dad when he bough his 1970 Chevy C10 back in 1974. I was just a young grasshopper... My Dad still has that truck to this day. It has been the only truck he has ever owned.

It's what started the love of Chevy/GMC trucks for me...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My first memorable memory with these trucks was when I bought a '55 Chevy 2-dr 210 series sedan. I had to get it from behind a house, up a hill and about 25 miles down the road, with a tow-bar and no one to help. Rented the tow-bar, hooked it up to the front bumper of the '55, then proceeded to approximate the '70 Chevy 1/2-ton, 6/stick/aluminum cap on the bed, to hook it up. Ever try that by yourself? In retrospect, it doesn't seem like I had a problem. I had to pull a hill to get it out of the yard, up onto a busy street, then go southwest. Got 'er done.

It turned out to be tradin' material. I swapped it even-steven for a '56 Chevy 1/2ton pickup, 6-cylinder with an SM420 4-speed and a driveshaft that was not set up for the truck. Long story short....$41.70 later, I had the driveshaft modified with a new slip yoke and new U-joints and the '56 was made road-worthy.

Traded that one for a '66 SS396, that only had a small-block. Traded that off, too. All this gettin' and tradin' happened within a month, maybe two.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
bosco200

I might be 17 but I got memories .....2 years ago me and my dad were looking for a good vehicle to restore....Came across a 1972 C20.....3 hours later she was in the drive way..........Been in love ever since and never going to sell it.

Last edited by bosco200; 06-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I rode with my dad in his 71 all the time i was a teenager when he sold it i cried for a long time

One of the good memories that my truck did for me was when i had a shop do the cab corners and rockers etc. i hauled it there myself but the day it was ready i didn't have much time so i called my uncle to get it with his rollback. I went to pay him of course he wouldn't take it and i stuck it in his pocket and hugged him and said i love you. A short time later (he had cancer) he was in the hospital and passed away if it wasn't for my truck i wouldn't have got to talk to him that final good time. He knew we was there at the hospital when we visited but it was the same as before.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 06-27-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Back in 68 through 72ish my dad was a car salesman at a Chrysler, Plymouth and GMC dealership. Back then it was all about the muscle cars for me. I didn't even remember he sold GMC's until he mentioned it a year or two ago.

I liked trucks as a teen and through my 20's, but I had the older stuff from the 50's. I got my license in 75, so these trucks weren't really that old and were definitely not cool with the guys I hung out with.

In 77 when I graduated from HS I worked at a restaurant. One night after work I backed my 63 Nova two door hard top into one of the other guys 68 stepper. I was po'd that he parked that piece of crap behind me. (it was actually a nice truck)

So basically I have no fond memories of these trucks as a kid or even a young adult. I think I was 35 when I got my first one ... LOL, late bloomer I guess.

Last edited by CG; 06-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote