The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
57 3100

55-57 a/c

guys,
do any of you have pics or info on your a/c setup for your 55-57 ?
im looking at a vintage air kit, complete. in the coming months and doing a little home work.
just curious on your install, easy or hard ? pics would be great.
thanks much.
leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
renegade6

Re: 55-57 a/c

I went with Vintage Air but, did not get the direct bolt in kit as I wanted the electronic controls. Even with it not being a direct fit, installation wasn't that bad. I did have to get some fittings (2X 180 degree) that didn't come with the kit but, they weren't that expensive. The bonus of what I did is electronic controls and the unit is a bit smaller. Only used this a couple of times but, it worked great.

Pictures are on my build thread.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade6 View Post
I went with Vintage Air but, did not get the direct bolt in kit as I wanted the electronic controls. Even with it not being a direct fit, installation wasn't that bad. I did have to get some fittings (2X 180 degree) that didn't come with the kit but, they weren't that expensive. The bonus of what I did is electronic controls and the unit is a bit smaller. Only used this a couple of times but, it worked great.

Pictures are on my build thread.

thanks for the info brandon. you got a great looking truck man.
curious, what year is your engine ? i want to swap my alternator to the drivers side like yours, so i can run the compressor on the passengers side so the lines wont have to go across my engine. is yours a long or short water pump ?
thanks again.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
renegade6

Thanks, spent about two years rebuilding it.

Engine is a 60s(?) 327. Don't know much about it but, it is a pretty fresh rebuild, there was no carbon on top of the pistons. It was set up like that when I bought the truck. I have a short water pump.

Getting ready to get an alternator and PS mount made by the same company that made the AC bracket.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade6 View Post
Thanks, spent about two years rebuilding it.

Engine is a 60s(?) 327. Don't know much about it but, it is a pretty fresh rebuild, there was no carbon on top of the pistons. It was set up like that when I bought the truck. I have a short water pump.

Getting ready to get an alternator and PS mount made by the same company that made the AC bracket.
thanks man.... wow, power steering huh ? thats another thing i want to do one day.... fir the a/c though.
take care
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
oletrux

Vintage Air in mine. Manual controls, not a bad install. Works great!
oletrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
tmoble

check this guys stuff. I've used a lot of it, it fits and works like it's supposed to. practically a miracle in this day and age cheap china junk knock-offs.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/index.htm
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
57 3100

thanks for the info guys.. it's is a big help... soon i will be ordering all the components.

leonard
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
DransportGarage

Leonard, This is my first A/C installation. Mike Brown (owner) at Rainbow Products in Charlotte was a big help, as was the tech at Vintage Air. (Danny at Danny's Rod Shop was a problem for me -- price and otherwise -- so much so that I did not buy local.) I'm installing the Vintage Air Gen II Compac evaporator - not the custom one, for reasons similar to yours. However, I called them and got the p/n for the condenser and small lines thru the core support that they put in the custom kit. The brackets are perfect, and this will save you a lot of time on fitment. They also have a "Tite Fit" line kit (no picture) at the compressor that points the lines downward for a clean look (but expensive at around $40).

Pic #1: I decided to run the hoses thru the wheelwell. I used the diamond-shaped bulkhead from Billet Specialties, and it really fits well in the contour of the stock inner fender, below the compressor.

Pic #2: I bought the grommets from Grainger. They're perfect for the AN-6 and AN-10 hoses, (and my NAPA heater hose) but are only are available in quantities of 25 or so. This was a little expensive, but I have a ton of them and have been able to sell a few for a buck apiece to offset my cost.

Pic #3: Here are the hoses under the dash. You have to wrestle with them a little bit, but it wasn't too bad. I mounted the evaporator about as high and to the right as I could. I welded studs onto the firewall to hold it because I wanted a clean engine compartment. I was going to smooth the dash, but the glove box really improves access (and I'm getting too old to crawl around under the dash!)

Pic #4: This picture is a little redundant, but it shows my drier location. Once again, I used studs for mounting. I also went with the trinary switch on the drier.

Hot tip: You can fit a NAPA heater hose into an AN-10 beadlock fitting by using a piece of 3/8 fuel hose as a spacer!

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 07-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
OrrieG

I am putting in a VA sure fit for the 55-59. I ran the water lines similar to the post above but decided to run the AC lines per the VA installation (come out under the battery tray) so I would not need to recharge the AC if I ever had to pull the front clip. My build thread has some photos of the trial fit and the water line bulkhead install.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
57 3100

DransportGarage, thanks a ton for your detailed post. i will be bale to come back to this when i am installing mine. i need to get on the phone with VA and ask some questions.
curious, does your unit have cable or electronic switches ? im leaning toward the electric switches.
also, do you have any pics of the dash where the vents are located ?

OrrieG, i will step through your build thread in a bit..... 21 pages.... gotta be some good stuff in there for sure.

oh yea, are the both of you running standard cooling fan or electric ?

thanks for your time guys, i really appreciate it a bunch.

leonard
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 3100 View Post
DransportGarage, <snip> does your unit have cable or electronic switches? <snip> Ans: Electric.

...also, do you have any pics of the dash where the vents are located ?
Ans: I wish I had a picture. That would mean I had that part figured out! I've seen little tunnels mounted to the kick panel (like a horizontal cup dispenser). I might do that. I don't think I'll do the ones that screw to the lower lip of the dash.

...are the both of you running standard cooling fan or electric ?
Ans: Electric, thus the trinary switch.

thanks for your time guys, i really appreciate it a bunch.

leonard
Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
OrrieG

I will be running a big truck (2.5 ton) radiator it is thicker and deeper with shroud and engine driven fan. Here is a pic of it rough mounted. Figured I might need some extra with the ac condenser. Many moons ago in AZ I put in a under dash unit I got out of a 66 Impala. Truck was 235/3 speed then with stock fan and radiator, I never had any problems with it over heating. I kept the radiator in the 6 cylinder location so I have plenty of room for an electric helper fan if I need one.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
57 3100

very good guys. much appreciated, and i will keep you posted on when i order the unit.

leonard
Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
DransportGarage

This is a list of the stuff I have bought so for for my A/C system. It may help you when ordering.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SPENT (Truck) - AC only - Temp.pdf (6.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
This is a list of the stuff I have bought so for for my A/C system. It may help you when ordering.

wow, thanks much.. i just printed the list out.

actually had time to call VA today and talked to them. they said el;though my current engine, 1980 350, is passenger side alternator driven, i can swap it to the drivers side and their kit will work on either side. i want the compressor on the passengers side for a cleaner look.
he also said with the sure fit kit i must use the cable controls, and they sell the new panel. cant use the easy crimp hoses on that unit, so they sell me the hoses and the ends, i cut to length, and will have to have a shop crimp the ends onto the fittings locally.
complete kit is $1320.00..... let the saving begin. LOL.
drove it a bit today in this south florida heat, and it aint no fun

leonard
Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
01spirit750

I also have the vintage air sure fit setup. Works good. I opted to install a billet bulkhead under the battery tray. I then purchased fittings and cut the A/C lines. I found a local A/C shop to crimp on the new fittings to the Vintage air A/C lines. They charged $5 per fitting to crimp.

Here is where I got my fittings

http://rayeveritt.com/
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01spirit750 View Post
I also have the vintage air sure fit setup. Works good. I opted to install a billet bulkhead under the battery tray. I then purchased fittings and cut the A/C lines. I found a local A/C shop to crimp on the new fittings to the Vintage air A/C lines. They charged $5 per fitting to crimp.

Here is where I got my fittings

http://rayeveritt.com/

sweet.... keep the tips and info coming...
cant wait until i get mine ordered..
curious, are you running a standard engine driven fan or an electric one ?

leonard
Old 07-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #19
01spirit750

Quote:
sweet.... keep the tips and info coming...
cant wait until i get mine ordered..
curious, are you running a standard engine driven fan or an electric one ?

leonard
I am using an engine driven fan with a fan shroud. I tried an electric fan but I was not happy with the cooling.

Chris
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
DransportGarage

I suppose it's obvious from my list in my last post that I didn't use the Sure-Fit kit. I wanted a more modern control panel, didn't want cable control, and wanted to blend in the air outlets to my custom interior. I also wanted to run the hoses thru the wheel well, but that may be possible with the Sure-Fit Kit. I don't know if it ended up being cheaper or more expensive. Note that their current list prices are on their website, and Mike at Rainbow Products should give you a small discount on those. Some of these guys will bring your parts to swap meets that they go to, and will save you shipping costs.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
57 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01spirit750 View Post
I am using an engine driven fan with a fan shroud. I tried an electric fan but I was not happy with the cooling.

Chris
ok, got it... i will try my engine driven fan first and see how it goes... since a good electric fan setup is around 300 bucks..

Quote:
I suppose it's obvious from my list in my last post that I didn't use the Sure-Fit kit. I wanted a more modern control panel, didn't want cable control, and wanted to blend in the air outlets to my custom interior. I also wanted to run the hoses thru the wheel well, but that may be possible with the Sure-Fit Kit. I don't know if it ended up being cheaper or more expensive. Note that their current list prices are on their website, and Mike at Rainbow Products should give you a small discount on those. Some of these guys will bring your parts to swap meets that they go to, and will save you shipping costs.
yea, i did notice that you didnt run the sure fit. the tech on the phone said its more work to run the unit you ran, a gen II... how much more trouble is it to fit that unit ? i also would like the electronic controls....

also, i told the tech my truck runs up to 200 in slow traffic, and he suggested an electric fan to pull enough air across the condenser.... i hear it both ways, but will try to get around using an electric because of money...

whats killing me is i just had to do 800 dollars worth of work to my daily driver's a/c today.... comp, dryer, orifice screen, labor..... i wasnt expecting this....
i guess i will first order an aluminum radiator, get the alternator moved to the drivers side, get the insulated / sound proofing mat, all the cheaper stuff, before i order the a/c unit. but i am so ready for it.

thanks guys.

leonard
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
DransportGarage

Quote:
ok, got it... i will try my engine driven fan first and see how it goes... since a good electric fan setup is around 300 bucks..

yea, i did notice that you didnt run the sure fit. the tech on the phone said its more work to run the unit you ran, a gen II... how much more trouble is it to fit that unit ? i also would like the electronic controls....

also, i told the tech my truck runs up to 200 in slow traffic, and he suggested an electric fan to pull enough air across the condenser.... i hear it both ways, but will try to get around using an electric because of money...

whats killing me is i just had to do 800 dollars worth of work to my daily driver's a/c today.... comp, dryer, orifice screen, labor..... i wasnt expecting this....
i guess i will first order an aluminum radiator, get the alternator moved to the drivers side, get the insulated / sound proofing mat, all the cheaper stuff, before i order the a/c unit. but i am so ready for it.

thanks guys.

leonard
Sorry about the $800 thing. Wow. As far as my A/C install went, it was pretty straightforward (and I'm used to doing just mild restos). I had already smoothed my firewall, so I welded a couple of studs on the inside and hung the evaporator. I put it as far up and to the right as I could, and it behaved pretty well. There is a bolt hole for the strap (behind the glove box door) that is pretty much in the right place.

With that done, I did the following on the inner fender (see pics earlier in this thread):
1) Mounted the Billet Specialties bulked connector.
2) Made and mounted the strap to hold the hoses away from the tire.
3) Mounted the drier.
4) Made and routed the hoses.

Since I had never done an A/C system before, buying the right beadlock fittings was the toughest part for me (but I can be kinda stupid). My NAPA guy (a street rodder) lent me the crimp tool. The universal line kit from VA was pretty much useless to me, and I'll be returning it at the Street Rod Nationals.

I bought a Billet Specialties bracket for the alternator and compressor (expensive, but would solve your alternator problem, p/n 145214), mounted that stuff, and then mounted the condenser out front of where the radiator would go. Using the condenser tubing I bought from VA as a guide, I blew the holes in the core support and installed the grommets. Now, when I do the final assembly of the truck, I'm set to run the braided lines in the engine compartment.

The electrical part will be done way down the road, but should be the same as the Sure-Fit kit. The air vents will take a little creativity, but that's the cool part about custom trucks!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
OrrieG

Quote:
I also wanted to run the hoses thru the wheel well, but that may be possible with the Sure-Fit Kit. .
I got the underdash part of a Sure Fit kit in a swap. I was going to run the hoses out in the fender well like the Classic AC set up. I ran the water hoses then got thinking and decided I am going to get the underdash hardlines and run them out under the battery. Thinking is that if I need to pull the front clip in the future I can drain the water hoses but do not want to have to recharge the AC. I have talked to VA and they will sell the kit pieces but every shipment has a min. $15 s&h charge.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #24
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
<snip> ...if I need to pull the front clip in the future I can drain the water hoses but do not want to have to recharge the AC... <snip>.
If I ever have to pull the front clip after the truck is done I'll shoot myself, then one of you guys can buy the truck from my wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
<snip> ...but every shipment has a min. $15 s&h charge...<snip>
If you find a local VA dealer maybe you can avoid some s&h (but you probably already thought of that). I think they list their dealers at www.vintageair.com.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
57 3100

dransport, thanks again for your help... everyone else too.
i cant wait to cruise in a/c... very soon.
i"ll admit, im a little intimidated with a/c's for some reason, but i have tackled everything else so far, so im going for it. cant be that bad.....

leonard