The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
gab50

align cab

When I got my truck it all looked level but had an extra leaf on the driver front sping. This winter I rebuilt the springs and put in new bushings. Now the frame is level and the cab and front clip are almost 1" low on the driver side. I have new mount kit and rubbers for the rear cab shackles. My floor is a home made not stock shape unit but is solid. I can reasonably see how to jack and support the cab and reinstall mounts with required shims to do the job but just wondered if anyone has any pointers that might make the job easier.

Thanks
gab50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: align cab

Has the crossmember that would go under the stock bellhousing with the stock engine been removed?
One of the problems in removing that crossmember and not reinforcing the frame is that it will allow the weight of the cab to twist the frame rails outward and let the cab sag at that point It is usually noticeable from the side when the truck looks slightly bent at the cowl. You can see it on a lot of trucks that were converted to a V8 and automatic years ago and have a lot of miles on them

Check and see if the bottom of the cab is sitting a lot closer to the top of the frame rail on the drivers side than the passenger side
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
mr48chev

It looks like I can't edit out that second photo for some reason.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
gab50

Thanks for the info. Yes the truck has had the original bellhousing crossmember removed and yes the drivers side is closer to mounting than the pass. Also the truck had a butchered late 50's steering box to get around the BBC and it had multiple holes in it which I have since braced and filled. It is possible the frame could have sagged due to that. The hood and fenders don't look sagged as the rad support and front fender mounting have been moved and when I re installed the complete front sheet metal front I just made it look right as the mounts were different than stock. I found online the factory specs for mounting the cab so will use those as a guide and do what ever shimming it takes.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
mr48chev

I think you pretty well confirmed my suspicions on the frame being twisted out in that spot.

Your fix of adding spacers is probably the only way you will get it back in alignment without taking the cab off and reworking the frame.

If you look at enough side shots of AD trucks you will learn to recongnize the ones that have that sag from looking at the photos.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
gab50

I did the mounts today and it went better than expected. It took 3\8" shims more on the drivers side to make it right. When the floor was put in it was quite a butcher job but the truck looks good and is solid so I am reluctant to rip the cab off and redo the floor. Am going to try and attach pics but it might not work.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
mr48chev

I think I have photos that I took of that truck years ago if that is the same paint job it has had for a while. Looks like you are on the right track now.