The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
rayfinseats

Tech tip: 5 minute shock install

Yesterday I had a broken shock again in the front of my 90 1500. What a pain. I had to use a breaker bar, liquid wrench, cheater pipe, box end wrench and air impact. Since this is the second time a pot hole broke my shock I decided to change something.

I took (2) 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts about 4 1/2" long and cut them to length and drilled a 3/16 hole for a hitch pin clip on the threaded end. NExt time I have to replace a shock all I have to do is pull the pins and pop it in. This is way easier than fighting rusted hard -to-get-to bolts. Since the stress it all on the bolt and not the pin it should work fine. I'm gonna do them all like that on my 83.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Tech tip: 5 minute shock install

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
Yesterday I had a broken shock again in the front of my 90 1500. What a pain. I had to use a breaker bar, liquid wrench, cheater pipe, box end wrench and air impact. Since this is the second time a pot hole broke my shock I decided to change something.

I took (2) 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts about 4 1/2" long and cut them to length and drilled a 3/16 hole for a hitch pin clip on the threaded end. NExt time I have to replace a shock all I have to do is pull the pins and pop it in. This is way easier than fighting rusted hard -to-get-to bolts. Since the stress it all on the bolt and not the pin it should work fine. I'm gonna do them all like that on my 83.
Or.... you could just put anti-seize on the bolt threads. The road conditions shouldn't cause a shock to break though unless it's bottoming out. Is this on a stock height truck?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
rayfinseats

Yes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
MadManAndrew

Very good idea, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
rayfinseats

I still think it's a good idea. You know how suspension bolts can be. You put anti-seize on your nuts and I'll race you when we replace shocks...I can also pull 2 pins and tilt my box on my 83 to work on the chassis.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
I still think it's a good idea. You know how suspension bolts can be. You put anti-seize on your nuts and I'll race you when we replace shocks...I can also pull 2 pins and tilt my box on my 83 to work on the chassis.
Deal.

While there's more than one way to get things done, I won't worry about paying up anytime soon because mine will last for years on end w/o failing. Eliminate the failures as part of the install & issues like what you describe shouldn't exist. Less work & cost effective for me. The shocks that were on my 68 Beater w/a 5/7 drop were good for 6yrs of daily use. The shocks on my old 74 w/a 6/8 drop have been in place since 2003, driven daily, & are still chugging along.

Now for a race type application where shocks might be swapped to dial in for track conditions, I could see the benefit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote