The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
KrazyRay

Once upon a time.......

.......Way back when, when air was clean ......A man bought this beautiful 71 short bed truck. He loved this truck so much that he put a 427 engine in it, aftermarket suspension, nice paint job, etc. He cruised it on the weekends and parked it in the garage. In 1996, his son turned 16 and was allowed to drive the truck for the first time. It would be the last time the truck saw the road as the teenager slammed it into a tree. In 2011, KrazyRay gets the truck....the end.
I get a bunch of trucks because fathers let their sons drive these nice trucks.
If you want your son to drive a 67-72 truck, get a 3/4 ton longbed, take all of the good sheet metal and use it on your shortbed and install a bunch of dented and rusty panels for the teenager truck. Make sure the truck is powered by a 250 6 cylinder/3 on the tree and maybe a throttle stop.
There is another story about a teenager telling his father that the truck was idling when it threw 2 rods through the block, but that belongs in the square body forum.
Attached Images

KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Frkypunk70

Re: Once upon a time.......

Was beating the hell out of the son legal in this story??
Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

So whats the plan with this one??? Looks like a pretty clean little truck other the front end damage..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
VWBeamer

Well, believe it or not, I had a 1960 Chevy Pickup when i was teenager...and i didn't wreck it. But the older teenager I sold it to did....his cassettes slide off the seat and he bent over to pick them, and ran right into a ditch, then a tree......broke his collar bone on the steering wheel....

The moral of the story is don't sell your truck or let others drive it.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

C'mon ray... don't hold back. More pics, more info!
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
67chevy1series

i am a teen but i built it and its my work in it... i would NEVER crash my truck... the problem is i may be a good driver but are the surrounding drivers good drivers?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
DT1

I believe that's partially the reason these trucks are worth so much today. If it weren't for teenagers there would be too many survivors and the value would adjust accordingly..
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
sleepertruck72

[QUOTE=KrazyRay;4771425].......Way back when, when air was clean and sex was dirty.....

I wish I would of grown up in that era
Nice score Ray, Thats a sad story, but its in good hands now. So what's the plans for it ? I don't think the bed will become a trailer will it ? It looks pretty good.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #9
wwotr

I had a Custom PT Cruiser (Manual) back in 2001.
Had 17" wheels, Lowered, Front Facia with a Built In Bumper, Rear Roll Pan, Dual Exhausrt and Chrome Illusion Flames.

I went Christmas shopping, and parked it WAAAaaay out at the end of the Parking Garage. While I was Shopping, someone put their size 10 Boot,
into the Door Panel on the Flame Job.
My Son was 15 at the time and wanted to learn to Drive a Stick.
I took my Dented PT Cruiser , before I had the body work done, and let him drive it around in the parking lot for a week, before I took it in to be fixed.
That is the ONLY WAY I would let my Son drive ANY of my Vehicles!

Heres a picture, BEFORE the Damage,
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #10
TrkEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
I had a Custom PT Cruiser (Manual) back in 2001.
Had 17" wheels, Lowered, Front Facia with a Built In Bumper, Rear Roll Pan, Dual Exhausrt and Chrome Illusion Flames.

I went Christmas shopping, and parked it WAAAaaay out at the end of the Parking Garage. While I was Shopping, someone put their size 10 Boot,
into the Door Panel on the Flame Job.
My Son was 15 at the time and wanted to learn to Drive a Stick.
I took my Dented PT Cruiser , before I had the body work done, and let him drive it around in the parking lot for a week, before I took it in to be fixed.
That is the ONLY WAY I would let my Son drive ANY of my Vehicles!

Heres a picture, BEFORE the Damage,
There is a special place in hell for people who mess with another mans vehicle. Sorry for the damage but I kinda chuckled to myself that someone hated flames on a PT cruiser so much they would kick the door in..
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
KrazyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
i am a teen but i built it and its my work in it... i would NEVER crash my truck... the problem is i may be a good driver but are the surrounding drivers good drivers?
Rick, I don't think you will wreck your truck because of all the hard work you are putting in to it. Please do not try to show off for the girls and hot rod your truck. That is when you will get into trouble. Just take them for a nice slow cruise through town.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
TheSeeker

This topic reaks of arrogance and foolishness.. Were you all NOT 17 once? If someone told you that you couldnt drive a particular vehicle unless it was a peice of crap just because you were a teenager, would you not be upset about it? All I have to say is, think before you make stupid remarks isolating an entire GROUP of people, and someday someone might care about what you think.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

HOT ROD IT RICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im 18 btw..

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
KrazyRay

I will be looking for a good shortbed frame. I have all of the other parts in stock to put this back together. The frame was folded beyond repair. I will be able to use the right fender, the sport bumper with brackets, the 5 lug coil rear, hopefully the cab (it has a dent where the 427 hit the heater box area, but looks straight and the doors function properly), and the main reason for the purchase...the nice bed. I will post some pics later this week. The person I got this truck from has been a wealth of metal as I have picked up 3 trucks from him including a 1 ton for a future crew cab.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
This topic reaks of arrogance and foolishness.. Were you all NOT 17 once? If someone told you that you couldnt drive a particular vehicle unless it was a peice of crap just because you were a teenager, would you not be upset about it? All I have to say is, think before you make stupid remarks isolating an entire GROUP of people, and someday someone might care about what you think.
No, it reaks truth. Not all teens do this stuff, and yes most were 17 once, if not they will be one day. The thing is, this happens all the time when things are HANDED to folks. The ones that build and respect the work put in, tend to treat them different then the ones that are handed the keys.

My first car was a piece of "crap" in many folks eyes. Was I upset about it?? No.. because it was a car. I was able to have the freedom of owning one, and the ability to work my way up to a nicer one.

I really don't get why this upset you that much? Its not as if it is just a bs story pulled out of thin air to upset the masses.. its something that happens everyday.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Gene

When I was 16 I drove the living crap out of my 1970 LWB. Its a fact of life, kids think theyre indestructible, I wish I knew half as much as I thought I did when I was 16.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Shyguy

Let me see if I can pull memories from the past when I was 16, it was a life-time ago I think since I am now 65.

The first truck I had was a '56 F-2 F-rd step-side that I worked all summer to earn enough money to buy. I bought the truck because we also needed one on the farm. I never hot rodded it because basically we were so darn poor I could not afford to fix it if I broke it hot rodding.

Some kids now days are given too many things like vehicles when they become of driving age, that is just the way it is. My twin grandsons had to buy their own first vehicles and fix them up with the help of their father. Neither of them hot rodded them because they had sweat equity in them. Now since they are a little older they have made enough money to buy new vehicles and do hot rod the newer ones. The older ones they keep for cruising and occasional car shows.

I guess as we get older we have to learn to accept that things are different than in the olden days. I know many young kids that do not hot rod, but it seems there are a few with excess hormones.

Heck, my son is 45 and just finished building a swb 1970 with a 454 that will smoke the tires all day long. He says the engine has 500+ hp, but it is just his estimate. He does go out on back roads on occasion and lights the tires up and enters in burn-out contest at car shows. I guess some are never too old to feel young, lol.

I forgot, I have to confess on occassion I do smoke the tires on my '71 lwb stepper with the 454, but never in a place that can cause harm to others.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I loved me some sports cars, back before I went into the USAF. Anyway, I bought a '60 Triumph TR-3. Three days later, the rear end shucked some gears. I knew it was noisy when I bought it. I found another rear end and friend and I swapped 'em. Put some new pads on the front brakes and it was back on the road. Didn't have long to go before I went on active duty, but two days before I left, I sold it.

The kid that bought it had a beer problem. After I went to basic training...and then returned, I found that he had (just for fun) put his brother's football helmet on and went for a "drive". Yep, he totaled it. Sucked to be him.

But my first car was also totaled, but it was because I got sandwiched between two other cars. That was Feb. 4, 1965. I'm proud to say that it's the only one. Actually, I had estimates to fix it, but chose not to do so. I mean, $219 estimate to clip it from the doors back (2-dr sedan), straighten the frame, redo the headliner, re-do the exhaust system, both front fenders, bumpers, grille and paint? How could I have been sure it would have been done right? I guess parts/labor were cheaper in '65.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
^Me Too^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
No, it reaks truth. Not all teens do this stuff, and yes most were 17 once, if not they will be one day. The thing is, this happens all the time when things are HANDED to folks. The ones that build and respect the work put in, tend to treat them different then the ones that are handed the keys.

Most of my friends got their trucks and cars given to them. They rod 'em, TRY to burn tires and abuse them. Mine would smoke 'em all, but when I drive it looks like an old granny drivin'.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
60ratrod
yes, i do

i have to admit that i was one of those hormone fueled teens that had to drive like the throttle was stuck to show off for the girls, but then again the only really nice car that i had when i was a teen was my 84 fiero. and the older i get, the better i drive. and being given a car is a problem, because it doesn't teach you to apreciate it because mommy or daddy will pay for it to get fixed because you broke it. i may be trying to make the 72 malibu and the 72 gmc nice for the kids(thank god i have at least 14 years to do that), but i will also make them earn them through good grades and good behavior. and they will also get some wrench time so they know what its like to fix something.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

What the heck....Im 54 yrs old , but still going on 17 I can drive my 02 silverado (DD), or the wifeys Honda to the store & back without squealing tires. My longhorn, & my Sportster are a different story tho.....I drive em like I stole em! If I break em, I fix em crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkypunk70 View Post
Was beating the hell out of the son legal in this story??
X2

I know the same story but his dad had a 60 something camero It wasn't possible for me to wreck my parents cars because i didn't get to drive them my dad helped me buy my car (75 nova brown/primer and duck tape seats) at 16 BUT before i drove it he said i have to get a job and pay my own way, as long as i worked they would help me if i didn't make enough at the moment.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #23
BlazinC5

Shoot, I can't even remember all the dumb things I did driving back in my teenage years. I am 34 now and have only put a couple of minor dents in any of my rigs... I did have the advantage of beeing thrown into a 67 C-50 as soon as my feet could touch the peddles and learned everything from shifting a 4 speed with 2 speed rearend to crossing a ditch fully (overloaded) without layin it on its side or snapping the axle. Dad liked to load the wheat all the way to the top of the rails.. Even my first rig, I had to put it together and I knew I needed it for making side money so I didn't want to break it. But that didn't stop me from jumping the thing over a raised intersection out on the back roads. Or "borrowing" my dads 73 crew cab with a 454 to haul everyone and their dog around making the gas guage move as much as the speedo. I attribute most of those dumb things to just that,,, Dumb luck. But as sure I am of that, I am also sure some skill was involved due to my early learning. My 15 yr/old step son, has not had the advantages to learn to drive as I have. He essentialy has the responsability factor of a common house fly... So I have already told him, he will never drive my 71 Blazer, but if he gets his grades to at least passing we will talk about drivers ed. I felt it is safer for everyone else out on the roads...

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #24
dmartin1

oh hellll no im 17 and would die if i destroyed my truck after all ive put in the damn thing. i even baby it up curbs etc,even though its HUGE.

i drive it like an 80 year old women,too even around school n such
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #25
KrazyRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
C'mon ray... don't hold back. More pics, more info!
Here's some more pics:
Attached Images