The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Supertommy68

72 Ignition wiring gets hot

I have a 72 Cheyenne Super 4x, 1/2 ton, 350/TH350 and some questions-
first, Years ago, put Mallory unilite in with promaster coil. Ran the original coil wire to the new coil way back when. The wire gets real hot when the key is on (not running). Like melting hot. Why? Its been melted so many times I have cut it back to where its only 6" sticking out at the firewall and spliced.

Second, I have a new replacement harness (form LMC). This has the yellow wire coming from the starter, which looks like its supposed to go to the coil. I am ditching that Mallory and promaster and am putting in an HEI. Does this yellow wire power the coil? Or do I hook up to the wire that gets hot when the keys on?
I have a rats nest of wires, hence the replacemnent harnesses. Any help is appreciated. I don't want a fire.
Supertommy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
bosco200

Re: 72 Ignition wiring gets hot

Is there only one wire getting hot and melting the ones around it....please be careful my truck almost caught fire about a month ago because of wiring issues and my wiring was fried from the battery to the ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
BAGNDRAGIT
Just Not Low Enough!

sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere, and if you search the forum there are wiring diagrams showing the entire truck..

give a holler if you need more help.
1967 Chevy C-10 Shortbox Bagged 327 4spd
Previous:
1971 Chevy C-10 Short Sep I6 Auto (Traded)
1973 Chevy C-20 *THE REDNECK BATTLE TRUCK*
2001 Chevy Silverado 2Dr 5.3L Shortbox. R.I.P.
1969 Volkswagen Bug
This is my first meeting, I have a horsepower problem.
BAGNDRAGIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Monty

if you are installing HEI, you need to run a new 10 or 12 gauge wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse block to the distributer. the factory wire will not support the added load the HEI puts on the circuit.

Summit and Year One sell a new replacement wire for this. Year One part # 00510
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
BAGNDRAGIT
Just Not Low Enough!

Monty is dead on, thwe factory wire is a resistor wire and will supp,ly 12v initally but after heating up it will drop to about 9.5v. which will not support and HEI. you can buy the wire from where Monty stated, or you can just get the connectors and a piece of standed 10 or 12 ga wire and do it yourself. i dont know how much the part is though. i have more wire laying around than i know what to do with.........see what happens when you get into the electrical engineering field....
Previous:
1969 Volkswagen Bug
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Supertommy68

Thank you all for the advice.
It is only that one wire getting hot, thankfully. Since its a resistor wire maybe the aftermarket coil draws too much or something.

I did get a color wiring diagram and the factory (repro) wiring diagrams, but was unable to find an HEI setup in the books I have. Maybe they didn't have it yet.

So the new wire to the HEI is off the key-on, right?

Then this still leaves the yellow wire thats coming off the starter. What should I do with that? I guess a better question is what did it do in the first place?In the rats nest I now have, that wire has been cut off and taped for a while, and the truck runs without it. I'd love to post pics of the way it is now but its pretty embarrasing. Can't wait to get this wiring cleaned up and safe again. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
BAGNDRAGIT
Just Not Low Enough!

you should have 12v keyed power going to the coil. (this is the wire that needs to be replaced) and then you should have a 12v keyed(start) wire going to the starter. i will look when i get home and see how mine is hooked up, i dont remember.

this might help.

Previous:
1969 Volkswagen Bug
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Monty

the wire going from the starter was to bypass the resistor wire while the starter is engaged. this puts full 12V to the ignition while the engine is starting. the HEI does not have an input for that wire, and is (or should be) already getting the full 12V anyway.

the pre-made wire from Year One or Summit is ~$10 or so. i've made them myself, and i've bought them. it depends on if i have the connector for the distributer end to work with, and if a splice in the wire will matter cosmetically.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
doodah man

I switched over to hei this past weekend. I ran a 12 ga wire from the ign unfused terminal under the dash through the grommet for the speedo cable to the hei bat terminal. Both ends are attached by female spade connectors. I taped off the yellow wire that was connected to the points coil and left every thing else as is. I don't know if leaving the old wiring is a problem, but my new wire gets 12+ volts at all times and the truck is running great.
Posted via Mobile Device
We're not the jet set
We're the old Chevrolet set
doodah man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
lt704

It is hard to see on my msd coil pack on my hei where the battrey terminal and where the tach wire goes? Does anyone know if the yellow wire is on the left or right on the coil?. Thanks Russ

1968 Chevrolet C-10 2 wheel drive
Lil' Red
In life always try to make a difference
lt704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Supertommy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
the wire going from the starter was to bypass the resistor wire while the starter is engaged. this puts full 12V to the ignition while the engine is starting. the HEI does not have an input for that wire, and is (or should be) already getting the full 12V anyway.

the pre-made wire from Year One or Summit is ~$10 or so. i've made them myself, and i've bought them. it depends on if i have the connector for the distributer end to work with, and if a splice in the wire will matter cosmetically.
Monty-
Now I know what that yellow wire did. I guess I will be taping it off like doodah man did. I should be getting my new wire from yearone this week. I bought a tach wire from them too. I don't know if I really needed it. I have a factory tach dash cluster sitting in a box on the shelf and want to put that in soon. Thanks to you all for the help. Its a real confidence boost to know there are guys out there that know how to do this stuff right. My prior methods were limited to tie wire and duct tape.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
70STOVEBOLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGNDRAGIT View Post
you should have 12v keyed power going to the coil. (this is the wire that needs to be replaced) and then you should have a 12v keyed(start) wire going to the starter. i will look when i get home and see how mine is hooked up, i dont remember.

this might help.

So is that wire from the neutral safety switch the yellow one? Mine has had the yellow wire taped off since I got the truck. It will start in any gear so the neutral safety switch is not working.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #13
Supertommy68

Stovebolt, I think the purple wire to the starter, from the switch, goes through the neutral switch. Don't have the diagram in front of me, but I think thats how it goes.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
70STOVEBOLT

If that's the case, and mine will start in any gear, does that mean the N.S.S. is bad?

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Supertommy68

Thats a better question for Bagndragit probably, but here's my deal- Mine starts in any gear too. Bout 10 years back, I sold my original tilt steering column (stupid). The buyer installed a van tilt as part of the sale. Since then, i haven't had NSS or reverse lights. I recently bought a tilit column out of a cheyenne parts truck. It is the same as the one I used to have. the NSS and reverse switches are on the column at the bottom. For many years I thought they would be on the tranny. I don't drive the truck much, so didn't much care. Anyways, now I know the van-tilt didn't have the switch on it, so it has not been hooked up at all for a long time. Theoretically, I would think the truck wouldn't start at all if the switch was disconnected or bad. It makes no sense to me, unless someone jumpered the wire to bypass the switch. Thats why I said its probably a Bagndragit question, or maybe a new thread to garner some more interest in the topic. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #16
70STOVEBOLT

Mine was originally a 3OTT and I bought the trans, column linkage, everything I needed to convert it to an automatic. It has always started in gear since the conversion. It doesn't bother me but I always worry when someone borrows it that's not familiar with it.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI