The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
**grumpy**

Not sure what I did wrong...

Hmmm...
I put 2.5" drop spindles on my 66 short fleet, with 72 front a-arms. I also cut the coil 1.5 loops.
I thought that was the frequent formula I saw on here.

Im running 215-75-15 radials.

I drove the truck for the first time around the block tonight....WOW..
Im dragging the lower control arms alot..its bouncing off the ground to the point Im affraid to drive it.

I have a set of those old style screw-in spring spacers. Not sure that will help.

May have to throw a set of 225-75-15s on, but not sure that gets it high enough.

All this and its 215am, and Im supposed to leave for 180 mile trip to goodguys in columbus in 8hrs....

What suggestions do you fella's have?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Re: Not sure what I did wrong...

Man, you souldn't be dragging like that with that combo. My good buddy (Susanville Slam on here) has a '73 C10 with 2.5 inch spindles and 3 full coils cut from stock 6 cylinder pickup springs. He runs a 225/65r15 up front I think, hard to remember now for some reason. He only has an inch or so of clearance between the a-arms and ground, but doesn't really scrape or slam into the ground unless he drive over a bump the tires don't hit (gas stations are a little scary). I don't mean to say anything bad about you, but did you double check that the ball joints are tight? how about tire presure? 2.5 spindles and 1.5 coils cut is only about a 4.5 to 5 inch drop up front, you should be sitting about where mine is (see most current pics in my build thread).

If all that is good, I would double check all of the other assembly. Just doesn't seem to me that you should be having that issue. I could be wrong (it happens), and if so a screw in spacer might help, or that combined with the taller tire could at least get you there safe.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
PGSigns

The springs may have been cut once before. If you have any friends that race circle track see if they have a spring rubber and put that in it. A weak set of shocks will also cause problems.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
chevyrestoguy

In an 8hr timeframe, you don't have too many options. I'd pop the screw-in spring spacers in and see how it does. If it's better, and you're comfortable, run with it until you can fix it later.

It could be a combination of worn out or previously cut coils, worn shocks, and a very short front tire.

Get it Columbus and have a good time. You deserve it.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
**grumpy**

Well. I slept for 3hrs and got up, went and got tires balanced. I also put 2 screw-in spacers in each side. That helped some.
I did make it to columbus. Kind of just said a prayer and headed 180 miles south. It made it. Really glad I did the swap from the 6lug 4.10 rear to the 5lug 3.08 posi. Wow what a difference. 70mph all day easily with my granny 4spd.

So anyway. Its hot and I'm beat. Gonna sit and enjoy all the crazy cruising and burnouts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
badblu97
Double 6's

I did the same swap, only cut 1 coil, and only had about 2 inches of clearance. I didnt get to drive it, but I took those coils out. I found some coil pads at Autozone, spacers to go under the coils. Im gonna get those and put the drop springs back in. I LOVE the lowwwww look!
Attached Images

1966 LWB Custom Cab (sold)
1982 Short Fleet (under the knife)
1998 S10 2wd Fleet
2007 Chevy Silverado Crew
2007 Harley Davidson Street Glide
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
LT1 Burb

Too funny, my crossmember is full of gravel right now and I don't know where it came from or how long its been there.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
jocko

Ok. I'll ask the dumb-guy non-lowered truck owner question...

HAS anyone ever bottomed out/clipped a pothole and put themselves through their windshield? If there's no answer - then maybe nobody lived to tell about it.

Sure seems like rollin the dice to me (i.e. without air-ride or something you can adjust the ride height with when the situation warrants it).

But it does look cool, can't argue with that!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
broey
Square

^Me and Dino were dragging next to each other in our squares one day after work and I wasn't paying attention, and there was a huge lip in the road from warped out asphalt. My truck went from dragging to flying in a split second. Thankfully I have the stock crossmember and not a tiny little aftermaket crossmember otherwise I probably would have done some serious damage. Dino was laughing so hard at me, and then my truck started leaking gas. lol, it was a crazy day. But still fun as heck to roll down then street with another slammed truck.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
logan6437

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Ok. I'll ask the dumb-guy non-lowered truck owner question...

HAS anyone ever bottomed out/clipped a pothole and put themselves through their windshield? If there's no answer - then maybe nobody lived to tell about it.

Sure seems like rollin the dice to me (i.e. without air-ride or something you can adjust the ride height with when the situation warrants it).

But it does look cool, can't argue with that!

I didnt hit a pothole but i T boned a volvo doing 55 in my 64 with no lap belts and hit the paasenger side of the windshield with my head and shoulder but didnt go threw suprisingly
logan6437 is offline   Reply With Quote