The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Redleg

Engine and Tranny Help for the Newbie

So, as ive said in a couple other threads. I currently have the 307 with 3 OTT.

My truck is seeing highway use, so the 3 OTT has to go. The 307 is stock with 130,000 miles. Heads, manifold are for 305 and carb is brand new, but the block is untouched.

Since this is a DD, i really dont want it down for an extended period. Or want my wallet more empty than it already is. (unless someone is willing to shake the dust out and replace it with those pretty green things).

I have no desire to build a 400+HP motor for this truck. If i can get around 280-325 i will be perfectly happy...

So, here are my current ideas.

1.) Rebuild the bottom end of the current motor, mild cam, possible small bore. Replace tranny with T5. The problem with this is the time it would be down to complete rebuild. The Pro would be it would be cheaper.

2.) Find a donor 307 block and rebuild it. Problem with this would be I would need to keep it close to stock so i wouldnt have to mod the heads much. (unless somone can say differantly?) Same time i would bolt up the T5. The problem with this option would be the cost of a 307 donor block. The Pro for this would be the time the truck would be down.

3.) Find a stock 350-350/400 combo. Problem with this is I have looked into replacing the 3 OTT with the T5 and its pretty straight forward. I havent yet looked into replacing the 307 with a 350 or the 3 OTT with an auto 350/400 tranny. I dont know how tough or much it would take? Remember this is on a budget and performed by a semi-newbie......

So now my questions for you guys...

Which option would probably be cheapest?

Which option would be easiest?

Which option would you choose?

If the 350-350/400 answer is the majority. What will it take? Direct engine replacement? Tranny replacement?
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
406 Q-ship

Re: Engine and Tranny Help for the Newbie

Go with a 350, it is a bolt in. Small blocks are all an easy interchange, there are a few minor things to keep in mind. All early small blocks prior to 1986 will bolt in using what your 307 has, except the 400 uses a special balancer and flexplate/flywheel. After 1986 when GM switch to the 1 piece rear main seal, the flexplate/flywheel must be for a 1 pieces rear main seal engine.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I agree with going with the 350. Any engine can be improved to give better performance but you have to spend the money and you may not be happy with the 307.

A 350 is by far a more popular engine for what you want to do. I've seen them on Craigs list for as little as $300 for long blocks with 4 bolt mains. Buy one of these and then you can take your time rebuilding. Or if you can save up a couple K's buy a crate one.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Since you're not looking for gobs of power and your budget is on the short side you have already gotten some good advice here. Keep the 307 running while you look for a rebuildable 350. Craigslist here in Tucson has four for $350 or less, and the scrapyards are full of them. Just be careful what you buy. If you can't hear it run insist on pulling heads to examine the cylinder bores and look for signs of cracks. There's lots of scrap engines out there that "ran when they were pulled" that will never run again.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Redleg

Believe you are right. Ok, then next question. Will a T-5 bolt direct to a 350 as it will to the 307? I dont see why not?

Will it hold up to a 350? Really would rather stick with a the manual than auto....
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote