The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
jocko

Hey, no wonder I couldn't find an S10 T5 shifter....

hurst used to make an S10 shifter for the T5. Lots of us on here have done or are planning a T5 swap. My T5's shifter was like a wet noodle, so I wanted to buy a Hurst replacement. The part numbers were 3910029 and 3910033 - but they were discontinued and I couldn't find one ANYwhere - Jegs, Summit, Hurst, ANYwhere. Then I stumbled onto them on ebay - turns out the guy selling them bought out ALL of Hurst's inventory of the discontinued shifters. Anyway, GREAT resource - if you need on, just go to ebay motors and search for the above part number (Hurst) and you'll find it - or you can google the part numbers and eventually you'll get there.

One tip - he sells them with 13" sticks - Hurst and Lokar both make 16.5" sticks (and I already had one). Then I noticed he also sells the shifter itself with NO stick or ball. That's what I should've bought, but that was my own fault. Anyway, just wanted to pass along for those doing T5 swaps.

Also, the Hamilton T5 adapter plates are out of stock for approx 3 weeks. Spoke with one of the owners today and he's switching foundries. Nice gent, but I'm hoping it doesn't stretch out too much - it's the only part I need to start reassembly. Ugh. I'm just glad someone makes an adapter plate - it's the best way to get the T5's splines properly located (in my pea brain). I really wanted to avoid cutting the input shaft and adjusting spline spacing because, who knows, maybe someday I'll want to sell that trans!

All for now.
jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Hey, no wonder I couldn't find an S10 T5 shifter....

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
padresag

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...Q5fAccessories

easier to find when you have a link
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
oldtrux

nice work jocko,are you going with the 033 shifter?does it come with a shift boot?
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
jocko

Oldtrux,
I was going with the 033 shifter, I'm not sure if it includes a boot or not - but this morning, the gent that sells these left me a message, he said he'd happily refund me $55 and send just the shifter (i.e. minus the stick and knob) because I already have a Lokar 16" stick and a few 5-speed knobs. Great guy! I had already purchased a boot from Summit for $20. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-1145001/
It looks kind of "old" and I thought it would look correct in the truck. Note it is actually a camaro Hurst boot so I will have to devise some way to anchor it to the floor, but that won't be too hard. I didn't want to use the standard Hurst boot with chrome trim for some reason.

Anyway, here is what I ended up buying: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...44134812385439 it is not the one padre posted a link to above - note this one has the adjustable shifter stops. The seller has both types for sale though and they are both quality items. So, I know mine will not come with a boot - but not sure if the ones that come with a stick and knob have a boot or not.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
oldtrux

thanks alot jocko,excellent info.i'm gonna order me up one too!your right you cant find them anywhere.glad you brought that to our attention.people like yourself sharing great info is why i love this site.i dig your choice of boot as well,it does look kinda period correct!cheers
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
jocko

you're welcome oldtrux - that's why i like the forum too - someone somewhere has probably already done what I'm trying to figure out. For ref, here's the rest of the pkg. Just so you know, the boot in the post above fits around round or rectangular stock shifter sticks.

here's the knob i have and the stick (this knob is ivory, but they also come in black or white). The first stick (only stick pic, but the first stick link) is the one I have (double bend) - seems it may clear the seat better than the 3rd link below, but not sure. I think they both will work, but was a little concerned that the single bend stick might hit the seat in 2nd/4th/Rev. It's the last link I posted (no picture unless you click the linky) for SA. They are all specifically for an aftermarket T5 shifter with 7/8" mounting bolt spacing. 16.5" seems about the right length to me. In the future I'll also probably make an old black one (or strip then paint one of these black) and add an old door knob with a hand-lettered 5-speed pattern on it... the wheels just keep a turnin. Note that there is also a Hurst flat stock rectangular profile 16.5" stick as well - so that it LOOKS more like a traditional comp+4 spd shifter if that is the look you're interested in. I think it's available at Summit, probably a few other places as well. I was gonna get that one, but decided on the double bend round stock below.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar-...nobs,7429.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar-...ever,7428.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar-...vers,5046.html
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
K5 Addiction

Hey Jocko did this stick work for you? I like this better than what I see from Hurst & I'm in the middle of this swap & need to make an order asap.
K5 Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote