The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
FLDBRED

Mexican made Crate Motors?

My son has been looking for a new crate motor,GM has some great combo's for a fair price.The fact that they are made in Mexico kinda bothers us,after all the reason we love these old trucks and muscle cars is because they are a part of America. Should we let this stop us from buying one? How do you guys feel about this?
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Mexican made Crate Motors?

I agree with the made in America thing but in reality we're already inundated with parts not made in the United States.

Personally, I don't know about the quality of these engines but there are a lot of engines out there that one can buy and have rebuilt. No guarantee that they will use all made in America parts, though.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
cdowns

not a thing wrong with the crate motors sold by GM

most all are using cheeeep skippy chinese parts to finish them out anyway
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 07-09-2011 at 10:17 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Kidd-7

I would not but it, unless there was just absolutely no American made crates available. I buy everything I can in America; nothing against foreign people or imports per se, but the quality from Mexico & China generally suck. Aside from that they are made in sweat shops; I won't support abusing people just so I can save a buck. The biggest reason though, if Americans don't made stuff here then we don't work. I'll pay a little extra if need be so my neighbor has a job.
Sorry 'bout the rant here, but I believe strongly in buying American.

71 C-10 - 307 - 3 on tree
01 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8
96 Mercury Cougar v8
79 Trans Am 403 Olds
Kidd-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
DeputyDan

I thought about going the crate motor route but decided to take a stab at rebuilding my own. I will tell you what I learned was invaluable. I now know how every component of my engine works and how to tear it down and rebuild it. Besides that I had many nights of good friendship and beer drinking to attribute to rebuilding the engine. As far as American made this was one way to ensure everything was made in the U.S. and having a old GM block machined was a way to ensure you have a U.S. made block. Besides that I found out I actually had a 4 bolt main which most crates charge extra for. If you go the GM route at least you get peace of mind through warranty. As for other engine builders I don't trust their parts for the prices they state.
DeputyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
NoNeck

My son purchased a 350/290 Horsepower crate engine from GM Performance over a year ago. We didn't know that the engine was built in Mexico until we received the engine and noticed the Mexico castings in the block. Like you, we were a little concerned.

We installed the engine and started the break in procedure. That's when we noticed a major amount of casting sand flowing from the radiator cap area. The block had not been washed and cleaned before final assembly!!! We flushed clean water through the engine for at least 20 minutes before we were able to get it clean. We started to worry.

After about 1000 miles, the engine began smoking... a little at first, then more and more. After weeks of research we determined (over the Internet) that there were several batches of 350 engines that were assembled with 3.8 Litre V-6 valve retainers and washers. The retainers extended too far down into the spring. Under valve compression, the retainers would actually tear the tops of valve seals. After a few thousand miles, the valve seals would leak causing your brand new crate engine to fumigate the area for miles around.

We called GM Performance about that 12 Month/12,000 mile warranty that came with the engine. We had purchased the engine the previous year for a 1969 Camaro project that we had apart. By the time the Camaro was ready for the Crate engine, our warranty had expired (the 12 month part). Nothing they could do, even though they acknowledged the valve retainer mix up on the assembly line for "a small batch" of engines. Now we are MAD!

In my opinion, I would NOT buy any engine, transmission, or go cart assembled in Mexico.

NoNeck

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Edmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
I would not but it, unless there was just absolutely no American made crates available. I buy everything I can in America; nothing against foreign people or imports per se, but the quality from Mexico & China generally suck. Aside from that they are made in sweat shops; I won't support abusing people just so I can save a buck. The biggest reason though, if Americans don't made stuff here then we don't work. I'll pay a little extra if need be so my neighbor has a job.
Sorry 'bout the rant here, but I believe strongly in buying American.
Manufacturers can put on 'Made in America' if at least a certain percentage of the item is indeed from the USA. That could even be the package material alone.
All this is according to the rules of the Federal Trade Commission.
Strange but true.

I put a new GM crate engine in my truck years ago and have enjoyed the truck to the max. Driving on propane from day one and already over 51.000 miles on it.

Cya,
Edmond
Capelle a/d IJssel,
The Netherlands
Edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
hdzammo

Or they can put American made, since Mexico is in America.
Posted via Mobile Device
hdzammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Stricklinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzammo View Post
Or they can put American made, since Mexico is in America.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, that's true, I'll have to keep my eye out for that one; make sure things say USA instead!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
FLDBRED

A lot of honest responses! I wish GM would get it, I hate having to defend Chevy and GM all the time when people say that their stuff is made in Mexico and toyotas are made in the US. Let's face it,the reason a lot of us love Chevy is because of the American connection,and GM themselves are doing just the opposite.With me Chevy Runs Deep!
Old 07-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
VWBeamer

I bought my truck without a motor and looked at the crate motors.

I decided to get a later model engine out of wrecked car.

For example you can get a LT1 with a 4L60E out of a mid 90's caprice or roadmaster CHEAP. Usually you can get a running motor and trans for under a grand. You also are going to get alt, power steering pump, AC compressor, and brackets cheap.

The motor has reverse flow cooling, cam driven water pump and port injection. The 4 speed auto has .70 od 4th.. The stock PCM can be used to run both if you get the stock harness. with the motor. It's going to deliver a lot better fuel mileage and be a lot easier to drive on the freeway.

With chip tuning, headers and cam change the motor will put out well over 350 hp.

Just a thought. I know a lot of people want to keep it simple with a carb and 3 speed AUTO, but the EFI and OD trans sure make it a lot nicer if you drive it much.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Kidd-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
Manufacturers can put on 'Made in America' if at least a certain percentage of the item is indeed from the USA. That could even be the package material alone.
All this is according to the rules of the Federal Trade Commission.
Strange but true.

I put a new GM crate engine in my truck years ago and have enjoyed the truck to the max. Driving on propane from day one and already over 51.000 miles on it.

Cya,
Edmond
Very true, there is a certain percentage; while I don't know off hand what it is I do know its low. Even still I'd rather have some USA worker than none.

71 C-10 - 307 - 3 on tree
01 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8
96 Mercury Cougar v8
79 Trans Am 403 Olds
Kidd-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
67chevyc10719

i say buy it and check the motor upon receiving it.. no matter who makes it ther fualty stuff out there.. good luck
67chevyc10719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

My dad put a mexican crate 305 in his Caprice. He broke it in and I made sure to test it to its limits when I got my hands on it... It still is running great today 6 years later.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
sleepingbag

ATK is a Mexican company, but they rebuild in Texas and stock in warehouses all around the US. Jasper is in Indiana, and those boys know how to rebuild a motor, but their best part is if they have a problem they take care of it at lightspeed....
sleepingbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
mikewarme

Mexico is way better than china!!!!
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
Mexico is way better than china!!!!
A/C delco parts are now made in china. I bought a new a/c delco headlight switch just to say i replaced it. The original was still working! Turned on the headlights 6 times and it broke! Literally fell apart! My new CPP tilt column ...... All the knobs asre cracked in less than 1 year! CHINA IS JUNK
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond View Post
That's incorrect. The Federal Trade Commission has strict regulations on what can and can't be sold as "Made in America" and what can and can't be sold as "assembled in America" based on the percentage of foreign sourced parts.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard

Quote:
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is charged with preventing deception and unfairness in the marketplace. The FTC Act gives the Commission the power to bring law enforcement actions against false or misleading claims that a product is of U.S. origin. Traditionally, the Commission has required that a product advertised as Made in USA be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. After a comprehensive review of Made in USA and other U.S. origin claims in product advertising and labeling, the Commission announced in December 1997 that it would retain the "all or virtually all" standard. The Commission also issued an Enforcement Policy Statement on U.S. Origin Claims to provide guidance to marketers who want to make an unqualified Made in USA claim under the "all or virtually all" standard and those who want to make a qualified Made in USA claim.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I know shops that got screwed by Jasper. They may back their motors up to customers but they screw the shop when it's not their fault the motor was assembled poorly. I know facts about what has been found on disassembled Jasper rebuilds. I'd buy a crate built in Mexico and never a Jasper. You're better off having a local guy build your motor. That's what I do. Look around. Some of the best motors are built by your neighboring small business.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
FLDBRED

I love the" General" and especially Chevy, but they sometimes don't get it,I wish they would have people read these forums to understand why we buy what we do!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
VWBeamer

True, true.....and You can put a SBC together yourself in your garage if hve a good machine shop near by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Some of the best motors are built by your neighboring small business.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
dyrt

If you are hard set on a crate motor then you can at very least ask where they are cast and built. I know a few guys who have just hit the parts counter at GM dealerships and asked this info and one guy who bought a zz4 crate motor through the dealership directly. I have found a handful of mexico blocks around myself but never heard anything particularly bad about them except some believe they are lighter because of less material used, which didn't allow to rebore very much. In the end, i think the best thing to do if i ever go gen 1 small block is to find a truck/van or fullsize car and grab the engine, depending on whether i want a stock 4 bolt main block or a good 2 bolt to go splayed main caps with during machining. I know that 1 ton trucks had high nickel 4 bolt main blocks in many years so there is a good start if you want a top quality american block. The thing many people don't remember is this: the gen 1 small block is obsolete(from a manufacturer perspective.) It wouldn't make sense to manufacture them new in US and Canada in high quantities since these places are used for new production car parts and the parts would then be even more expensive because of it. Just a thought.

Mike
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Let's research which actual crate motors are assembled in mex (meximotor)

And which crates are assembled in michigan (hereby known as michimotor).

i heard/read that the basic level crates---i.e., 260/290hp 350's, 305's, 4.3 v-6 and all other basic replacement engines are meximotors.

While the higher end performance crates---i.e., zz383, 502 etc. are michimotors assembled in michigan by just 2 gm employees.

P.S. After carefully reading dyrt's above post again, what about the top end performance blocks such as bowtie, sbc.2, sportsman, aluminum etc? i hope these are not made in mexico?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #24
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDixon1000 View Post
I thought about going the crate motor route but decided to take a stab at rebuilding my own. I will tell you what I learned was invaluable.
I have to agree 100% with DDixon! Last year, I considered buying a crate big block for my 72 Chevelle. The prices scared me off first of all but after talking to some of my people on my forum, they talked me into building one myself.

It was the best thing I ever did! I found a 454 in a 74 Caprice in a junk yard that was locked up. Got it for $300 and got lucky, it was a good usable core. With the help of some guys on my forum, they talked me through and answered the many questions I had. (a few books helped too)

I had such fun, I found another 454 about a month later in another junkyard so I did that one up as well! I just put that one in my 69 stepside a few days ago in fact.

I'm currently building the 350 for my wrecker so I'm building the 3rd engine and having alot of fun.

There's a big feeling of pride and accomplishment when you do it yourself. The nice thing is, I now have enough knowledge to build any engines I may need in the future. I already have plans to do the 327 in my 66 Impala next.

Now where would I be if I bought that crate engine?

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #25
Wrenchbender Ret

The reason they are made in Mexico is the strick polution laws in the States. Its cost prohibitive to build a foundry here.
I have used & sold hundreds of Goodwrench engines through the years & have never had a problem with them.
I agree its neat to build one up yourself but if you bore it & turn the crank you can't do it for what a basic Goodwrench costs.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote