The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Water pump, fuel pump, and hoses

I just stuck my head under the truck and found out that my fuel pump and water pump are leaking.
I am inclined to go with AC Delco parts, but I notice the water pumps listed all say for AT only and I have a SM465 manual. Is there a difference in water pumps - automatic vs. manual transmission?
Also, I see a $32 vs. $115 water pump - does it matter which one I get?
Any tips on installing a fuel pump?
Any brands of parts favored by anyone? Upper and lower radiator hoses all seem to about the same price (Delco/Gates/Dayton, etc.)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
cjlinkster

Re: Water pump, fuel pump, and hoses

I noticed that this was posted a few weeks ago. Were you able to fix your issues?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Re: Water pump, fuel pump, and hoses

Sort of. I replaced the water pump with a Delco, new hoses and and belts from NAPA and Autozone, took the radiator to the repair shop to repair a small leak on my 2 year old Ready Rad ($41), replaced the thermostat because it was overheating the truck, had to seal the thermostat housing twice with Hylomar. I just dropped it off with a local mechanic to install the new Delco fuel pump.

I now noticed a bad knock in the air pump, so I am researching a replacement. Ebay NOS GM is about $125 (but it looks a little rough/rusty), new Delco pump is about $150, and aftermarket Cardone is about $70. The mechanic I just talked with says he has two air pumps on is 86 big block CC and he replaces one of them about every 3 years, so I am not too keen on Cardones. In Tucson we have to have all factory smog equipment in place and working properly to pass emissions, so I will have to get a new pump.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote