The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Patch panel mis-fit question

My left front fender patch panel is clearly marked 55-57 Chevy pickup but the lip is different than my fenders. Could this be for a 58-59 truck or are they the same as a 57? I can make it work but I was just wondering if it was marked wrong. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Anyone else run into this?
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Patch panel mis-fit question

Not sure what that panel is for but the 55-7 is almost the same as 58-9 and shaped like the original
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Kim57

I've found with a couple of after market patches that they don't match the originals. They were close enough that I was able to make them work though.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
tmoble

wrong patch, I'd say. not even similar. send it back, make them send you the right one.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
wrong patch, I'd say. not even similar. send it back, make them send you the right one.
Other than the lip it fits the contour of the fender nicely and that makes me suspect that it's just made wrong. It's too late to send the left side back because I've already cut it and fit it to the fender but I Think I'll return the right side and see if I can find one that fits better. It was manufactured by a company called KeyParts and the three of their other patch panels I've used fit very well.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
mbgmike

Not sure what that is either.
We sell TriPlus from Keyparts and sometimes the boxes are miss marketed from Taiwan. Not Keyparts fault. Here is a pic of the USA made ones we also sell showing the correct panel. If you had purchased them from us we would refund if it was the wrong panel cut on or not. I would call the company you purchased them from and let them know.
Attached Images

mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Russell Ashley

Thanks for the replys everyone. I was already into the first one and wanted to get it finished so I didn't stop and return it. The fender rust that I was replacing was mostly behind the inner brace and not so much in the rolled part and I was able to cut the panel so that I didn't use much of the section that had the wrong contour. The right fender was in better condition so I didn't use any of that section with the funky shape. I only used a narrow verticle section of the patch panel to go behind the brace. The bottom of the patch panels where it attached to the brace fit great and had the correct roll.
If I had seen that problem before I cut into the fender I'd have returned them, and probably should have anyway.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
mdstitt

It's the right patch, just not correctly made. This is about the best you can expect from a Taiwan repop. The extra low area is created during the stamping process and is just something you'll have to deal with. You'll find the same stamping error in the Taiwan rocker panels.

Incidentally, if it were the 58-59 patch, the lower portion would not be the same. The patch would not fit at all at the lower tip.
mdstitt is offline   Reply With Quote