The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Gunster89

My 66 Gmc having tail light issues

So I picked up a 66 GMC fleet side around 6 months ago or so and im workin on fixin it up Im new to the site joined because ive gotten alot of useful info from this site through google so yea I think Im postin where I should but not sure
Attached Images

Gunster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Gunster89

Re: My 66 Gmc having tail light issues

I forgot to mension what my issues were I have front turn signals and parking lights working I ran the turn signals from the fron to the rear till I can figure out my problem wich is my break light and turn signals arent workin together in the rear my break light is goin into the turnsignal switch and workin but its not leaving and I only have a rear right turn sig leaving my turn signal switch but the break light is not working with it im wonderin if maybe its in the switch itself any help greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
awbrown

I had an issue with a 65 I bought , the PO didnt care about the brake lights , they never worked .. but the tail lights and turnsignals did .. one day I was looking at the mess of wires under the dash and the was 2 white wires that looked to have been cut .. I twisted them together and bingo they work right ... biggest problem with 60-66 was the tail light buckets always lost ground ...... Many people have gone to great lengths only to find out it was a ground...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Gunster89

Its not a ground issue atm I dont have running light becuase there unhooked due to the fact Im not driving it at night so I ran a wire from the brake cylanoid straight to the high side of the light and hooked turn signals up off the front turnsignals to get me buy Im gonna look into getting a new turn signal switch because that white wire you are talking about goes into your turn signal switch then out to the rear tied in with the turn signals but If I hook It up theres no juice leaving the switch like it should and I only got 1 turn signal workin wich is the green wire but but no brake when I push it and yellow has no turn signal I am probably gonna need a new switch but Im kinda hopin I dont cause its not in the budget plan lol
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
vgnope

take it apart and use a tester to see if there even is power goin back there..on my 63, theres 3 wire connector on interior firewall,3 wires goin back then they split to lic. plate light and pass light.. 1 wire connects to brake light switch, the other 2 to turn signal..
vgnope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster89 View Post
So I picked up a 66 GMC fleet side around 6 months ago or so and im workin on fixin it up Im new to the site joined because ive gotten alot of useful info from this site through google so yea I think Im postin where I should but not sure
Quote:
I forgot to mension what my issues were I have front turn signals and parking lights working I ran the turn signals from the fron to the rear till I can figure out my problem wich is my break light and turn signals arent workin together in the rear my break light is goin into the turnsignal switch and workin but its not leaving and I only have a rear right turn sig leaving my turn signal switch but the break light is not working with it im wonderin if maybe its in the switch itself any help greatly appreciated thanks
Quote:
Its not a ground issue atm I dont have running light becuase there unhooked due to the fact Im not driving it at night so I ran a wire from the brake cylanoid straight to the high side of the light and hooked turn signals up off the front turnsignals to get me buy Im gonna look into getting a new turn signal switch because that white wire you are talking about goes into your turn signal switch then out to the rear tied in with the turn signals but If I hook It up theres no juice leaving the switch like it should and I only got 1 turn signal workin wich is the green wire but but no brake when I push it and yellow has no turn signal I am probably gonna need a new switch but Im kinda hopin I dont cause its not in the budget plan lol
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
...I think that about covers most of the periods you left out. Feel free to use any one of those.

Just kidding man, definitely replace your turn signal switch. I had similar issues on my suburban and that cleared up a lot of it.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
vgnope

I was like wats ....... Lol.. Too funny corts60
It's gotta be th switch.. Hey buy a new one, aftermarket. Test it out..
Posted via Mobile Device
vgnope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Gunster89

Alright thx looks like its the switch so ill be ordering one from lmc thx for the help
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Gunster89

So I primed my truck yesterday what ya guys think about the change?
Attached Images