The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Horsman

C-20 Lower Control Arm Shaft Kit Question

I recently ordered new Moog suspension stuff from RockAuto and keep running into something strange with the shaft kits (part #K6147) they keep sending. When my first order came in I noticed one of the shaft kits was missing more metal at the threaded ends, so I compared my originals to the new Moog stuff and noticed my originals are machined exactly like the one on the bottom in both pics. No problem, so I sent the unusual machined one back to RockAuto and they sent me another one that is identical to the one I sent back.

Am I missing something??? Should I reuse the old shafts??? Did Moog have a bad run of the shaft kits that are machined wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Attached Images

1971 Skylark (GS clone racecar) 494 stroker
1986 Buick T-Type
Horsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: C-20 Lower Control Arm Shaft Kit Question

You need to use new ones. Have you tried them with the caps. Sometimes after market parts vary a little. Sometimes they improve on the original & sometimes they make it to fit more then one application. Ive put a lot of them on from Moog & never had a problem. Be sure you put the indentation in the shaft on the correct end to fit the dowel at the U-bolt.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
You need to use new ones. Have you tried them with the caps. Sometimes after market parts vary a little. Sometimes they improve on the original & sometimes they make it to fit more then one application. Ive put a lot of them on from Moog & never had a problem. Be sure you put the indentation in the shaft on the correct end to fit the dowel at the U-bolt.
Thanks for responding but I have not tried installing them yet because both of the new shafts are not the same; you can see both new shafts in my pics. My originals are identical on the ends so that is why I am hesitant to install the new ones.

Moog has always been great in the past, but this is strange?? Anyone else have ideas.
1986 Buick T-Type
Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

so many people swap out these front ends and put the newer ones in that have the press in ones and I feel these are better Fitting and cost a hell of a lot less to do then the new trucks bushings you go to a shop to have the this one done 1967--72 and to do the 1973 and later cost more
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
so many people swap out these front ends and put the newer ones in that have the press in ones and I feel these are better Fitting and cost a hell of a lot less to do then the new trucks bushings you go to a shop to have the this one done 1967--72 and to do the 1973 and later cost more
All my front end pieces are powder coated including the cross member so it is a little too late to go the later model front end direction. All my original stuff is in such good condition it would be a shame to not use it. I agree the later model stuff with the rubber press in bushings is easier to work with but I like the originality of keeping the truck the same. Hopefully someone will have some idea of why these lower shafts are so much different.
1986 Buick T-Type
Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
eagleuh1

I just did mine back in the spring, but I didn't take pics of the new stuff. If I recall right though mine had the machined surface like your new one. Its just where the grease seal rides I believe. You can slide your grease seal on to verify this. I'll look at my old ones that I saved and see what they look like when I get the chance. My new ones were 1 Moog from Turkey I think and one TRW made in USA. They both were exactly like your new one though I believe. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Horsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
I just did mine back in the spring, but I didn't take pics of the new stuff. If I recall right though mine had the machined surface like your new one. Its just where the grease seal rides I believe. You can slide your grease seal on to verify this. I'll look at my old ones that I saved and see what they look like when I get the chance. My new ones were 1 Moog from Turkey I think and one TRW made in USA. They both were exactly like your new one though I believe. Jim
Thanks Jim...my pic is showing both new parts. They are both new and obviously different. The one shown in the bottom of both pics most closely resembles the original part. That's where my confusion comes in, same part number but different parts.
1986 Buick T-Type