The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
bluesfella

First-time replacing a clutch

So, this is my first time replacing a clutch, and I have a question. I have a '66 C10 with the straight 6 and three speed. All original with only 75,000 miles, but rusty as can be.

Anyway, the clutch is out, so I bought a stock replacement. I just pulled the trans out tonight, but I left the bell housing in place. I haven't pulled the clutch off yet, but will get to that tomorrow night. My question - since the bell housing has the mounts that basically support the rear of the engine, I think it would be easier to leave it in place. Can I pull the clutch and put in the new clutch without removing the bell housing? It looks like it might work, but before I get too far, I wanted to ask the experts! Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
nachodog2
Hell yeah!!!

Re: First-time replacing a clutch

Remove the bell housing, you can support the motor from the bottom with a jack and a good sized piece of wood, some 3/4 inch plywood 12x12. Just a bit of pressure with the jack, don't lift it just support it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If you have the two piece style bellhousing with the tin cover underneath, you can simply remove the pan and pull the clutch and pressure plate out through the bottom. You will need to turn the engine over a few times to reach all the pressure plate bolts. A large screwdriver can be used against the flywheel teeth, or you can pick up a flywheel turning tool to make it easier. It requires less effort if you remove the spark plugs. If you have the one piece bellhousing there's no option but to remove the bellhousing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W80510/
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
bluesfella

Yep. it's the two-piece bell housing. I will try it that way, I'd rather not have to remove it if I don't have to. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
bluesfella

So, I had to remove the bellhousing after all. The clutch and pressure plate just wouldn't fit through the opening, and I didn't want to force anything and scratch up the flywheel. Plus, since this is my first time doing a clutch, I wanted to have plenty of room to get it right when re-installing.

I supported the motor, pulled the bellhousing, and just finished cleaning it and the crossmember (and motor mounts). Talk about a dirty job...

I'm thinking about removing the flywheel to get a good look at the rear main seal, I have no idea what shape it's in. How easy is this to change out? (250 straight 6)