The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
XtechX

What wheels and tires?

Anybody have any ideas or recomendations for wheels and tires that will fit my truck? It has a '72 front discs and the '72 drum rearend under it (5 bolt), since its so hard to find used 15" wheels anymore, what 16" and up wheels will fit? (from newer model truck/cars)
I'm looking to do this as cheap as possible, so I wont be buying new right now,looking for something off from craigslist or ebay or from another member here, possibly.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
FrankieD

Re: What wheels and tires?

About any 5 lug chevy pick up will work. I have some use the mid 90's aloy wheels. I picked a new set if American Racing Outlaws 8 X 15 in the box and 10 X 15 with new 295 - 50's on them for $350 off Craigs list
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
kieth

pick up rallyes are the cheap way to go, but you sure cannot beat FrankieD's deal, The only trouble I had on my 66 was the 5 x 5 rear brake drums and the center flange of the wheel did not want to play together. We had to slightly enlarge the hole in the center of the wheel to make it fit. 1/16" all around did the trick......mine are 15 x 8 and I have a set of 17 x 9 cragers that are 5 x 4 3/4 I have not modded my front rotors or rear axle to fit them yet but will do so later.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
jocko

if you have 5 lug all around - and you're trying to do it on the cheap - I recommend 4 mid-70's truck disk brake steelies. Should be plentiful in most junkyards since you went 5 lug. Paint them up and leave em without caps or perhaps a poverty cap or a truck cap - all of which are cheap. If you want to spruce them up further and have $ available from what you saved by junkyard crawling, then powder coat them instead of painting them. Personally, I'm a big fan of that approach. But it can be as expensive as new wheels - so not the cheapest approach - all depends on budget and what you're willing to do yourself. (i.e. why I powder coat my wheels when i can - seems EVERY time I paint wheels, they get scratched to pieces or the "guaranteed to never peel rally wheel argent silver diamond kote" nonsense peels off when I fart.

Anyway, my 2 cents only - but I think there's not much better looking wheel than a clean steelie. Depending on your truck, a blackwall tire looks great - or perhaps if lowered, big wide whites against a black wheel... Oooooooooh now you're talkin.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
FrankieD

Here is very cool program from jegs select your truck and try on some wheels.

http://www.autowaretech9.net/nextwheels/jegs_ec.htm
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Blue Heeler

I bought new rally from wheels vintigue i think that's how it's spelled, anyways 73 buck a pop i love them 15x8 rear 15x7 up front. they will build you what ever you want.
Blue Heeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
FrankieD

[QUOTE=jocko;4799989] argent silver diamond kote" nonsense peels off when I fart.QUOTE]

Ya need to lay off the PBR and Beans
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
XtechX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heeler View Post
I bought new rally from wheels vintigue i think that's how it's spelled, anyways 73 buck a pop i love them 15x8 rear 15x7 up front. they will build you what ever you want.
Got any pics of the new wheels?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
JRBECK64

I Personally like the late 60s Rallys on these old trucks. But thats just me!!

JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Blue Heeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
Got any pics of the new wheels?
Let me know if you need closer pic's.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
XtechX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
I Personally like the late 60s Rallys on these old trucks. But thats just me!!

I'm a big fan of those type of ralleys my self. I have ralleys on it now and I like them, but I like the type that you have the best, can I put the wide chrome glamour rings on the ones I have? I think mine are the 1972 model rims ( 2" wide rings, I think). Also, can I use your type of center caps?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
jocko

Blue Heeler, that's cool - I've seen those on your truck in previous pics (I think) and never realized they were actaully rally wheels. Looks great.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Blue Heeler

Quote:
I'm a big fan of those type of ralleys my self. I have ralleys on it now and I like them, but I like the type that you have the best, can I put the wide chrome glamour rings on the ones I have? I think mine are the 1972 model rims ( 2" wide rings, I think). Also, can I use your type of center caps?
Those are chevy disc brake flatcaps "ebay" 80 bucks for set of 4. i painted the rims satin black and forget the rings, if i were to run rings i would try the ribbed ones but the minute you put them on yer gonna scratch the paint off.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
jocko

Quote:
but the minute you put them on yer gonna scratch the paint off.
Aint that the truth. I've come to the conclusion I am no longer a trim ring kinda guy for that simple reason. And now I actually like the looks of the wheels better without rings - regardless of color. But that's just me.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
oldtrux

sweet truck blue heeler,what drop you runnin?
oldtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Blue Heeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrux View Post
sweet truck blue heeler,what drop you runnin?
Running 3 up front and 4 rear. I was thinking of doing 5 up front and 6 rear,
but also thinking about bagging the rear so i can still put some tools in the bed since i use it for welding.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
JRBECK64

Quote:
Here is the challenges we had with them. Im not sure about the beauty rings for your rims but If I had to guess I would say yes. The Biggest challenge on these Derby Hub Caps is that the retaining rings on mine were a little beat up and we ended up putting a small bead of weld (On the Rim) on the 3 points that hold the hub cap on so they would be a much tighter fit. Ive heard horror stories about these hubcaps coming off never to be seen again. I did buy a really nice set of original caps that were almost flawless and I stole pretty much $25 each. I know there is a company that makes a plastic repop but dont know much about them or how they hold up or look. It was worth the time and effort to make these Fit and I would do it again because I really like the looks of them. I hope this helps.

JRBECK64
Old 07-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Blue Heeler

Quote:
Here is the challenges we had with them. Im not sure about the beauty rings for your rims but If I had to guess I would say yes. The Biggest challenge on these Derby Hub Caps is that the retaining rings on mine were a little beat up and we ended up putting a small bead of weld (On the Rim) on the 3 points that hold the hub cap on so they would be a much tighter fit. Ive heard horror stories about these hubcaps coming off never to be seen again. I did buy a really nice set of original caps that were almost flawless and I stole pretty much $25 each. I know there is a company that makes a plastic repop but dont know much about them or how they hold up or look. It was worth the time and effort to make these Fit and I would do it again because I really like the looks of them. I hope this helps.

JRBECK64
I have fixed a couple for some friends by welding a bead on the nipple where the cap pops in, then run a flap wheel and shape it and they stay on pretty tight. here is a picture i took before i put them on the truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
JRBECK64

Quote:
I have fixed a couple for some friends by welding a bead on the nipple where the cap pops in, then run a flap wheel and shape it and they stay on pretty tight. here is a picture i took before i put them on the truck.
They look like a million bucks. when you going to post pictures with them on the truck.

JRBECK64
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

See post #10 above.....

Quote:
They look like a million bucks. when you going to post pictures with them on the truck.

JRBECK64
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #21
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
See post #10 above.....
Those don't look like the same rims on the truck. Maybe its because its not a up close pictue. I expanded the picture on my phone but they are really hard to see.9

JRBECL648
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #22
Blue Heeler

If anyone needs some pic's with the rims on the truck feel free to ask i'll take a picture for you and post them for you!! it's better getting the stance you want by looking at someone lowered truck before you spend the money and not be happy. just my 2 pesos.