The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
PhileCool

New Member Just got me a 1970 Chevy C/20 Camper Special in May 2011

I got me a great deal I think anyhow on my newly used Chevy.Saw it in the paper went to see and drive it, my wife was thinking no when we first saw it it was so dirty. but i pointed out how straight the body was no rust under it frame is in excellent shape, and just minor body rust. and 1 or 2 small dings. It started right up and purred like a kitten. Took it for a drive I was amazed how smooth it road and no rattles, no play in the steering. Just a nice riding old truck.here is what it looked like when i first got it top pic. got it for 1200$ all original 103,000 miles ps,pb, factory a/c. The guy I got it from baught it 25 yrs ago from AZ from original owner his dad brought it back to ohio and used it on his farm for the next 25 yrs only adding 25,000 to it. It's got the 350 in it not sure what trans yet it's an automatic prob a th350 I hope it's the th400 but not sure if the 70 had that option. Has 12 bolt dana 60 I was told with 4.11 gears 65 on the highway is about 3200 rpm's. a pic of spedo, and some inside pics & another after i cleaned and cleaned on it..my profile pic is after i put some wax on it.. I need to replace the winshield ( has the milky look arond edges) replace rocker panels rather use filler. recover seat. has a few tears. paint it. I think I'll keep it original.. Has the amjams in it would like to add a newer stereo but want to keep dash orig, so I don't know how to tackle that one. well thats about it for now... Oh Question how do I post pics in sentence (sepperate) insted of all together..Thanks Phillip
Attached Images

PhileCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
PhileCool

Re: New Member Just got me a 1970 Chevy C/20 Camper Special in May 2011

Another question on my dash right under the lights switch it a knob like the rest but says Throttle? all I can tell is the when u pull it rpm increase and stay wherever u leave it. whats this for? I have not seen this in any other old Chevy.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
PhileCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Looks like a solid truck! Nice buy at $1200!!
Thank you!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Maxxd07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhileCool View Post
Another question on my dash right under the lights switch it a knob like the rest but says Throttle? all I can tell is the when u pull it rpm increase and stay wherever u leave it. whats this for? I have not seen this in any other old Chevy.
Cruise control. No no just kidding, handy for jump starting and if a person would have had some kind of pto or engine driven hydraulic pump or something of that nature.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
PhileCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Cruise control. No no just kidding, handy for jump starting and if a person would have had some kind of pto or engine driven hydraulic pump or something of that nature.
Hey thanks thats kinda what I figured just wasn't sure I saw a few trucks that had it and alot that didn't.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Hooney72

Isnt it a manual choke?
Hooney72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
dmack91

Manual choke is on the right side of the cluster, hand throttle on the left.

As for the trans, here is a pic of the pans of each (#3 and 4 in the pic). Easiest way to ID which you have.

http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

Also, try polishing out the paint. You may be surprised what you can accomplish with a can of polishing compound and a cheap buffer.

Have fun with the project. Looks great.

Also, for the stereo, I hung one on a plate under the dash. Didn't want to cut mine either.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Steve Hafner

Is the manual throttle listed on the SPID on the glove box door ? That way you'll be able to tell if it was factory or dealer installed ( it could have been either ) Post a picture of it if you can. Most of the 70's I've seen have it under the light switch, on the left, but a few have it under the wiper switch.
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
PhileCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hafner View Post
Is the manual throttle listed on the SPID on the glove box door ? That way you'll be able to tell if it was factory or dealer installed ( it could have been either ) Post a picture of it if you can. Most of the 70's I've seen have it under the light switch, on the left, but a few have it under the wiper switch.
mine is under the light switch, on the left..
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
PhileCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhileCool View Post
mine is under the light switch, on the left..
Also I looked on spid in glovebox and it had throttle or manual throttle listed from factory, whoever ordered this truck must of had some extras added, I tried to get pic but cell couldn't get good pic here is the one that turned out but not the right side.if ya look close on left side above V-8 ENG you can see the TTLE of the throttle listing... I like my truck, now I'm having a heck of a time getting the old speaker out it's dry rotted... thanks again if ya know anything else or sites that can help let me know..TY Phillip
Attached Images