The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Tough decision to make. Need opinions asap!!!!

First off I'm building a '69 drag truck. Trying to find random parts to make her better/look better. I have a fairly brand new hood that has its typical fading from the sun. ZERO rust. I'm going to try and post 2 links to what I'm stuck on getting. First is some slotted mag wheels, second is a hood. Guy says in post he may trade for normal hood w/out cowl. He wants $200. I believe mine is worth $180, plus his has some cracks in the cowl. I'll let you guys decide.

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/2506793595.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/2494687697.html
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Tough decision to make. Need opinions asap!!!!

Metal hood + Fiberglass Scoop = never ending cracks in the bondo.
I would stay away from that hood.
They make steel cowl hoods now.
No need to buy that one.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Can you say Sleeper.
Run your stock hood, unless your motor is too tall. Got a blower or super high rise intake? Save your money, if your drag racing your going to need it!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
cdowns

for racing i'd b lookin to cut weight so any change in a hood i'd b lookin at fiberglass and shedding as much weight as possible
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

I fully understand where your coming from. I'm not looking to buy the hood, I'm looking to trade straight across for mine. The one I want to trade is on my DD, but I do have the original hood for it, in just as good of condition. NO rust on either. You guys think I could talk the guy down to $100 on the wheels at least, maybe lower, being the tires are practically bold?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
cdowns

i'd for sure try and get the wheels as cheap as possible. bad bald tires would cost at least $30-$40 to remove and get rid of around here
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by 70cst; 07-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Zeke's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I fully understand where your coming from. I'm not looking to buy the hood, I'm looking to trade straight across for mine. The one I want to trade is on my DD, but I do have the original hood for it, in just as good of condition. NO rust on either. You guys think I could talk the guy down to $100 on the wheels at least, maybe lower, being the tires are practically bold?
You can always try to bargain with the guy over the tires and wheels, but in my opinion that's a pretty good deal just for the wheels if they're in good shape. I looked for several months before I found a set for my '67.

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
71swb4x4

There is a reason he is willing to trade the cowl hood for a stock hood, you don't want it. In pictures the hood looks great, I have a feeling in real life you will see the real problems.

The wheels look very nice. I think they are worth the asking price unless the pictures are hiding something.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

For drag racing you're gonna want at least an 8" wide rim for the rear. 10" would be better for wider tires. Not sure how serious you are about drag racing... but you'll wanna screw the tire to the rim as well.

But for a "street/strip" truck... those rims would be okay.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
low&slow
Account Suspended

Thanks for all the inputs. The hood was in pretty bad condition. The cowl itself was cracked as well as cracking from the bondo to hood. The front of the hood was all chipped. He said my hood was only worth $50 so he wanted my tailgate as well and said that was only worth $50 and it's perfectly straight with no rust. So he wanted the hood and tailgate plus $100. Thanks to your guys advice, I told him he could shove it up his A**.

I ended up getting the wheels. I talked him down to $100. The tires where pretty bad. Put them on my truck on the way home and had 2 of them blow on me. Thank goodness I didn't mess the rims up. All in all, this is a great site. You guys saved my a lot of hassle as well as money.

And yes I'm very serious about drag racing. I do have wider tires for the back. Unfortunately I can't race at the track anymore because it's to fast without the proper safety equipment.