The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Black 'n' Blue

197? Diesel C10 shortbox

Hey, so in my back lane just sitting there is this later 70's diesel shortbox, the truck is in great shape except for the rockers. I was thinking about talking to the guy about it because I needs some stuff for my truck. I was wondering if that is a rare combo, or a everyday thing. Like I said it's in great shape, unknown if it run, its been sitting for at atleast 3 years. If it's an everyday truck I'll see if I can get it and part it out to me and to you guys, if its rare how would I go about restoring it?
Bradley Anderson 1997-2011
Black 'n' Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 197? Diesel C10 shortbox

most of the diesels i know of were all longbed if not duallies.. if its in that good a shape its definately worth restoring... its getting older and rarer

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
VegasBruce

The first of the Diesels based on the Olds 350 were available in the half tons, starting in '78. The engine was a POS, so I wouldn't place any collector value on the truck.

73 Stepside, 74 Blazer, 75 1 Ton, 66 Barracuda and a 05 Electraglide DD

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Rusti192-1.jpg
VegasBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Black 'n' Blue

Would you be able to swap a normal 350 in it, with out major modifications?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

ahh the 5.7 diesel. they are somewhat rare but desirebell no, because it has gotten a bad rep just like you hear about the 6.2/6.5
and NO it was not a converted gas the only thing incommen is bore, stroke and some external bolt patterns
i have heard its posible to convert it to a gas engine with smallblock heads but idk

If the truck is in good shape other than the rockers i would buy it and run it

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
rcbildr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 'n' Blue View Post
Would you be able to swap a normal 350 in it, with out major modifications?
A 350 will bolt right in. You will probably need a different torque converter for the trans.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Black 'n' Blue

I'll probably talk to him about it, and if I can get it cheap I'll part it out. What tranny's did they use? I need a tranny for my truck with a 350, would the one in there work?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
boatpuller

mine was a 79 shortbed diesel.the only remaining sign of it is the hydroboost.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
D13

The original diesel was an Olds 350 gas block modified to accept the injection pump, with a turned-down 455 crank shaft. These broke and leaked. The second generation have a DX block casting, significantly redsigned to increase block rigidity. They are pretty reliable. Many Olds racers take the DX block and put on gas heads, makes a vry stout bottom end for their drag cars. Very few Olds Diesel powered trucks remain, as not many were built and many owners got frustrated with the issues and swapped in gas motors.
Not sure if the back of the block was Chevy or BOP pattern (It was a long time ago when I worked for Olds), you might have to swap the trans to bolt a small Chevy in it. Definitely the converter, and you'll need the gasser wiring harness (pretty easy to come by).

Personally, if it runs, I'd drive it as a diesel, remember diesels need clean fuel and keep the oil changed. If you do swap the motor out put it on CL, those Olds boys would be interested.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

You need to swap the transmission too, if you are going to a small block Chevy. They had the BOP bellhousing. That's why many of them were converted to Olds engines when going to gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
The original diesel was an Olds 350 gas block modified to accept the injection pump, with a turned-down 455 crank shaft. These broke and leaked. The second generation have a DX block casting, significantly redsigned to increase block rigidity. They are pretty reliable. Many Olds racers take the DX block and put on gas heads, makes a vry stout bottom end for their drag cars. Very few Olds Diesel powered trucks remain, as not many were built and many owners got frustrated with the issues and swapped in gas motors.
Not sure if the back of the block was Chevy or BOP pattern (It was a long time ago when I worked for Olds), you might have to swap the trans to bolt a small Chevy in it. Definitely the converter, and you'll need the gasser wiring harness (pretty easy to come by).

Personally, if it runs, I'd drive it as a diesel, remember diesels need clean fuel and keep the oil changed. If you do swap the motor out put it on CL, those Olds boys would be interested.
The old "converted 350 rocket" tale keeps going around. Kinda like saying the AMG Detroit 6.xL diesel are just a 454 converted to diesel. Yeah they drop in and fit the motor mounts and tranny but that's it.

The 350N and 350DX were their own animal. The 350N dropped the cranks out the bottom and broke up the block because the main bolts weren't drilled and tapped long enough to keep it inside. Internally the N and DX are a completely different casting from the Rocket engine. The injection pump boss is just the beginning. Cylinder walls were 2x at least thicker. Main webs were heavier and extended all the way up to the lifter gallery.
The diesel crank? No... They aren't destroked 400 425 455 cranks. Diesel rods are their own deal too.

None of that makes it a good motor for anything but a grocery getter. I built 2 350 DX engines in the 90s. The excellent fuel mileage didn't make it worth doing ever again. They are horribly underpowered. 120hp max. Don't try to pass someone at 70mph cause it aint gonna happen. Reliability and performance in the Olds diesel are inversely proportional. More performance = exponentially lower reliability. My second re-build replaced my attempt at performance.

I do agree if it runs clean it up and drive it.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #12
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

I did 8 of these swaps but its been a while back , We went with olds gassers because it was quicker .

Belt drive is Olds....air con ,power steering ,alt brackets are 100% Oldsmoble .Even the Exhaust is Olds . Torque Converter will have to be replaced.

One advantage was these trucks seemed to be more sound insulated
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote