The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
neverwinter

need help please with brake bleeding 63 c10

well i got the lines run and the new single master cylinder installed. went to the rear right wheel and cracked the bleeder screw and used the mutyvac to try and pull the brake fluid through. after about 15 mins i still get nothing and the level in the master cyl has not changed. i see that if i turn the bleeder screw more than 3/4 of 1 turn, a little brake fluid seeps out. same with rear left wheel.

also when i looked at the master cyl plunger, i have to push the brake nearly to the floor before the brake rod really starts to actuate the master cyl. there was no fluid in the system before so maybe this will "fix itself" when all the lines are fully bled?

am i doing something wrong/missing something?

thanks in advance for any help.
- jason
neverwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
1999corvette

Re: need help please with brake bleeding 63 c10

Did you get the master cylinder bench bled good?
1999corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
awbrown

I dont like using vacuum to bleed brakes ... pressure at the master cylinder is the only way to go . But if you dont have a pressure cap to do it ,I have drilled a hole in the cover and put a shrader valve in it and just hit it with low pressure air ....... I normally just unhook the line at the master cylinder and put my finger on it and have someone pump the pedal til it gets so you know it is bled.. then hook the line up and proceed to bleed in the normal way ... of course if you have a new paint job this may not be the way to go ....also visually make sure the master cylinder piston is returned before doing any more bleeding ,it wont bleed if the piston is forward....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
onequickchevy

Rod length may be an issue, I had that issue on mine. It only felt like I had pedal when it was almost to the floor. X 2 on the pressure bleed from the master cylinder. You can make your own with an extra cap, a fitting and a small pump up sprayer, or buy one at HF.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Born Lucky

I redid all my system on my 64 C20.I replaced all lines. brakes hareware all around,new master and never could get my system correct.
I bled and bled and the stopping force was not right. I even purchased the Phonix System (reverse bleeding) and it did not work correctly.I finally build a pressure system that forces the fluid into the master and finally got my brakes right. Do a search on Google and you can build a unit for cheap!
Look at your manuel I beleive your system should be the same,Pressure bleeding!
Born Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Lucky View Post
.I finally build a pressure system that forces the fluid into the master and finally got my brakes right. Do a search on Google and you can build a unit for cheap!
Look at your manuel I beleive your system should be the same,Pressure bleeding!
I agree! 15$ hudson sprayer from HD and a couple quick disconnects from my compressor. Worked great!

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote