The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
reecetas7196

Exclamation Need help wiring an aftermarket CD player

I just recently bought a 69 Chevy C20 and didn't come with a radio in it. The previous owner had installed some speakers and a cd player, but took the player out before I bought it so all thats left is the speaker wires and a few other wires that I'm not sure about. I need help figuring out how to wire in my new Kenwood cd player. I know which wires to connect for the speakers but not the others. If anyone could help me out that would awesome! Thanks
reecetas7196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
metal chevy

Re: Need help wiring an aftermarket CD player

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecetas7196 View Post
I just recently bought a 69 Chevy C20 and didn't come with a radio in it. The previous owner had installed some speakers and a cd player, but took the player out before I bought it so all thats left is the speaker wires and a few other wires that I'm not sure about. I need help figuring out how to wire in my new Kenwood cd player. I know which wires to connect for the speakers but not the others. If anyone could help me out that would awesome! Thanks
If you know which wires are for speakers, the rest shouldnt be much trouble. Youll just have to wire up the Power wire that runs to the battery, the ground, the accesory( usually red) and the Ignition switch, what tells it to turn off/on when you turn the key. Im not sure about your 69, but in my 82 Orange was power, yellow was ignition, black was ground. Most modern cd players/decks have the same color coded wires.
metal chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
reecetas7196

I'm don't think any of the wires for the radio are colored. I asked the guy I bought the truck from how he did it but he couldn't all explain it lol are the radio wires connected to the fuse box or what? I'm pretty new at all this stuff. The truck is a work in progress with a long way to go. I just want some music while I ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
stich626
Account Suspended

the kenwood deck will have these wires
red + this goes to the switched power source (fusebox has a spade terminal marked radio, use this)
yellow this is another + but this is to save the memory in the radio, your channels, the eq settings, bass treble/etc this goes to a always hot source (most times people will use the power off the cig lighter others will go all the way to the battery..)
black is ground -
blue is a + lead that runs to an amp to remotely turn it on, only used if you run amps, some units will have 2 of these one for the remote amp turn on and one for a power antena
orange this on alot of decks is for your cell phone , it is a mute, when a call comes in it mute the radio..
rca (out)jacks, these are for an amp
rca(in) jacks these are for pluging in another source (ipod/ sat radio/etc)
usb some decks have this and it's for your ipod
speaker leads you said your good with
with your install
the blue/orange and rca jacks are not used.. at least for now, down the line if you add stuff them maybe.
so you just have to worry about the red/black/yellow and speaker leads..
have fun
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
SWB4x4

do you have a light tester? if not go grab one they arent much $$

you say you know which wires are for the speakers so disregard those.... take the light tester and check which one of the wires has power with the key turned off for your constant (runs the clock,memory, etc on your deck) hook that up to the designated wire on your kenwood the yellow in this case.... then turn your key on and find the one that has power for your main power (turn key on and off to make sure it is a keyed one) hook that up to the red wire on your kenwood...lastly you need a ground you can take the black wire off the back of your kenwood and ground it to some metal pretty easily or use the existing ground...make sure the speakers are hooked up and wala u got tunes if you are running just the deck to power the speakers this is pretty much all you will need.

[IMG]www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151417.gif[/IMG]

1972 SWB 4X4 on 35"s with 6" lift all around 3/4 ton running gear with high steer and 4.88s 350/th350. SOON TO BE DONE:2" higher in front 37"s,LSX Swap,Hugger Orange & White Paint Scheme,Air Conditioning,Power Windows & Locks,Complete Gauge Kit,Tank Relocation,Double Din Nav with full Audio System.

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4169140
SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
reecetas7196

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB4x4 View Post
do you have a light tester? if not go grab one they arent much $$

you say you know which wires are for the speakers so disregard those.... take the light tester and check which one of the wires has power with the key turned off for your constant (runs the clock,memory, etc on your deck) hook that up to the designated wire on your kenwood the yellow in this case.... then turn your key on and find the one that has power for your main power (turn key on and off to make sure it is a keyed one) hook that up to the red wire on your kenwood...lastly you need a ground you can take the black wire off the back of your kenwood and ground it to some metal pretty easily or use the existing ground...make sure the speakers are hooked up and wala u got tunes if you are running just the deck to power the speakers this is pretty much all you will need.

[IMG]www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151417.gif[/IMG]

awesome! I appreciate the reply. I don't really have the money for the tester, but I have a buddy that may have one. This stereo is pretty much temp for right now until I can either get the money to find and purchase an original radio or until I can get the money to buy one of these http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xInbKB5...trosound...but thanks again for the help! Its greatly appreciated
Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
craigger007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
the kenwood deck will have these wires
red + this goes to the switched power source (fusebox has a spade terminal marked radio, use this)
yellow this is another + but this is to save the memory in the radio, your channels, the eq settings, bass treble/etc this goes to a always hot source (most times people will use the power off the cig lighter others will go all the way to the battery..)
black is ground -
blue is a + lead that runs to an amp to remotely turn it on, only used if you run amps, some units will have 2 of these one for the remote amp turn on and one for a power antena
orange this on alot of decks is for your cell phone , it is a mute, when a call comes in it mute the radio..
rca (out)jacks, these are for an amp
rca(in) jacks these are for pluging in another source (ipod/ sat radio/etc)
usb some decks have this and it's for your ipod
speaker leads you said your good with
with your install
the blue/orange and rca jacks are not used.. at least for now, down the line if you add stuff them maybe.
so you just have to worry about the red/black/yellow and speaker leads..
have fun
Stich, I am right in the middle of installing a deck(first time ever by self) and this post just saved me a bunch of research and resolved a bunch of confusion. I was confused on the yellow/constant deal as the deck I pulled out of mine didn't have that. Thank you sooo much!!! I would Nominate this as a sticky for other noobs like myself.
craigger007 is offline   Reply With Quote