The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
qksilver

69 k5 QUESTIONS

I have been chasing this blazer down for over 7 years. Saw it here and there but never could get close enough. The first few years it was a really cherry survivor, then it was turned into a monster truck. Then I saw it but didn't realize it was the same K5. Currently it is a roadster. with cut down doors and lots of aluminum diamond plate used as interior side panels, caps for the doors and bed? top. Bed liner sprayed everywhere the diamond plate isn't, inside and under the tub. The body has been sprayed also with a different kind of bed liner. I know, no pics until Thursday. I looked at it in the middle of a bad thunder storm.

NO RUST, originally came from California, motor and trans was pulled. The funny thing is it popped up on Craigs list, I emailed and talked to the original owner son's. He lives 2 block away from me! We live in a smal old subdivision outside of a small town next to the back entrance of Fort Bragg. Have to say it, small world.

The questions are about getting it back to original, body wise.

The doors are cut down with no vent windows, can I use/modify burb or p/u doors?

The windshield frame looks like there was/is a cap? There are no brackets and two triangle shaped holes on either end. Anybody have some pix of where the top would mount to the windshield frame?

It hasn't had a top on it for 4 or 5 years so the body seems to have sagged, the doors are hard to open and close but the hinges are good. It needs body mounts hope that will straighten the door gap.

The son put racing buckets in it but left the console and took off all the chrome and factory bumpers.

Of course he got rid of all the factory parts but for the price and no rust?

Thanks,
steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
BOHICA

Re: 69 k5 QUESTIONS

Don't forget, bedliner is a PITA to remove. I would account for a lot of elbow grease in getting it off when you look at the price. Yes, you can use regular doors. They're identical to Blazer ones except they have part of the top cut off. You'll need to have an original handy or get measurements from someone, though, so you know where to cut behind the vent window. If/when you go back to look at it, give it a thorough going over looking for spots where it's been hacked up. Sounds like the PO didn't care what he did to the Blazer and it's been my experience that people like that are bad for screwing stuff up/doing a piss poor job. Are the windows and regulators still in the doors under the caps?

Good luck!
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
truckster

Just wondering- would paint stripper remove bedliner?

If not, I think the project sounds overwhelming.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
BOHICA

Just a wild guess, but it might work on the cheaper stuff. Stripper works by going through the paint and removing/loosening the bond between it and metal. As thick and rubberized as it is, you'd almost certainly be wasting your time trying it on Line-x or Rhino Liner, but it might take off the thinner aerosol liner.
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
71swb4x4

I think I would rather repair come rust in factory pieces that have to repair custom fabrication. At least with the rusty factory pieces you know what's there, or isn't there. With the custom modifications there could be some surprises.

That being said for the $1,000 he is asking I think you could sell the winch, bumpers rollbar, wheels and seats and probably get all of your money back. See if he will take a little less.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
qksilver

I am going to look at it in the morning again. I do prefer a truck that hasn't had anybody or paint work do to it. Easier to see what it needs. Getting the bed liner stuff off is going to be a pain.

It was a driving truck until a few eeks ago, so I am going to put a motor and trans in it so i can move it around.

You are right there are enough non stock parts that i can sell. The axles are upgraded 3:73 which works out and a good dual exhaust system. I don't have a top, buckets, doors but pretty everything else. My concern was the floor, boxes etc and definitely the windshield frame.

Tomorrow will tell.

Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote