The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
fine 67

question of the year

why do aftermarket parts fit like crap or do not fit at all!!!!! in 40 freaking years no one can make the same as oem. heres what really pisses me off we can make phones ,i.pods computers but we can not cut a piece of rubber or make a piece of weatherstrip. i have a tons of time and money in my truck to find out the front fender seals were cut for a yugo .the door seal will take a 20 ton portapower to get them to close and on and on . i'm sure all the people on this site would not mind paying a little more for a piece had fit right .i did not name any suppliers just need sum help on where to buy thanks
fine 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: question of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine 67 View Post
why do aftermarket parts fit like crap or do not fit at all!!!!!
In three short words:

MADE IN CHINA
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
BLK96

Take a look at the phones, computers, ipods etc. and see how many are actually made here - my guess is none. Not to start a political war here but anyone who buys a foreign (especially Asian - horrible trade laws) product WHEN A US PRODUCT IS AVAIL deserves the unemployment line IMHO.
BLK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
MistaGavin

Actually alot of reproduction parts are made in Taiwan. I have no complaints on alot of the parts I have bought. Some you do have to struggle with, but thats why oem nos parts cost so much. I would much rather support Taiwan than China, and the quality is much better when similar products from either country are compared. I think my weatherstrip was in fact made in USA. I look for USA made parts and products non truck related but they are very slim.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

In my opinion, and it's just that, an opinion, it doesn't matter if it's made here, there or somewhere in between. Different company's have different tolerances. Company "A" will make a part 4" long with a 3/8" hole +- 1/16" and centered +- 1/16". Company "B" make the same part with 1/8"+- tolerances. If "A" makes it 1/16" to the left and "B" makes it 1/8" to the right there is a 3/16" difference. It doesn't sound like much but in some case 1/16" can seem like a mile. Like I said this is all my opinion so take it for what it's worth. (not much)

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

It is what it is... get used to it. It's not going away anytime soon. No sense in complainin' about it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote