The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
stickelspeed

question re: Braided vs Hard Brake Lines

I am building my brake system and am contemplating running stainless braided lines (BrakeQuip) throughout as opposed to hardlines.

Basically the cost ends up being a bit of a factor but it's really not that expensive to run the braided throughout. By the time I buy the flaring and bending tools required, it ends up being a non-issue.

I've scoured the internet and have found that there are two camps on this topic but seemingly very few people who have actually tried it and have conclusive input. Most of the negative input is that you end up with a "spongy" feel and this seems to be mostly generic hearsay rather than voice of experience..

If there is "sponginess", is it a function of brand/quality of the stainless lines used..or just

My question is, has anyone here tried this and have feedback for me.

Thanks..

Here's my Worlds Slowest Dropmember Build and, you can check me out on Instagram as @stickelspeed and @digitalc10
stickelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
bruin_d

Re: question re: Braided vs Hard Brake Lines

I have not tried it but planning on giving it a shot too. I've spent quite a bit of time talking with my neighbor who is a Boeing engineer and specializes in hydraulics and also the guy at the local aeroquip shop. They all seem to think it will be fine. Since I've torn mine apart and added Baer brakes and a better booster/master cylinder setup anyway, they all said I wouldn't notice anything. It is more expensive but I think it would be much easier.

Part of me wants to do it to find out for myself. Like you said, everything I've read on the internet is hearsay and no actual experience with it.
bruin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
jtp67-72

I did this partially on a pro street truck I built in early 90's--lines off of master cylinder to proportional valve--about 2 1/2 ft total---local napa dealer did them for me-looked killer-told me he would not be responsible but they were rated at like 3000 psi + ----Way over kill ---brakes worked perfect...........jim
jtp67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
BigDan3131

Just be sure you use the braided line rated not only for higher pressure but fluid. Fuel line is lined differently than the brake hoses are. I'm with you about the whole it will feel spongy bs. Rubber lines expand and contract with heat and use the teflon lined braided hoses wont. Besides the fact the flying debris can cut rubber hoses or ding steel ones. Just get some of that orange or silver insulation to give them extra protection and to keep them cool near exhaust heat.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
oldspowered67C10

I think as long as you used high quality braided hose it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Id imagine that it wouldn't have quite the pedal feel of one that had hard lines but I doubt it would be a huge difference.

My concern would be routing and longevity. I'm sure with enough cable clamps you could support it and keep it safe from chaffing but you'd probably want to support it every few inches and that's a lot clamps, hard line you only need to support every couple of feet or so. Also those hoses don't last forever. I'm sure they last alot longer than typical braided hose used for fuel and oil but I'm sure there is a recommended replacement time. You run stainless hard line and it'll probably outlast the truck.

Here's my opinion of how brake systems should be plumbed. Get a bunch of 3/16" stainless tube(McMaster Carr sells it in straight lengths), a good 37 degree flaring tool, a decent tubing bender and the appropriate type and amount of plated steel -3 AN/JIC fittings and tube nuts/sleeves. If you use the stainless tubing and the 37 degree flare of the AN/JIC style fittings there's no need to double flare, they look very professional and they can be disassembled many times and don't lose their ability to seal like a typical inverted flare type fitting. Itll cost a little more to do but itll end up being a solid reliable system and that last virtually forever.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
texastrendz

I am sure some material in a braided brake line is going to fail. I would run as much hard line as possible if you can. I know in braided fuel line the rubber does eventually fail and cause issues. This is why I run as much hard line as possible. Once again this is just my two cents. I have ran hydraulic hose for airline on some of my projects and have had zero issues. I would go with what most manufactures go with, hard line to minimal soft line. Brakes is important. lol
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

braided brakes lines don't use rubber ... they are teflon lined.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
texastrendz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
braided brakes lines don't use rubber ... they are teflon lined.
who said they had rubber in brake hoses....
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
I am sure some material in a braided brake line is going to fail. I would run as much hard line as possible if you can. I know in braided fuel line the rubber does eventually fail and cause issues.
based on the the comparison you made between braided brake line possibly failing and braided fuel lines failing you seem to be implying that both were rubber-lined.

if that is not what you meant, then what did you mean?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
texastrendz

nah, i knew they were not rubber, i know some are teflon based and i think some are pvc base material also. i just thought you heard somewhere else they were rubber lined.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

gotcha ...