The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
patriot9879

question re 700R4

After a lot of reading and a fair amount of tinkering, I am thinking that there is something not right about the 700R4 in my '71 k10. I have done the TV cable set procedure several times, and verified that the TV is being pulled to full travel at WOT (but not more). Even still the shifts are real soft and seem to happen way too soon and the trans does not like to down shift past 3rd even cruising @ 55 or 60 and mashing the pedal. I do not know anything about the history of the trans, so I am wondering if I should take it to a competent shop to have it looked at. I do not want to cause any more damage than I'm sure has been caused already. Can anyone suggest a good shop in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks
--Steve
patriot9879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
s_nova69

Re: question re 700R4

A 700r4 has a governor that dictates when the trans shifts. When it shifts too soon the governor needs to be changed to one that has heavier weights. Any good trans shop can help you and usually have extra ones lying around to try out. It is really simple to change them. Just find the round cover that has a wire holding it down and pop it off. The governor will just slide out and a different one can be put in. A little fluid will come out so have a catch can or rag. The governor is an easy fix. You can also buy a TCI governor calibrating kit and adjust the one you have to your needs. Good luck
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot9879 View Post
After a lot of reading and a fair amount of tinkering, I am thinking that there is something not right about the 700R4 in my '71 k10. I have done the TV cable set procedure several times, and verified that the TV is being pulled to full travel at WOT (but not more). Even still the shifts are real soft and seem to happen way too soon and the trans does not like to down shift past 3rd even cruising @ 55 or 60 and mashing the pedal. I do not know anything about the history of the trans, so I am wondering if I should take it to a competent shop to have it looked at. I do not want to cause any more damage than I'm sure has been caused already. Can anyone suggest a good shop in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks
--Steve
What gears do you have in your diffs? If you're running 3.07's, that 700r4 probably won't want to shift into OD at 55 or 60.

I've read on here that guys with 3.07s that went from a 1:1 final ratio tranny to a 700r4 actually saw a DECREASE in mileage because a .7:1 final ratio with 3.07s causes the engine to operate BELOW its power band.

Do you have a tach? What kind of rpms are you seeing at 55 mph?
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
patriot9879

I do not currently have a tach...working to fix that problem. I believe that the truck has 3.07's in it. It does seem to shift into OD somewhere between 60 and 65, but the "problem" is more a downshifting issue. I figured, especially given the low gear ratio, that if I mash the gas when it is OD, the trans should downshift to 2nd, but it will only go to 3rd which does not give the best acceleration.

--Steve
patriot9879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
k2rm

I had the same problem with my 700R4 install. As S_Nova said, it is likely your governor. Mine would only downshift at low speeds, and I would have to manually downshift at highway speeds. I bought the B&M recalibration kit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-M/130/20248/...oductId=751474

It is a pretty easy install, but mine did not come with the wire bail to keep the cover on, so I bought one of ebay.

This worked perfectly for me. For reference, I have a 4.11 rear end and 32" tires.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Indyuke

I have the exact opposite problem. Mine shifts way to late and very hard, no matter how benignly I adjust the TV cable. If I adjust the cable so that it's pulled all the way out at WOT, it won't shift out of first gear until around 3,800rpm. But I'm not really complaining too much... it's gone 30k miles and no issues other than late, hard shifts. It's good to know I can adjust that with a gov change though.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot9879 View Post

Thanks
--Steve
Steve,

Arnolds Transmission in Denver was recommended to me by one of the Colorado board members and they are great! I called them and they spent the time to talk to me and gave me some ideas on how to figure out what was wrong with my TH350 in my CST. Turns out my problem was a destroyed check ball and Arnolds even gave me the part free of charge. I dealt with a guy named Patrick...he was really great. Their shop is clean and they are all older guys who know the older cars and trucks. Here is their website.

http://www.arnoldstransmission.com/

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote