The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
1LowToy

Traction lock rear ends?

Can someone tell me about them? The rear axle of my rust bucket I turn one wheel forward, the driveline turns then after about a turn the other wheel begins to turn forward also. Is this normal? The build tag does not say posi track or anything suggestive of it.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
67_SS396

Re: Traction lock rear ends?

Sure sounds like a gov-bomb (gov-loc). They are ok when on the street and a low power setup. Offroad or when behind a high horse power engine and lots of traction, they can be bad news.
Posted via Mobile Device

'66 C10 - The new hot rod

'77 3+3 Dually - 12 valve 4wd conversion tow rig project

'28 Ford 2 door sedan street rod

RevLimit Offroad

"Hang on beer, we can do this."
67_SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
1LowToy

Would it be possible to take the gov-lock unit out and put it in my rear end?

This one looks like 3.08 and mine is 3.42s. I'm think this would be nice for the snow. I don't think my I6 would over power it.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

As backward as it may sound, adding a posi-traction device (any kind) is not necessarily a good thing for snow driving. While it may give you added foreward drive, there is a trade-off. When both wheels are locked together, there is a tendency for the rear end to slide more than with an "open" differential. This can be dangerous, even more so in a pick-up truck.

For the actual question asked....I wouldn't.
It is just not worth the trouble ($expense) to gain something that is really of no benefit.
If you really insist on the posi unit, you have another dicision to make. The only feasible way to do this is to swap the entire rear end into your truck...but then you are giving up the gear ratio to get it? Again, not worth it.

It would cost waaay to much money to swap the gears and gain the posi unit too....especially since it's something that IMHO you really don't want anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
67_SS396

You can swap the ring gear and put the carrier in your housing. You may need to shim the carrier slightly, but sometimes you'll get lucky and not need to make any changes.
Posted via Mobile Device

RevLimit Offroad

Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
hotrod_991

Gov-Loc is a not all that great of posi unit. I have on in my truck and it only work if i roll into the trottle really softly if I just kick it in the but never locks. I would not recomend using it.

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_SS396 View Post
You can swap the ring gear and put the carrier in your housing. You may need to shim the carrier slightly, but sometimes you'll get lucky and not need to make any changes.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a quick way to a potential failure. This is a very precise operation especially with used gears. The wear pattern is already established and it needs to be returned to exactly the same place. Even minor variences can whine....and that is the road to failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
67_SS396

That's why I said "sometimes". I learned many many years ago how to set up differentials with the proper tools. I have swapped some carriers, keeping the same gears and didn't require any changes. Then other times, you get to shimming.
Posted via Mobile Device

RevLimit Offroad