The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
flintc10

Help Key broke off in ignition and truck wont start

Well here is the story, I went to start my truck and the key wouldnt turn. So I just turned harder and broke the key off. I am not able to start the truck I am guessing that I put the key in wrong. I was in a hurry but then again I am always in a hurry. So I tried to get the key out with no luck. I need to find a way to get the ignition out. I dont have another key and the door lock dont work so i am ready to buy a new ignition. I need to figure out how to get the ignition out. Please help.
flintc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Help Key broke off in ignition and truck wont start

Sucks, don't it?

I know that removing the key cylinder is done with the key inserted properly and then you insert a small diameter wire into that little hole that is nearby and very neighborly. Maybe you can try that, but I'm gonna bet it won't work. I don't know if you can remove the switch ass'y from the dash w/o first removing the cylinder....I can't remember. But it seems that you can't.

The outer ring around the ignition switch is what holds it in the dash. My replacement cab still has the complete ass'y. When the cab is shaded and I'm dressed for the oven, I'll go and try to remove it w/o pulling the cylinder...just to see if it can be done. That's the only thing I can think of. If so, or maybe not, you're probably needing a new switch/cylinder ass'y.

But, did you stick a common screwdriver into the slot and try turning it to the accessory position just to see if that releases the key? Don't know if it will work...just runnin' my fingers on the keys.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

If you can get the old key out that is your best bet. It needs to come out in order to get the lock cylinder out. Since its already fubar, try grabbing it with some needle nose and pulling it out. Then you might be able to get the right key in it to remove the lock cylinder.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
bosco200

Take a flat head screw driver and put it in the ignition, try to turn it to ACC, put a paper clip into that little hole on the ignition, there is a little button that paper clip hits and unlock its, then the ignition will be able to be pulled out.....Hope this helps
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-

You probably didn't have the key in all the way. Sometimes you can get the broken key out with a piece of coping saw blade. Break off the end of the blade to get rid of the little pin that holds it in the coping saw, then grind the back of the blade so it angles toward the teeth (so the end comes to a point). make sure that the teeth on the pointed end angle back towards you. Stick it in the key hole, under or beside the key and see if you can hook the key with the blade teeth and pull it out.

TO GET THE LOCK CYLINDER OUT:
If you can get it to turn, turn it to the left as far as it will go and insert a straightened paper clip or stiff wire into the hole in the face of the cylinder and “gently” push the spring loaded pin in. Turn the cylinder further to the left to remove it.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

If that fails, for a temporary fix you can unplug the connector from the back of the ignition switch and plug in another switch and let it hang down under the dash.

For the people that read this thread that do not have an ignition key take the passenger door lock out and take it to your local locksmith. It should have a code number stamped into the lock case and the locksmith can cut a key from the code number. If none of the locks have been changed the key will fit the ignition.

The attached image shows the code location.
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 07-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

LockDoc, I was always curious about this. What does the number on the cylinder tell a locksmith?
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71cheyenne View Post
LockDoc, I was always curious about this. What does the number on the cylinder tell a locksmith?
We have a book (or computer program) that lists all of the code numbers with the individual cuts in the key following the code. My code book shows that the depth cuts in the key for the code I posted (1J86) would be 132433.

LockDoc

-
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
sleepertruck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
We have a book (or computer program) that lists all of the code numbers with the individual cuts in the key following the code. My code book shows that the depth cuts in the key for the code I posted (1J86) would be 132433.

LockDoc
Thats some awesome info LockDoc I learned something new today
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:

LockDoc
Cool info! Thanks for interpreting it for us.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
bosco200

sooo did you get it?
bosco200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Here's an old Popular Mechanics magazine trick (it works) from the 1960's I think.

Find a cork - wine bottle cork, whatever - two sewing needles pushed thru the cork near the bottom of each side of the cork at about 45 degrees until the pointed tips are close together (think tweezers or chopsticks) --- the cork holds the needles positioned right.

Then push the tip of a needle a little ways down in on each side of the broken key stub & use your fingers to squeeze the needles together up near the cork, pinching the needles together & putting pressure on the broken key stub --- like I said, think tweezers.

Pull broken key gently out of the ignition. If you haven't boogered-up the ignition trying a bunch of other more violent tricks, it works easy.

Never has failed me yet.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
andrewbond

Thumbs up Re: Help Key broke off in ignition and truck wont start

Quote:
-

You probably didn't have the key in all the way. Sometimes you can get the broken key out with a piece of coping saw blade. Break off the end of the blade to get rid of the little pin that holds it in the coping saw, then grind the back of the blade so it angles toward the teeth (so the end comes to a point). make sure that the teeth on the pointed end angle back towards you. Stick it in the key hole, under or beside the key and see if you can hook the key with the blade teeth and pull it out.

If you can get it to turn, turn it to the left as far as it will go and insert a straightened paper clip or stiff wire into the hole in the face of the cylinder and “gently” push the spring loaded pin in. Turn the cylinder further to the left to remove it.

After you push the spring loaded pin in with the stiff wire and turn the cylinder further to the left you have to pull the wire out to finish turning it or it will bind. You can also turn it too far after you pull the wire out. That is when you have to wiggle the cylinder back and forth a little bit. If you wiggle it too much the pin will pop back out and you will have to start over. You should not have to put excessive turning pressure on it or push down hard on the spring loaded pin. Gentle and patience are the key words here...

If that fails, for a temporary fix you can unplug the connector from the back of the ignition switch and plug in another switch and let it hang down under the dash.

For the people that read this thread that do not have an ignition key take the passenger door lock out and take it to your local locksmith. It should have a code number stamped into the lock case and the locksmith can cut a key from the code number. If none of the locks have been changed the key will fit the ignition.

great information!!!
andrewbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbond View Post
great information!!!
Thanks Andrew...

LockDoc

-
Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
andrewbond

always welcome...awesome information can help!!!
andrewbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
litew8

Leon has never done this before great info

Quote:
-

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
67chevy1series

weld something to the key if you can find metal and a welder that will weld to it... then turn the key with a paper clip in the hole.... or you can get a big dril bit and drill the ignition out.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote