The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Argh!!! Fuel line issues

So, I replaced my driver's side tank (and fuel sender) a couple of weeks. From under the truck, I had a heck of time getting the new hoses to go on the metal lines, but they seemed to go on ok and are the same length as the originals. If I ever have to replace a tank again, I am just going to pull the bed.

After changing the tank out, I took the truck from a drive around the neighborhood. Everything went well! However the next time that I went to drive the truck it wouldn't start. It isn't getting fuel to carb. The fuel pump is relatively new, and appears to be working correctly. The fuel pump has enough suction on the rubber lines to collapse the lines at the pump. If I remove the rubber fuel line, You can hear a suction sound in the fuel line.

I suspected that the dual tank diverter valve may be causing the issue, so I have bypassed the valve (both the main line and return line).

Still no fuel at the pump! Argh!!

Today, I blow the fuel line and return line out using air compressor (from the pump side back to the tank). During which I was listening for air in the gas tank, but I never did hear any bubbling or anything from the tank. Shouldn't I have heard something??

I guess that my next step is to pull the lines from the tank....... and then blow the lines out completely from the tank to the pump. That means that I have to wrestle with that dang tank again (this time is has 8 gallons of fuel in it).

Does this sound like a kink to you? Obviously if it was sucking air into the line somewhere, I wouldn't expect to hear a suction when removing the rubber line (some 10 minutes later).
Old 07-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Re: Argh!!! Fuel line issues

Rubber hose's can kink easy , also I have seen stuff of all sorts in fuel tanks
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
cjlinkster

My driver's side tank was all rusted out; that's why I had to changed it. My passenger tank is also shot, but I am just going to go with the single 20 gallon tank setup for now.

I just wish that I had thought about blowing the lines out while I was changing the tank out. shame on me. I guess that I will get to do the tank install job two times now.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
cjlinkster

Update:

I pulled the bed this time, which really wasn't that bad at all. The trick is to use a propane torch to heat up the nuts and bolts for a few seconds. Once the bolts were removed (I left the rear two bolts in place to keep the bed from sliding off the back of the truck frame). I was able to jack up the front of the bed.

Anyhow, my rubber lines were kinked! I shorten and reinstalled the lines. The truck is running great, all is well now!

I am glad to have that done! what a PIA!