The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
57rookie

1957 door bushing install - how hard?

My drivers door on my 57 drops and has play. I bough a door pin/bushing set to hopefully cure the issue. How hard are they to install and does anyone have any general directions? Thanks Much! I appreciate any technical comments.
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: 1957 door bushing install - how hard?

It's very simple, not difficult at all. Here's a link that explains it very well.

http://www.webrodder.com/article.php...9&SID=60&CID=7
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The only thing I would add to that article is sometimes the pin is so rusted in that it will not come out. If you hammer on it it distorts the bracket. What I do is cut the pin with a hacksaw above and below the hinge arm. You can then put the arm in a drill press vise and drill out the pin with a 3/16" bit. Drill about 3/4 of the way through, heat it up and drive out the pin. You may want to invest in a good set of pin punches.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
OrrieG

I tried to beat my old hinge pins out with no luck. Then I found this article, its for AD but TF has the same type hinge. The web rodder article does not give the hacksaw tip to easy pin removal.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/do...ges/index.html

After I found Martins article I did all four of mine in a couple of hours (they were already off the truck).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I tried to beat my old hinge pins out with no luck. Then I found this article, its for AD but TF has the same type hinge. The web rodder article does not give the hacksaw tip to easy pin removal.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/do...ges/index.html

After I found Martins article I did all four of mine in a couple of hours (they were already off the truck).
Orrie, it looks like the hinges shown in that article have the bushings in the frame and the pin is driven into the arm. That's opposite to the one's on my 57. Maybe I was just lucky (about time something went right with this truck) but my hinges all came apart fairly easily. I put a section of pipe vertically in my vise and drove the pins into it. The pipe supported the frame to prevent warpage.
I didn't mean to over-simplify the job in my first post, I was just going by my own experience.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
57rookie

Thanks guys! I might get brave enough to pull my drivers door off next week and will first print off the article for reference.
57rookie is offline   Reply With Quote