The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Denee007

Steering from Impala usable?

Hi, I've been advised on my exhaust and engine mounts, now I have this '72 Impala and trying to get as much out of it before I give it back to the guy I bought it from. I thought about using the front electric bench seat(doesn't work), but it need re-upholstering ($), and I'm more inclined to go the direction that Orrie did(3rd rowseat from a Tahoe). I think the radiator from this old car is too wide, though it's fairly new. I think it would cut into too much of the radiator support. I'll just buy a radiator that fits. The sooner I can get this Impala out; the sooner I can get really working on things

Is any of this steering usable? tilt column? I know the steering gear won't work, but how about the shaft, etc?

Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Denee007

Re: Steering from Impala usable?

oh, maybe I can use the parking brake setup?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
mr48chev

You could use that column easily enough but will have to figure out a bracket for it to mount it to the bottom of the dash.
I had a similar one in the 48 for years and there is some advantage to being able to adjust the angle of the wheel to be more comfortable on road trips.

A lot of guys though consider those columns to be rather bulky and look out of place in and early vehicle especially if it is built on a more traditional theme rather than a street rod theme.

I've got one of those side mounted emergency brake pedals in the 48 and it works well. you have to do some fabricating on the cable that connects the cable off the pedal's cable to the rear wheel cables though. Mostly getting it the right length and swagging a new end on it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
OrrieG

I used an 82 eldo column and 74 truck em brake pedal. I suspect your brake is similar, I found that the brake bracket stud pattern on the truck one matched the hood hinge bolt spacing. On the colum measure the length and see how far it sticks thru the firewall. I used the eldo because it is shorter that RWD columns and had all the stuff on the stalk in one place plus tilt/tele plus future cruise control. You decide if you like the look. My build thread has details on brake and column fab and install. I like the way you are thinking.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Denee007

ok, then how about the driveshaft?

I'm so glad ya'll wrote something, I was beginning to think no one had an opinion. It's just that I have the Impala here and I need to make a decision to pull the column out or send the impala on the way! I will take a close look at the parking brake. I was even thinking about pulling out the under the dash wiring harness since it's wired to the steering column~ so it's prewired. However my friend said he help me wire a Painless wiring system in~ he said he likes that kind of stuff. My husband likes the Lokar shifter on the floor, so that means this column is kind of useless! So might just bite the bullet and get a new Ididit column and keep the ignition on the dash. oh me` my brain hurts from having to think! lol

I hope this other question finds you guys!
the driveshaft in the Impala of course has the correct yoke going into the transmission and the rear U-joint setup is a constant velocity joint and it appears to be smooth and ok. What are the chances that the rear yoke(for lack of better term) from the Impala would fit the 12bolt rear axle on my apache? or should I not even consider it. IT'll be a while before the engine/tranny will be in the Apache.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
OrrieG

Forget using the wiring harness except for the wires on the column itself, its 40 years old and a fire waiting to happen. All new wiring kits come with the right adapters for GM columns. If you are not going to use the column shifter you can remove the handle and modify the column surround part using JB Weld to smooth it. Someone here has done it or I found a link online one time for it. If money is not an issue, get the Idit and be done with it. Any good drive shaft shop can take you tranny spline and drive line and mate it to your rearend. They will tell you the measurement they want. I would have thought that big Impala would have a center universal too. Doesn't matter, worst case in you take in you tranny spline and type of rear end and the guy does his thing.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Denee007

Thank you Orrie, money, like almost everyone here tries to cut corners, I hate to say do a job as cheaply as possible, well, that's me too! I'll go with the ididit and the painless wiring. but I will take out the parking brake mechanism.

The man that overhauled my tranny, I'm sure I can ask him about that rear yolk thing. IT's just the rear flange on the Impala is a flange type and bolts to the flange on the driveshaft. I'd like to have some thing kind of unique on my project!
Again, thank you!
dne'
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #8
OrrieG

Pull the column anyway, around here tilts go any where from 75 to 150 at the swap meets, if the wiring is attached and you have the ignition key and shaft to the steering box its towards the higher end. Electric seat might have some value to a low rider guy too.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
Daze57

x2 on the wiring - if you have the $ - buy new - the old wire -like orrie had said is a fire waitin to happen - also with a new wire kit you can choose the amout of circuts you want (need) i ran a 21 circut in my 57 - reason was i figure one day i';ll put a coffee pot in there - lol - am runnin a few eleltrics and ya never know when ya might need an extra one for somethin .
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
x2 on the wiring - if you have the $ - buy new - the old wire -like orrie had said is a fire waitin to happen - also with a new wire kit you can choose the amout of circuts you want (need) i ran a 21 circut in my 57 - reason was i figure one day i';ll put a coffee pot in there - lol - am runnin a few eleltrics and ya never know when ya might need an extra one for somethin .
besides that It is a pain to sort out. I have used old fuse boxes and re wired them with good results though.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Denee007

Today I got the bench seat out, my "little Mule" saves the day again(and my back) getting the seat out! This seat is heavy! The relay is bad and the seat won't work, so I'm looking for a relay now. the seat poses a possibility for going in my Apache, at least set it in and see how it sits. I still like Orries Tahoe seat better!
Since the seat is out, I'll remove the column and parking brake. I disconnected all the stuff below the car. I may look at the dash harness, if it looks to congested, Painless it shall be ; )
I like what Orrie mentioned about using the column but taking off the automatic shift handle and repairing the hole left behind. Then a Lokar floor shift will be installed.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Denee007

Wasn't too bad~

I'm amazed at all the stuff plugged into the steering column! I'd expect a turn signal switch and I guess a neutral safety, oh, just figured it out! the starter switch?

Now will I be using the starter switch? will the painless wiring come with an adapter to adapt to it? and the neutral safety switch~ do I toss it?

The steering shaft that bolts to this is a double D and ends with a rag joint. I don't think the saft will be long enough, but what happens here? I can still use the spined joint that slips over this spline or do I take it to a machine shop and have it double D'd?
dne'
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
mknittle

That's how this got started.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474288

My GMC build.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Denee007

That's amazing! I just don't think i have that kind of skill level to pull that off! Path of least resistance here! lol
thanks! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
bobinbc

I sure do like your one-armed helper ! That seat looks in real good shape, wish you were closer, if you ended up not using it I would take it off your hands...
On a big car like that I would think the shaft would be long enough. On my last truck I ended up using a shaft from a 70-72 ( somewhere in there) Chevy pickup, worked great.

Bob

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Denee007

Thank you for the compliment on my "Little Mule"< that's what I named my mini lift~ it's a back saver for sure! Look around for a used Hoyer lift/Patient lift. I made a new lifting arm with an extendable boom(an invention of mine that actually worked!).
Bob, I actually hadn't thought about the shaft being too long! darn! guess I'd better go out this morning and take some serious measurements. However, I'll just store it until that day of pulling the old column and mocking this one up to see what gives.
Here's a good one; the seat currently in the Apache, it has the same electric seat mechanisms that this Impala has, but has no guts to it(meaning the electric motor isn't there. So I may wind up using the seat that's in the truck afterall and installnig the components from the impala seat into it.

The Impala seat isn't perfect but would be good for a daily driver and basically mine would be a daily driver, but the color of the seat won't be correct after I paint my interior cab the color that I want. ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
I sure do like your one-armed helper ! That seat looks in real good shape, wish you were closer, if you ended up not using it I would take it off your hands...
On a big car like that I would think the shaft would be long enough. On my last truck I ended up using a shaft from a 70-72 ( somewhere in there) Chevy pickup, worked great.

Bob
Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
That's amazing! I just don't think i have that kind of skill level to pull that off! Path of least resistance here! lol
thanks! ; )
Thanks,
I just have more time than money right now and i like making things.
I am thinking about milling a flat on the left side and stamping "IDIOT on it just to see if anyone notices.

P.S you can get Ididit or flaming river expandable lower shafts and universal joints from jegs or summit racing. Sometimes cheaper too.

i have also used tractor PTO joints on my Jeep as they are healthier.

My GMC build.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
OrrieG

[QUOTE=Denee007;4832726]Wasn't too bad~

I'm amazed at all the stuff plugged into the steering column! I'd expect a turn signal switch and I guess a neutral safety, oh, just figured it out! the starter switch?

Now will I be using the starter switch? will the painless wiring come with an adapter to adapt to it? and the neutral safety switch~ do I toss it?

The steering shaft that bolts to this is a double D and ends with a rag joint. I don't think the saft will be long enough, but what happens here? I can still use the spined joint that slips over this spline or do I take it to a machine shop and have it double D'd?
QUOTE]

Here are my hand notes on my elco column vs the EZ wiring connections, second. The elco has lots of extra stuff but basic all GM in the 70's had the same basic wires. EZ comes with the adaptor to use th column ignition. You should keep the neutral safety switch. I did not have one from 85 to 2000 and more than once jumped in and hit the starter with it in gear. Luckily when it happened I was alone (not witnesses) and in the open so I did not run into anything. Another reason for the new column with bells and whistles. Also get the antitheft feature.

The spline you have should be 3/4" 36 spline, standard gm, thats what the elco had. Easy to get joints that adapt to DD, I used a astro van for mine but Borgson, Ididit, etc. all have them, no need for a machinest.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf eldo steering connectors.pdf (71.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Man of my heart, lots of time and the right tools.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Man of my heart, lots of time and the right tools.
LOL, Not always the right tools but lots of experience at not having the right tools.

Can you ever have enough tools and why it the one you want always at the bottom of the box?

My GMC build.