The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
biohazardbill

54 Chevy- Questions

Hi,
I am building a 65 GMC at the moment and when scouting for parts I ran into a 54 Chevy. It is a torquoise color, stepside, straight six, and has what looks like a factory visor. It has been sitting for quite a while but looks pretty solid and the owner says it runs but will need some carb work. Thinking about picking it up for when the 65 is complete

Questions:
What are trouble spots to look for on these?

How hard are parts to find?

I love the slammed look, how hard is it to bag one of these bad boys?

What do you think a fair price would be( I know hard to say without seeing it but ballpark)? I didnt have a chance to snag any pics, but I may go over there at lunch and grab some.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
biohazardbill

Re: 54 Chevy- Questions

Upon closer look the visor is not stock, is one of those aftermarket fiberglass ones.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

'54-55Series 1 are a 15 month run. They LOOK a ton like the '47-53s but have some year specific parts like front fenders, bed, tailgate, dash, cab, hood, others. The cab corners are usually shot but those are like $35 parts from many of the suppliers/supporters here. Floors get junky, too. Cowl to fender area is another famously bad spot but again, $150 or so a pair for patches.

Windshields are expensive to ship but if you are already doing a post '53 truck, that shouldn't shock you.

I can't tell you Georgia price, I'm in MI and something like what you show would have tinfoil thick steel from sitting in the leaves/underbrush. The pictures make it look pretty good. See if you can make it fire, is it still 6V?

Put it on an S10 frame and get it down and dirty.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
biohazardbill

Dunno if it is still 6v or not, probably not (didnt even know to look honestly). Not going to try and make it fire unless its in my driveway... learned that lesson a long time ago when I got something running and then the guy decided not to sell it. The windshield isnt cracked so not worried about that. P side window is cracked.

Will have to look up putting it on an s10 frame.. any particular frame I should be looking for? Blazer, truck, ext cab truck? Ill start doing some research...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
Daze57

i always liked the 54 look - guess its the grill that sold me - this ''looks'' like a solid machine
Mr Bowles is correct 'bout sittin where it;s at; check floors and all underneath - see how sturdy it really is.
livin here in the desert we get rust - but not like water logged metal that needs a lot of help sometimes -either way take a good hard look @ everything before you buy - make plenty of mental notes and figure a plan - good luck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
Daze57

interesting visor - hadnt seen one like that in a very long time
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

My son's was an X cab that we shortened but the long bed trucks are pretty close to the correct length. I was just thinking that would be easier than doing all the updates to the stock frame. I'm not a purist.

6V was stock. I agree with not getting it running at another guy's place. I helped a guy sort out his title and put a tranny back into an Olds I was buying. He kept the car once it was in.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote