The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Root2812

My 1950 5-window Restoration Build

Hello everyone,

I have a 1950 Chevy 5-window 1/2 ton that I am going to be restoring. Yep you heard it, no chops, swaps, or mods... Completely stock. I want to preserve this time capsule. Well there is one mod, I plan to put the truckstell overdrive option on it when I find one... I have plenty of time.

Here is the story and a few questions before I get started.

This truck was purchased as a gift for my grand father around 1989 and bounced around the family ever since. I have been wanting it for years and it is finally mine. The truck has around 56,000 original miles and still runs like a top. Other than the bench seat being in the box and a set of temporary seats set in the cab it is all original. The cab corners and running boards have typical rust so some repair is going to happen but for a truck thats been sitting outside in Minnesota for 61 years its in pretty good shape.

Just so you all know, Pics WILL be coming... On Sunday. The truck is at my dad's place and I have no pictures of it yet but I have seen it a million times.

Like I said before it is the 1/2 ton 5 window truck that seems a little more sought after but thats not the most interesting part. Almost all of these trucks have the 3 on the tree, this one has a factory 3 on the floor. Anyone know home common or uncommon this option was?

The biggest question is the engine. My research has shown that in 1950 most came with the 216ci but they were putting the 235ci in some at the factory. It doesn't look like it was too common either. My dad has told me that it is the factory engine and that it is a 235ci. Can any of you guys shed some light on this? If this is the correct motor and a rare option it could make my restoration even more exciting.

Ok well I have typed you all to death now. I look forward to hearing your comments and to posting my pics on Sunday. I know someone will ask so I paid $1500 for it and it is titled but the plates expired.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Root2812

Re: My 1950 5-window Restoration Build

Alot of people viewed my thread but no comments.. Thats disapointing..

Anyway, I have a correction to make. I ran the engine code and it is a 1950 216ci engine, thats awesome, and the tranny is actually a 4 speed on the floor not a 3 speed. That explains it but it is original. It fired right up and ran. Here is some pics as promised.

Last edited by Root2812; 08-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Root2812

Sorry about size and quality. They are just iphone pics
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
flatbed51

Great looking truck, it hard to beleve it has been exposed to Minnesota weather for all these years and is in as good of shape as it is.I am a rod guy, but given the history of your truck being your grandfathers, and the shape it is in, I say RESTORE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Don

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Atomsplitter

Hey Root, welcome to the site and thanks for the pictures!
The truck looks nice and complete but you've got some floor issues to take car of. You may also find the kick panel to fender support rusted out if the floor is that far gone.
You should checkout the Stovebolt as most of their stuff is stock and ours tends to be modified.
http://www.stovebolt.com/
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
tttuba

I have a 47 gmc 5 window that is pretty much original but there will be some minor mods. I got it with disc brakes up front, Power brakes and partially converted to 12 volt. Mine was redone about 10 years ago and is in fantastic shape. no rot. So I too hate to cut up such an original....but that said I am still considering some mechanical changes to make it more drivable. Not exactly sure what way I am going yet. I want to work with the original intent of the truck but update some of the things such as electronic ignition instead of points. Done that part already.
tttuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Root2812

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I plan on starting by getting it reliable again. It runs and drives but needs gone through. Then I am going to start one panel at a time and end with the cab. When I get to the cab I want to take it off and fix all the rust. I'll make sure to keep an eye on what you suggested Atomsplitter. The floor is rotten bad but every thing else is good so I can aford for a new floor and any other rot near it.

tttuba, I'd like to see your truck. Do you have a link to a thread? There will be a few changes on mine too. The visor and maybe a different stock color other than green. I am tossing around the idea of changing the rear end gearing rather than spend a ton on the overdrive but I won't monkey with any of that until I drive the cob webs out of it and see how it performs stock.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
tttuba

I don't have pictures posted yet. Need to figure out how to do that and need to get the time to get them off the camera. Some things I have done since I had it is new wire harness, electronic ignition located in the distributor, conversion to 12 volt negative ground, New stock gauges, rebuilt the carburetor, working on getting it tuned up right. Just had another member tell me where the timing marks are...on the flywheel not up front...Made the alternator previously installed from a one wire to a three wire,ordered the gas tank parts to move the tank back under the bed instead of behind the seat. Previous owner put it behind the seat but seat doesn't go back all the way and it is tough for me to drive.Put a new heater in it, old one leaking beyond repair. I am debating pulling the motor and trans and rebuilding but torque tube drive shaft kind of scaring me right now. Never worked on one of those before. My goal is to go through it mechanically first and change what I want to change then do the body work. This way I can drive it along the way before I take it all apart and go through all of it. And what is this overdrive unit you are talking about?
tttuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Welcome to the site! Great project you have there, I'm a 50 owner as well!

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
pvienneau

Root, thats a familiar truck to me. I have a 49 I just picked up in IN and am planning a restore. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Pat
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttuba View Post
And what is this overdrive unit you are talking about?
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/blog/2...et-deluxe-ton/
Check that out. This guy has one, talks about it, and posted the original ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvienneau View Post
Root, thats a familiar truck to me. I have a 49 I just picked up in IN and am planning a restore. I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Pat
Thats cool. When you start your own thread send me the link and I'll follow your progress as well.

I am headed back to Louisiana for a few months so I won't have the truck with me so I am taking a box of parts. I am going to reface the guages and repair and polish some stainless. Then when I come back I can put them in and get on the real work.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
chief10

Hi Root, I have a 47 that I am putting back together and I just wish it looked as good as yours when I got it. I am new to this thread thing and am going to find someone to help me figure it out. The one thing I found is to set time limits to reach your goal. I restored a 1927 fire truck, and I think this 47 is harder. Of course the 27 does not have a cab so I didn't have to worry about an interior. I think your truck is going to look great when finished. Good luck, and someday I will figure out how to do photos on this site.
chief10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
big_ac2001

That is a good looking project truck. I am glad to hear that you are restoring it rather than modifying it.

'49 chevy 3100 5 window truck. 235 six cylinder. 3 speed on the column.
big_ac2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief10 View Post
]someday I will figure out how to do photos on this site.
Its easy. Open a photobucket account and it will tell you how to upload pictures to it. Then every picture is given a [IMG] tag that you can copy and paste into the thread. like so....

I removed the end [IMG] so that you can see what it looks like..
[IMG]http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/Root2812/1950%20Chevy/untitled.jpg/

With the tag it will look like this
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
Root2812

I have a question.. I was removing the guage cluster and when I removed the wires I was labeling them so that I could put them back correctly. When I took the wires off of the battery gauge I could have sworn there were 3 wires on the 2 studs and one stud had 2 wires on it. Is that right or did I have one already loose and not notice it.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
chief10

I think I had two wires to my amp gage, the third wire was the light for night driving. If you think there was three wires, one may have gone to the ignition switch. I did switch to a 12v alternator to get away from 6 volt. I am still using the same starter, just can't crank on it too long. I had to put all new wires because the little critters ate the insulation off most of mine.
chief10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
m6z

cool truck. Wish I could find one that complete for that kind of money.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6z View Post
cool truck. Wish I could find one that complete for that kind of money.
Thanks. I'll be honest with you, I only got this kind of deal because I bought it from my dad and I helped home do the body work on a 66 Bronco that was rolled. At the swap meet this truck would have gone for atleast $2500 but it will never see a swap meet now. Good luck finding yours!

I solved the gauge issue. Here is a link I want to share. It has wiring diagrams for many years. Turns out there was 2 wires on that stud and o e on the other. 1 to the battery and one fed the horn power.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...ring/index.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
T Hilde

I have a trans cover for a 4 speed, looks like yours is rotted pretty good. When you get back home we can deal, you aren't that far away.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #20
Intimidator

I might have some stuff you could use too...

I'm in Minneapolis doin a 51 right now
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
Root2812

Sounds great guys. I'll let you know when I get back. I just finished my master's here at the University of Louisiana and my wife is on her last semester so January will be the latest I get back. If I find a job it will be sooner. The truck is at home in Mn.

As of now I know I need a stock seat, trans cover, floor, battery cover, 4 stock rims, front of the box, splash panel behind the front bumper, 2 bumpers, and a grill. Those are the ones I know need replaced. LMC will be my friend unless I find alot of good used parts.

Edit: Oh and I need a shift knob, I HATE that stupid 8 ball. Haha
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Intimidator

I will have factory gauges that look much better than yours.

I also have a factory seat that must have been restored cause it's in great shape.

I might also end up with the filler panel behind the front bumper, and maybe both bumpers, up for grabs

I'm replacing the gauges, replacing the seat, and most likely going to roll pans
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #23
Root2812

The seat I'll be interested in but I am going to restore my gauges. They work fine and all the parts I need will be about $50 from classicparts.com and then they will look new.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #24
Root2812

Is your filler panel in good shape? Mine has a tear in it and its bent. How about the bumpers? I want chrome so I need to see how much a chromer charges and compare to new from LMC. I'd like to repair my grill and chrome it too rather than buy a new one.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
Intimidator

My filler just needs prep and paint. light surface rust, no pitting.

Not sure really about my bumpers. They came off without really looking.
I know they are straight, but as I recall, they didn't look like they were ever chromed.
May have been, but I recall them being the same condition as the filler, light surface,
and if they had rusted enough for all the chrome to be gone, had they been chromed, there'd be holes, and there's not

I can look over the bumpers more later

Might be cheaper to get chromies from LMC, however, I think it's JD's or something local that is pretty reasonable for chroming ..... here ...... around STP... I think maybe near midway? Been a while