The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
tko

Classic Car Insurance that allows for towing a vintage trailer???

New to the board, tried a search on this topic but didn't find what I was looking for. Sorry if it's been covered before. Just bought a beautiful '69 GMC in order to pull a 1965 15ft travel trailer that we are in the process of restoring. I have called every Classic Car Insurance company I can find and none of them allow for towing ANYTHING, other than "maybe one of those teardrops". We plan on taking the trailer/truck to vintage car shows and trailer rallies a few times a year is all. Would sure appreciate any referrals you might have...thanks...Kathleen
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Dunenutt
Newbee

Re: Classic Car Insurance that allows for towing a vintage trailer???

Try Country mutual insurance co. (Country companies). I have alot of vehicles insured there. I am in the process of insuring my 69 through them, just have to find an appraiser. They have not put any restrictions on what I can, and cannot do. It may be that I haven't asked, but have never seen anything in writing.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Hey Kathleen, welcome frome Florida! Thats how I got into these trucks, bought my 70 GMC to pull a 71 Serro Scotty Sportsman, that was a year ago. I get to bring the truck home from the paint shop next week....then I start on the Scotty. Let us know what you find out about the insurance. I'm not going to mention the trailer to my agent
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
srvivor71

I just called Hagerty about a new motorcycle trailer that I tow with my truck (which they insure). I wanted to know if the trailer was covered along with the truck. They asked questions about whether or not it was a "classic" trailer, or if I haul a classic motorcycle in the trailer. I think if you tell them it's a classic trailer, you might have a very good shot at them insuring it.

They are a real pleasure to deal with too. Excellent customer service and the insurance is surprisingly affordable.
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
srvivor71

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivor71 View Post
I just called Hagerty about a new motorcycle trailer that I tow with my truck (which they insure). I wanted to know if the trailer was covered along with the truck. They asked questions about whether or not it was a "classic" trailer, or if I haul a classic motorcycle in the trailer. I think if you tell them it's a classic trailer, you might have a very good shot at them insuring it.

They are a real pleasure to deal with too. Excellent customer service and the insurance is surprisingly affordable.
Oh yeah! Welcome from New York (Upstate - NOT the city).
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
harrydunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvivor71 View Post
Agreed. Hagerty is one of the most pleasant car insurance companies I've ever dealt with and very affordable. Plus, they put out a great magazine every few months.
2004 Corvette Z06 / 2000 Covette Coupe
2006 Ducati Multistrada
2014 BMW X3 XDrive35i M Sport
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
1972RedNeck

Welcome from Montana. We would all LOVE to see pictures of your truck.

Oh yes, I almost forgot,

Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I pull a 66 dragboat w my 67 I'm surprised anybody would insure me. I drive too muh for that specalized stuff. Welcome to the board!

if you want to stay on our good side you must post pics
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
tko

Thank you for the suggestions...will start calling around again on Monday. YIKES...you guys don't pull any punches! And I most definitely want to stay on your good sides...so, I got a photo up...more to come! So far, I've gotten NO's from Haggerty, JC Taylor, Heacock, Grundy, State Farm, Classic Collectors, American Modern, Infinity and Leeland West. I know what you are saying about the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, I'm just concerned that coverage on the truck would be voided if I had (fingers, toes, all body parts crossed, hope not) an accident. With Haggerty, I very specifically told them that I would be hauling a restored, classic trailer...older than the truck itself but they would ONLY cover a trailer CARRYING another classic auto. So, Dunenutt, I will try Country Mutual and am still open to any and all other suggestions.
'95 GMC Stepside, Shortbed
'65 Aloha Travel Trailer

Last edited by tko; 08-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote