The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Denee007

Harness questions

Hi! This is probably my least favorite question to ask, but here goes!

This tilt steering column came out of my '72 Impala. I'd like to install it in my '59 Apache. (I'll know in a few weeks whether it will fit or not) I will be installing a Lokar shifter on the floor. I will have an HEI distributor and a 1wire alternator(or maybe not) and AC.

On this column is ignition switch, neutral safety switch and turnsignal connection.
The guy I bought it from said to use the wiring harness from the Impala ,and sounded like a good idea until I started trying to remove the wiring, and stopped! I'm never going to get the harness out! and it has idiiot lights and I don't know how it would hook up to the gaugess anyway.

Will a painless or generic wiring system hook up to everything on this column, should I keep the plugs that plug into the column by cutting them off from the existing wiring harness? Suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

WHat would you do? ; )
dne'
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
craig32

Re: Harness questions

D, when I got my butchered up truck, it already had a new harness wired up in it, with a cheezy little S10 column in it. Not sure what brand it is, but all wires are labled about every foot, and the plugs into the column did not look spliced. I started taking it apart by weaning the ignition off of the column and putting it back in the dash where it belongs. The dimmer switch took the same plug as the one on the column, easy swap. There was no horn whatsoever in it, so I was starting from scratch. It wasn't a problem, as there were provisions in the harness for it, relay and all. After that, it was just removing the S10 column and putting in an original, and matching up the turn signal wires. I'm happy to say that shoddy setup is just a bad memory and a pile of scrap in the other end of my garage.
Basically, you'll just be doing what I did in reverse. If you have any problems, someone will be able to help you out with it!
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
solidaxel

Most of the harness suppliers use the GM standard connections and they will "plug in"
I would check around and get a consensess of cost , I have used Its-A-
snap and EZ wire and both work great, I did like Its a snap better than the other one.

Just remember Relays are your friend !!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Denee007

I don't know how I came across this site! but the guy (Rick) said he's got what I need, so I'll call him Monday. He just said I need to keep the plug in parts off of the Impala's wiring harness. See what happens monday on this issue~!

http://www.gasalleystreetrods.com/Electrical.html
Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
OrrieG

The rebel wire harness looks like you need to splice to the old Impala plug. EZwire comes prewired for the column. I think its the same with Painless, etc. The silver female connectors go into a plastic piece to match the column you have. I think I paid $189 for my 21 circuit one.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
meter swinger

If youre allergic to electrical stuff as am i consider getting a quote from a local electric automotive repair shop. I just got a quote for 400 to wire my entire truck. Nothing fancy by any means. But considering the sparking bird nest under my dash, and the 63 galaxie that belongs to a friend of mine that just burned from an elec. Short under the hood i have suddenly found fresh motovation to get it done right even though i coul save a hundred at least by doing it myself. But i should not be alowed around energized electrical components given my propensity to "hotwire" stuff and get it fubared
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Denee007

So, if I decide that I really like this Impala column, I'd be ordering a wiring harness to fit it? and of course the rest of the truck. A couple hundred dollars sounds great! i was seeing some for 4-500$ eek! I guess I'd better spend some quality time with my column mocking it up to make darned sure that I like it enough for a permanent install! Thanks Orrie! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
The rebel wire harness looks like you need to splice to the old Impala plug. EZwire comes prewired for the column. I think its the same with Painless, etc. The silver female connectors go into a plastic piece to match the column you have. I think I paid $189 for my 21 circuit one.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Denee007

On my '67 Mustang coupe, I sent my original wiring to a guy on the Mustang site. He charged 175 to go through my original wiring (Under the dash) and he had found a bunch of shorts,cuts,splices,etc. and then I put it in and worked fine! ONly thing I wish I had had him to do was remove the AC circuit from the loom as it confused me greatly having it in there!

I had nothing better to do yesterday, and I'm pulling the harness out of the Impala, if nothing else, chock it up to experience! i'm just amazed how these old cars were put together! I'd say complicated~to me! I found a site telling how to make it easier to get out, that helped! The Impala really looks gutted now! poor thing!

Meterswinger! I'm with you! you know confindence is low when hooking the battery cable up and don't know what's going to happen when connecting it! k-boom, smoke or nothing! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
If youre allergic to electrical stuff as am i consider getting a quote from a local electric automotive repair shop. I just got a quote for 400 to wire my entire truck. Nothing fancy by any means. But considering the sparking bird nest under my dash, and the 63 galaxie that belongs to a friend of mine that just burned from an elec. Short under the hood i have suddenly found fresh motovation to get it done right even though i coul save a hundred at least by doing it myself. But i should not be alowed around energized electrical components given my propensity to "hotwire" stuff and get it fubared
Posted via Mobile Device