The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
ggtsvnv

Info

Hi I am new to the form. and have a question or two if someone can help. I have had several of these trucks in the past and am looking to get into another. My question is 1 is there a source for production numbers of options such as Cheyenne Supers or CST's? Also when looking for one that will hold value or maybe go up in value should I look for a specific tonage i.e. 1/2 or 3/4? The reason I ask is I know a guy with a 72 Cheyenne Super that has alot of options but it appears to be a 1 ton, and I was wondering if being a one ton would hurt the value. Also is there any info on Longhorns out there? are they worth much? Thanks in advance
ggtsvnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:10 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Longhornmail is the man to talk to about longhorns. I believe he is the expert on them.

BTW, welcome to the board from soggy Mississippi!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:16 AM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

In 1972 there were 2,450 1 ton longhorns made,

Thats about as detailed as the production numbers get.

7 percent of all 1972's had the super option
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Units built and #'s matching does not neccessarily increase value with with these trucks as it does with other collectables.

In general terms for resale purposes, the short wheel base 1/2 ton fleetsides tend to be the most sought after.

A Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super was a trim level and as such did not include comfort and convenience items like PS, PB, Air, auto, tilt, etc, by default.

71 and 72's are more desirable because they come with disk brake setups and are often times better equipped with options and safety features because of the truck marketing transformation taking place during this era.

Coil sprung 2wd's are more saleable because the suspension can be customized easier for those wanting to do this.

These are generalities from the standpoint of marketing a truck for resale. In reality, you need to decide what your goal is. If you want a customized truck, a 1 ton is probably not the way to go. If you want a nice functional "period piece" the truck you describe certainly has a lot going for it.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:06 PM   #5
ggtsvnv

Thanks for the help, at this time I have a couple that interest me. 1 is a 72 Cheyenne super that looks to be a 1 ton ( hoping to find out for sure) and seems to be loaded with options, i.e. air ps. pb. auxilary gas tank ect. the other is a 3/4 ton longhorn that also is a Cheyenne super 72 i think and it is loaded with bucket seats, air, ps, pb, wood bed, tach and I believe factory am/fm. the last one is a 72 GMC that is two owner with all the orgional paperwork ( precto plate owners manuel, smogg manuel, warrenty paperwork ect) and it is a 1/2 ton fleet side but does not have a lot of options execpt for auto trans, 350 4bbl, two tone paint and heavy duty springs front and rear ( real leaf). Not sure what one to go with any ideas? I will not be driving it everyday so thats not a concern more interested in somthing fun to work on that is worth the time and money. thanks again
ggtsvnv is offline   Reply With Quote