The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
CountrY

Looking to buy my first '67

So my names CountrY, I've lurked on these boards for a long time but now that I'm ready to get my first truck, I thought I'd finally sign up.

I live up in northern Illinois, and am in my junior year at the University of Illinois. I've always loved the look of these trucks, but the same uniqueness that makes me love them makes them hard to find. Lately I've been trolling craigslist (it's addictive) and I found a truck that sounded pretty good near me. I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of if it's a good deal or if i'm buying a money pit. Here's the ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2541877445.html and when I e-mailed him he sent me these pictures and description of some pros and cons of the truck. So...what do you guys think? Worth an offer or should I pass?
Attached Images

CountrY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
CountrY

Re: Looking to buy my first '67

He sent more pictures...should I post them or is 5 the limit per thread?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
sean1969c10

I think 5 is the limit per post, you can post ton's of pics in your thread. Look at the rocker panels and cab supports under the truck. Also look at the cab roof over the visors. This looks like a nice truck, but things might be lurking under that red paint. Try to take a car guy friend with you to look at it, he won't be as excited about it and might help by being more objective. Good luck!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
CountrY

Oh alright I guess I'll throw in some more pictures then, he sent 12, also, part of the e-mail he sent back:

Here's a run-down of what's going on with it so you know what you would be getting into: Tires, drums, and shocks are drive-able but should be replaced soon if it is going to be a daily, engine runs strong and starts every-time, transmission shifts through all four gears and reverse just fine. Body panels have almost no rust, with the exception of the rocker panels beneath the doors (one appears to have been rusted through and should be replaced).

The last owner painted the thing and he was an amateur by the looks of it, as the current paint looks good at first glance but is bubbling and flaking in areas. Honestly, the real work only needs to be done in the interior, with the previous owner again botching the paint job (you can see what I mean in the pictures, I mean honestly he should be shot for it) and with the radio and heater not functioning, but intact. Some upholstery and other minor issues need to be addressed in there as well. Small money stuff, but she needs time and TLC. Once again, body and drive train are good. Floor pan and bed are solid.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
CountrY

I'm guessing that small spot is the rusted through rocker in the last pic.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
stomper

That paint job might be a deal breaker for me. Id like it much better if the P.O. had just left it alone. Looks like it's blue underneath the peeling/bubbling red? That's going to look terrible later.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
CountrY

So is $4000 way to much or could I pay for a paint job if I talk him down a bit?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
QKENUF4U

looks like the paint that was on my 68 camaro when i bought it.. when i started stripping that car for a repaint the paint was coming off in 8" sheets..... made it easier to strip but PITA...

personally i see a money pit but then ive done my share of project trucks/cars and wont ever do another.. ill save my money and buy a truck thats done and i can make small changes to make it my own....

hes already told ya some of the stuff that needs fixed and you can see in the pics A LOT of other things that need fixed....

IMHO $2500 MAX is the best i would do for that truck..

good luck in your decision...
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountrY View Post
So is $4000 way to much or could I pay for a paint job if I talk him down a bit?
sounds like 4 is only the starting point, dosent say firm, says OBO

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
wwotr

I'd think it was a good deal...IF:
You could Clean/Detail it up, and be happy with a 6Cyl for awhile.

If it was ME, Id be wanting to put in a V-8/Auto Tranny/New Paint/
New Interior/New Lowering Springs/Shocks/Wheels /Tires......
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

id be leary of the fresh paint

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

I'd look around some more...sounds to me like a lot is hiding under that paint.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
dubds10
Stalker Nate

You guys are harsh lol That truck is easily a $4000 truck up here all day long with an almost rust free body. I guess down there you guys have a million '67 SWB fleets sitting in pastures just waiting rust free for restore hahaha

All depends on what you plan on doing with it though and how much you have to play with, and if you're mech/body work inclined or have to pay for it all.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
funkytechmonkey

CountrY.... Just to give you an idea...but shop around. I got REALLY lucky and picked this truck up for $6000.

http://funkytechmonkey.com/68_C10/

I look at over 10 different trucks... Pick them apart and dont be scared to make a REALLY low offer. There was one 67 I looked at that had "fresh paint" and a 400ci motor...The paint was crap and it looked like it was hiding a lot of stuff. He was asking $6000 and I told him "I dont want to insult you but I couldnt pay over $4000 for it". He called me as I was driving away and said he would take it. I walked away from it anyway and found the truck above. Keep your options open and dont jump on the first thing.

Good luck with your purchase.
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post
CountrY.... Just to give you an idea...but shop around. I got REALLY lucky and picked this truck up for $6000.

I look at over 10 different trucks... Pick them apart and dont be scared to make a REALLY low offer. There was one 67 I looked at that had "fresh paint" and a 400ci motor...The paint was crap and it looked like it was hiding a lot of stuff. He was asking $6000 and I told him "I dont want to insult you but I couldnt pay over $4000 for it". He called me as I was driving away and said he would take it. I walked away from it anyway and found the truck above. Keep your options open and dont jump on the first thing.

Yea but to CountrY's defense, the seller I thought was being completly "Up Front" with him. He told him it was an old restoration and the PO didnt look like he knew what he was doing.
I think that if CountrY wants to at least get a "Foot In The Door" of the 67-72 Truck Market and this is avaliable in his area, that he should go for it!
Theres no better pay off then to buy a Truck and degrease the engine, vacume the Interior, Shine the Tires and Buff the wheels.
He CountrY...if you DO get itm, be sure to take "Before & After" pics to document your progress and to share here with us!
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
You guys are harsh lol That truck is easily a $4000 truck up here all day long with an almost rust free body. I guess down there you guys have a million '67 SWB fleets sitting in pastures just waiting rust free for restore hahaha

All depends on what you plan on doing with it though and how much you have to play with, and if you're mech/body work inclined or have to pay for it all.
4000 IS a good price for a running SWB...and while this one looks decent on first glance... look at the interior paint and listen to the seller's words...I really think the paint COULD be and likely is hiding a lot of hidden rust/dents with bondo from the chipping/bubbling mentioned. I'd much rather have an original paint truck with a little rust than a freshly painted truck with issues...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
CountrY

I definitely wouldn't mind having the six and putting a little bit of work into it if what the guy is saying is really all that's wrong with it. Is there any way to check for bondo underneath the paint? I plan on stopping by to take a look at it and could use some tips on what to do/look for.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
CountrY

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post

Also, nice truck!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
Pop's C-10

A maganet will reveal mud or metal
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
cpisani70@aol.com

4000 seems a little high but as you said it is obo so you can offer him what YOU are willing to pay for it. My advice would be to buy the truck with the best cab you can afford , for me just about anything else I can deal with myself. Pay close attention to all aspects of the cab from rockers and supports to the cowl and roof area to me that is where a lot of the cost goes . You can always upgrade the motor and the interior isn't hard to deal with at all. Buy the truck you want so long as you know what you are getting into. I am very happy with my purchase and I am aware of the work that lies ahead however right now I am driving it to work Everyday !
Posted via Mobile Device
cpisani70@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

$4000,seems a bit high with the noted problems.Take a refigerator magnet to it when you look it over.The business card type.It will not stick where there is filler.Wear old clothes and crawl under and all over it looking for the bubbled paint.Just figure each bubble is a rust spot.Drive it a good while in different traffic conditions and at different speeds.Check for oil pressure,overheating and smoking.Do a search on the BB for rust and make a list of all the spots that can cause problems and check those areas.I'm not saying to reject it for any one of them but use the problems as barganing points.The truck/car market is a bit soft and you should be able to get him down a bit.
My 0.02 and probably only worth what you paid for it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
$4000,seems a bit high with the noted problems.Take a refigerator magnet to it when you look it over.The business card type.It will not stick where there is filler.Wear old clothes and crawl under and all over it looking for the bubbled paint.Just figure each bubble is a rust spot.Drive it a good while in different traffic conditions and at different speeds.Check for oil pressure,overheating and smoking.Do a search on the BB for rust and make a list of all the spots that can cause problems and check those areas.I'm not saying to reject it for any one of them but use the problems as barganing points.The truck/car market is a bit soft and you should be able to get him down a bit.
My 0.02 and probably only worth what you paid for it.
I bought my 1st 67 C-10 for $4k Cast. Had a 350 with a Turbo 400 Tranny, Body Work was done and it was in a black Gel Coat. This was back in 2001.
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"