The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
CHEVY_BOI93

I got a big surprise!!!!???

I bought this truck back in May. Rust free truck. short fleetside.1970 chevy C10 Ford 9inch Diff. Chevy 350 SB bored .30 over. disk breaks in front. PS PB. Yeah i know i got a heck of a deal for $2000. This is wear it gets fishy. The truck is is from New York. still has all the registration from over there. Guy give me a slip AKA Registration. He says they dont give titles to trucks these old up there. i do they accept it. he says yeah sure do. The slip clearly states that ownership is clearly TRANSFERABLE. So i trust him because he had a buddy of his who works in the DMV. and said they recognize it. So i buy the truck do some work (posted a build thread also on here). dont even think about getting a title for it about 2 months after i bought it. So i go and they dont RECOGNIZE IT!! So for over 3 months i have been battling with them that OWNERSHIP IS TRANSFERABLE. Turns out that for some odd reason they cant give me a title if the resistration is expired. (Funny thing is I called New York DMV and they say it doesnt matter if its expired OWNERSHIP is still transferable)

So what do i get an Awesome rust free truck runs and drives. ready to be a daily driver....and not title no plates not NOTHING!!! =( Big surprise...
WHAT TO DO????
CHEVY_BOI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
chevy88

Re: I got a big surprise!!!!???

Did you try and find another office or get them to talk directly with New York.
Don't give up it sound like you are dealing with somebody incompetent.By the way nice truck for $2000.

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
CHEVY_BOI93

i went to 3 offices before i finally got one office who didnt look at the date and said they would process is threw the state but thats when i got the letter saying my application for a title REJECTED!!!..i am going to call new york dmv and have them write a noted letter saying that my truck does have rights to a title in colorado......Hopefully the laws of Colorado wont over ride that jurisdiction.

Thanks, i know i got it for a steal...but now i know why...lol
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
Beat68CST

Apply for an ABANDONED title. Not a Salvage.

They'll put the truck in a list to see if anyone is looking for it for like a month or two, if no one hits it, through the DMV. They print you a new title.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #5
litew8

Maybe ownership is transferable, but getting a title for it isn't? Should have checked it out before. Nice pickup.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
pcwillsie

i have a 71 blazer that was last registered in Colorado and i feel your pain. it came to me without a title it had been lost in the process of many trades. I got ahold of the last registered owner in Co and he being the nice old gentleman he was went to the DMV to file for a lost title and guess what? Co will not give a lost title without the vehicle present running or not. Co has some real weird rules at the dmv.
pcwillsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Joe Blaze

NY will not give a title for a vehicle '72 or older. The registration is transferable with just the owner's signature on the back. I registered my '71 last week, which i bought at the Carlisle truck show and i turned in a Title from Virginia. I asked NY DMV if i will get a title, and they told me no. I said i understand if i never had a title to begin with, but i didn't understand why i would not get a new title if i turned in an out of state title. He said that it didn't matter, NY does not issue titles for vehicles before 1973 model. That is a problem for some states with convoluted title laws. Whereas a title never expires, a NY transferable registration does every two years. Even the registration period is expired, the form, as proof of ownership. should still be valid. You could just ask the guy you bought it from to re up the registration and pay the $35 fee, and then he would mail you the new valid NY transferable registration.
Joe Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blaze View Post
NY will not give a title for a vehicle '72 or older. The registration is transferable with just the owner's signature on the back. I registered my '71 last week, which i bought at the Carlisle truck show and i turned in a Title from Virginia. I asked NY DMV if i will get a title, and they told me no. I said i understand if i never had a title to begin with, but i didn't understand why i would not get a new title if i turned in an out of state title. He said that it didn't matter, NY does not issue titles for vehicles before 1973 model. That is a problem for some states with convoluted title laws. Whereas a title never expires, a NY transferable registration does every two years. Even the registration period is expired, the form, as proof of ownership. should still be valid. You could just ask the guy you bought it from to re up the registration and pay the $35 fee, and then he would mail you the new valid NY transferable registration.
I think that's what I'd try to do, seems the easiest. Might have to kick him back a few $$$ for the registration fees and effort to make it worth his time.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
2002yanks

thats odd. when i bought mine it wasnt on the road(expired at the time) i registered mine 2 or 3 weeks later with the expired registration with no problems.
2002yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
ItsRandy

So...how do you prove ownership of a pre-1973 vehicle in New York?
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY_BOI93 View Post

Thanks, i know i got it for a steal...but now i know why...lol
Exactly.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
So...how do you prove ownership of a pre-1973 vehicle in New York?
You prove ownership with either an out of state title, or a NY registration. If the car was in a barn for 25 years, and the registration was lost, then you are in for a hassle.
Joe Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
cdowns

your state is screwed up// i've never had a problem with getting a title from a state with a transferable reggie, i've had a few that were expired well over 20years
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

ALL states MUST honor vehicle tranfers form non title states...ITS THE LAW!
If New York is in fact a non title state as mentioned above....then you will need to contact someone with some knowledge higher up at your DMV and find out what forms they require to tranfer the vehicle. Normally the low level counter workers dont know the rules they are representing. Each states requirements are different when dealing with non title tranfers. You will probably also need to print out information from the New York DMV page where is states they are a non title state. NOW......if New York is a title state you will need to look at title companies or bonding companies if Colorodo excepts that type of thing.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
406 Q-ship

Sounds like CO is have a problem with the expired registration on truck. They want the transferable registration to be up to date. There is a way to do it I am sure, but for ease get the registration renued in NY and then transfer to CO. Of course keep the NY plates up to when they are about to run out so not to give any state your money for nothing.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Getting the last owner to renew the tags may be the quiackest way out of this B.S.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
bmfm64

I'll give you your 2 grand and take care of it.... Easy to get titles in wa. try titling it out of state and then transfering...
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
your state is screwed up// i've never had a problem with getting a title from a state with a transferable reggie, i've had a few that were expired well over 20years
yep, bought a bike years ago that the title was lost. applying for a lost title would have brought up some headaches for the son of the deceased owner, sooooo...... there are companies out there that can register the vehicle from out of a state that has no reggie, like Alabama (I think). you then get a clean slate to start from. if things are on the level, there shouldn't be an issue.

but it's not cheap; about a quarter of what you paid for the entire truck.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
blkcorvair

I deal with the DMV registering new vehicles up here in NY all the time. One DMV from the next hardly knows the laws.

In NYS any vehicle manufactured prior to 1973 Only receives a transferrable registration. This transferable registration is your proof of ownership. Weather the registration is expired or not this makes no difference. That little paper is your proof. You should look up NYS DMV laws print them and bring them back to the DMV and demand to have a supervisor speak with a NYS DMV. That is very common practice in NY. (Been that way since before 1973.) In fact today if you register a new trailer that is under 800lbs in weight as manufactured they still only issue you a transferrable registration.

Sorry to hear bout the hassles in your state. My next move would be go to another DMV that is near you. Alot of what these DMV personnel act on is what they "think" is right.
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

hate that kinda BS
man it sure seems confusing for you guys
whats the diff of the two.....is it one to own it,and another to sell it?
I'm going to the DMV for a lost ownership tommorrow(told never transfered 6 years)
from what i remember ,for here i give 20.to the office they print out a
"used car package" with the last owners name on it
then use the phone book......

we have to supply the package,to sell and show no liens on it
and you get a new ownership
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Never had an issue getting tags in VA with the registration for a 71 New Yorker from NY. The DMV there had no issue transferring it to a VA title.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #22
CHEVY_BOI93

So you NEW YORK guys are saying that the registration is valid EXPIRED OR NOT? is that correct or what...and i would bond for the title but thats another $300-$400!! thats B.S.!!!! guy told me dmv would take it. and i dont want to go to the previous owner because then i know he'll try and take me to court if i try returning the truck to him. i asked him if he could get a title for me. (this was the plan since day one when i went to go look at the truck) he claims (NEW YORK guys correct me if im wrong) that New will not give a title or registation to any car or truck before 1972 without having the car or truck present so that they can take pictures of it...WTF??? why would they need pictures???

DMV ppl are difficult to work with. i went to one dmv they gave me an attitude and said they didnt even know what i was handing them! THEY HADENT EVEN READ THE BACK YET!!. went to another one. they said the say thing....till i went to the 3rd one and the guy was about to tell me the same thing when i told him to read the back. he accepted it proccesed it. BUT..the state of COLORADO reject the application for a title....
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #23
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

up here i needed a appraisal to get my jimmy in my name
never done that before,apprasial guy said somany frauds are happening they want the "truck/car" examened
make sure it's real ,he has to see it
said ppl go to a junk yard buy a junker for vin tag .....report it stolen
this guy said thats why when they get written off they get branded salvage title(parts only)
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #24
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVY_BOI93 View Post
So you NEW YORK guys are saying that the registration is valid EXPIRED OR NOT? is that correct or what...and i would bond for the title but thats another $300-$400!! thats B.S.!!!! guy told me dmv would take it. and i dont want to go to the previous owner because then i know he'll try and take me to court if i try returning the truck to him. i asked him if he could get a title for me. (this was the plan since day one when i went to go look at the truck) he claims (NEW YORK guys correct me if im wrong) that New will not give a title or registation to any car or truck before 1972 without having the car or truck present so that they can take pictures of it...WTF??? why would they need pictures???

DMV ppl are difficult to work with. i went to one dmv they gave me an attitude and said they didnt even know what i was handing them! THEY HADENT EVEN READ THE BACK YET!!. went to another one. they said the say thing....till i went to the 3rd one and the guy was about to tell me the same thing when i told him to read the back. he accepted it proccesed it. BUT..the state of COLORADO reject the application for a title....
New York State doe not issue titles for 72 or older vehicles. As stated above, the state issues a "New York State Registration Document" which has the word "Transferable" on the front and a section on the back to indicate who the ownership was transferred to and a signature line and date of the current registrant after the statement"I am the registered owner of the vehicle described on the other side, or a member of the firm or an officer of the corporation registering the vehicle, and have the right to dispose of the vehicle".
The signed registration and a home made bill of sale listing to whom the truck was sold and for how much (New York collects sales tax on the cost when it is registered) is all that is needed in New York to register it. Therefore, there has to be some recognition in your state of NY's process. I am sure that this is not the first pre 73 vehicle being re-regestered in your state. Good Luck. Hope you can get through the red tape.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
406 Q-ship

I am almost willing to bet that CO is not rejecting the NY transferable registration. CO is rejecting it because that transferable registration is EXPIRED. Remeber it is all about money with the DMV. Does AAA offer registration service in NY and CO, if so then go through them.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote