The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Scottri

Cargo Light Installation.

I picked up a cargo light, wiring harness and switch over the weekend and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on installing it on a truck that was not equipped with one. I know I need to cut a hole but was hoping someone could give me some idea of how big, exact location and such. Also, I need information about wiring it up.

Thanks!

Scott
Scottri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Scott, I installed a cargo light on my "plain jane" 4x4 with not much trouble at all. I used the rubber weather seal as a templete to find where it conforms to the back of the cab for the best "fit and seal" to the metal of the cab. Centered it from side to side using a tape measure. I drilled a starting hole and cut the hole using a fine tooth hacksaw. (Caution here--do not push to hard on that drill and go thru the inner cab panel!) Then drilled the mounting screw holes and used original mounting screws to mount the body of the light. Used machine thread nuts and small lockwasher to run on the mounting screws. Running the wire was a bit of a hassle but by using a semi-stiff wire attached to the wire harness I was able to pull it down the left side door piller and ran it under the door thresold. I hooked mine up to a "ignition hot" section of the fuse block and ran it off a lighted toggle switch. I done this same install on a 72 2wd once and used the original cab mounted switch. I like the toggle switch better. Others may have some better ideas but this worked for me and other than using the toggle switch you can't tell it from a factory installed cargo light. Hope that gives you some help. Good luck and Keep On Truckin'
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Scott, Forgot to add this. When you cut the hole for the cargo light body DO NOT cut it any larger than necessary. I made a cardboard templete which was just large enough to allow the light socket portion to protrude through the hole you cut. Go slow, think twice, maybe three times before cutting and drilling to be sure the hole is size needed and placement is correct. You'll do fine I'm sure. Happy installing. Cargo light is a handy option.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
casey

good advice ironhorse, I didn't have the wiring harness, so I just hooked mine to the interior light power, so if you need the cargo light the interior light is on as well, I thought big deal thats how the newer trucks work, it saved me alot of wiring work, there a cool option
casey is offline   Reply With Quote