The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Denee007

What to do with my old motor?

Hi, I had just put my I6 230 up for sale here in Houston. IF I can't sell it or give it away, what would I do with it? Can I take it to the junk yard? It's just taking up too much room in my already small garage. Would a salvage yard take it?
dne'
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
FFredo

Re: What to do with my old motor?

Drain it and take it to a recycle yard, they pay in cash.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
Houston54

If it is a good motor it should be worth at least $100. Just stick it in a corner or on the patio under a tarp, place an ad on craigslist and be patient. Eventually someone will come buy it and you will have some extra gas money.
If that is not an option take it to a local salvage yard. They will take it off you hands but will probably not give you anything at all for it.
I drop off my extra rusty metal and unneeded parts at Charlies Auto Salvage on the East side of Tomball. They will unload it for you.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
77chris03

do you have the power steering bracket for it? air clear? pics? may be interested for my girls 50 chevy truck....she has the 62 I6 in hers and is missing the air cleaner and she wants power steering... let me know here or pm...
68 C10 Stepper #1- GONE 68 C10 Stepper #2
1977 Chevy Cheyenne...gone...was my first Chevy
04 Tahoe Z71, 04 Silverado 2500HD, 04 Sierra 2500HD
99 Sierra Stepside, 17 Denali HD, 84 K10
My 1st build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379333
My 2nd build-- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700310
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

is it a 230 or original 235?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
mbgmike

don't waste your time with the big scrap metal companies in houston. They only want if its exotic or aluminum. We tried to give away and old forklift that ran and they did not even want it. Most said it was not worth their time. I was hoping i would get at least one $2.00 bill. Now we just leave it out and its gone
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I see its a 230, blocks are paying $17, hardly worth the trip to the yard unless you have a trailer full. A complete engine is about $40 @600 lbs. I'd put it on craigslist for $150- $200. I'd take it off your hands but its to new for me. Rose Metals pays OK but you have to unload it yourself and thats tough with blocks and engines. C&D unloads but I never end up with the going rate or the actual weight I bring in. I usually end up with a tin rate on cast iron. Maybe thats why he's driving a Mazerati and I get a few $2 bills.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
mr48chev

If it still has the flywheel and starter on it along with the rest of the pieces it needs so that it can be started and run for a few seconds that is a plus and helps bring a few more bucks.

Selling it for scrap is still better than paying to get rid of it or give it to a scrapper if you don't want to mess with hauling it away. But you do have to put some effort in it to get the best prices out of scrap metal and that includes sorting it so that you get the best price for what you have.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Denee007

Unfortunatley it didn't have power steering, nor an air cleaner(I had a little chrome one on it). IT runs, I had the head off of it cleaning some debri that made into the engine combustion chamber. Took all the pistons out, took the head and pistons to my mechanic engine overhauler friend, he said all looked ok, but put new connecting rod bearings. IT runs fine, the carb isn't very good as it runs very rich.
The tranny granny 4 speed also goes with it(another boat anchor). I noticed today that the bell housing which mounts to the frame, has a hole in it, but I guess it's ok for a daily driver. and the driveshaft goes to of course.
I'm making a furniture dolly to accomdate it to roll it out of the way and get it off the engine hoist and do like Houston54 said, put a tarp over it and keep it running on CL.
I thought I was going to get lucky; I kept it on the engine crane, then I could just have loaded right into someone's truck! ha ha! ; )
If it sits around for a month or so, I'll call a local salvage yard and see if they'll take it.
THanks for the advice!!!
dne'

Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
hsdropout

You might check with your local car clubs.....some of the low riders love the straight sixes.
I sold mine off craigslist in a couple days for 125 bucks and wasn't nearly that good condition.
Somebody surely wants it for parts if nothing else.
hsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
BMERDOC

Empty it out, Get a piece of glass, fab stands from the motor mount locations and make a table out of it!! Ever seen the Uk Top Gear coffee table?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
FFredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Empty it out, Get a piece of glass, fab stands from the motor mount locations and make a table out of it!! Ever seen the Uk Top Gear coffee table?
This for the WIN
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
tmoble

Does that thing have chrome valve cover, side covers and oil pan? Timing cover too?

Put it on CL with a couple pics, wipe off the chrome first. That chrome stuff for 6's is hard to come by. Wonder if that was a factory marine engine?

With flywheel, clutch, 4 spd truck tranny, runs, $400 at least.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
Denee007

OK, then, here's what I'm going to do! I'll take it off of CL for a little bit and really clean up everything; I have a pressure washer, so I'll make it look really good, including the 4 speed,driveshaft etc; then put it back on CL. This morning I made a stand for the engine on a furniture dolly~ doesn't roll as well as I would have liked, but at least keeps it off of the floor. Thanks Tmobile~ ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Does that thing have chrome valve cover, side covers and oil pan? Timing cover too?

Put it on CL with a couple pics, wipe off the chrome first. That chrome stuff for 6's is hard to come by. Wonder if that was a factory marine engine?

With flywheel, clutch, 4 spd truck tranny, runs, $400 at least.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Intimidator

Get a Rider Lawn Mower and stuff it!!!!!!!!!!!

DO IT!!!!! DO IT!!!!!

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
gearheads78

Advertise it on the HAMB. Its will sell quick.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
tmoble

What gearheads said. Targeted marketing works.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
tmoble

eyeball the fore-aft positioning of the bellhousing as it sits now. Stretch a string or wire across the front of it, mark the frame. Sell the bellhousing with the engine. get the tranny crossmember installed loosely, vise-grip the ends to the frame or something like that. get the tranny up in there and bolted loosely to the crosssmember. floorjack under the tranny, release the visegrips, slide the tranny and crossmember to where it lines up with where the stock bellhousing was. Don't weld or bolt anything on the tranny crossmember till you get the engine hung in there. Basically the same drill on the engine, install the crossmember loosely, set the engine on it but keep the weight of the engine on the hoist. slide it forward or back till it's on the tranny.

You may want to cheat the whole thing forward an inch or so to accommodate the HEI distributor you'll probably have. They're larger in diameter than the stock distributor and you want to have a little room behind it. Like enough to get your hand in there. Get the 4 bottom bolts in the tranny bellhousing, pull the jack and hoist, see how it looks. If OK, lift it a little and weld or bolt the two crossmembers. The location of the engine and tranny is not like some Holy Grail deal. If you need to cheat it a little just do it. You're not changing the relationship between the engine/tranny assembly and the crossmembers in this deal.

I went to a lot of trouble to locate my V-8 perfectly as a factory V-8 would have been, everything would have been a lot easier if I cheated it forward a half or 3/4 inch. HEI was too tight on the firewall, tranny dipstick tube didn't fit so hot, etc. I still fight with the tranny dipstick every time I check it.

Last edited by tmoble; 08-18-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: imagudsplr
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Get a Rider Lawn Mower and stuff it!!!!!!!!!!!

DO IT!!!!! DO IT!!!!!

that would be cool long wheelbase with duals.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Denee007

Well, doesn't take up as much room as I thought it would(regarding the 230 i6)~ I put the engine on a furniture dolly with some support brackets and it rolls "ok". I told Gary I'd need some help getting it and other items outside to pressure wash. Not looking forward to getting that engine outside of my garage. AFter it's prettied up, then I'll put in on CL again and that HAMB site that was recommended.

Well, that about brings this thread to a close unless members have something else to add/

Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
70BLAZERX2

check with you local boat marina....there are a many a boat running that engine still...
70BLAZERX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Denee007

hm a marine engine, hm

You know, for fun today, I actually went through CL looking for say a '60's model something, truck or car in need of an engine. You know a car maybe really cheap and in need of a 230. I found an old Nova, but I know Gary would have a cow for even mentioning the idea of having another clunker around here, besides it would have wound up costing 20 x as much to do it! lol heck, you never know!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
Daze57

sounds a bit funny havin a guy complain ;bout too many cars or trucks in your yard
ya can never have too many old trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can see you gettin a C O E just for kicks - put that bad boy in your yard !!!!!!!!!
good luck on your truck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
Denee007

Gary is a great guy! works hard~ he's a geologist and is good at it, but I guess he never had time in life to learn how to do much outside of his office; he works many hours and he would just pay people to do "stuff". We've been married 7 years, and I pretty much do all the mechanical stuff on our old cars, but the new cars go to the dealer(warranty stuff). I grew up with 3 brothers and did whatever they did, but better! ; ) My father insisted I take automechanics in Highschool(that was in '70-73) like my brothers. He was sure that it would be a good thing for a girl(then) to know how to work on a car; even if just to change oil, or not get taken at an auto repair place! Now I cherish what I learned in school and what I do now! Just wish my girls had some interest in garage fun! Just a little bit about your truly! ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
sounds a bit funny havin a guy complain ;bout too many cars or trucks in your yard
ya can never have too many old trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can see you gettin a C O E just for kicks - put that bad boy in your yard !!!!!!!!!
good luck on your truck
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
tmoble

Say, you wouldn't happen to have a twin sister that's a lot like you?

I didn't think so.