The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Trucks with NO heaters!

Hey, I'm curious what you guys who have shaved their firewalls and takin out their heaters are doing with the heater control space? Are you guys leaving the heater controls in the dash for looks and the heater box in the cab for originality? Or are you guys taking all that stuff out? I'm planning on plugging those holes in the firewall so I need your guys input in what I should do with the rest of the heater stuff in the cab...

Here is what I'm kinda thinking...Plugging the holes, removing the heater boxes that are in the cab, and pulling the heater controls in the dash. I want to keep it looking original though...So I thought of making a "heater control delete" that would be just like the radio delete. Would that look too plain of a dash though? Or putting gauges in there? I thought of just leaving the heater control in the dash and heater boxes in the cab, but it would be kinda pointless if I have no heater.

What are you guys doing with the space? Pics would be awesome and just any ideas you have!

I'm having the same dilema with my radio...I think it looks really cool in the dash and adds style, but I'm not gonna have any speakers or have it hooked up to anything so why have it in there you know?

Thanks
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Ackattack

Re: Trucks with NO heaters!

I shaved my firewall, but put in a Old Air A/C system.

If I wasn't going to have anything, maybe put in a radio delete panel, and then I think a CD player will fit where the heater controls goes.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Clutch442

Just curious as you're in North Dakota. Why no heater? I could see in Southern Cal, but not North Dakota.
Clutch442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

It would be a perfect spot for a modern day cd player, but I don't plan on putting a sound system of any kind in there, so I won't need a cd player.

Well, once I get the truck how I want it, I'm prob not gonna drive it much because it's going to be a gas hag!! And also I'm prob not gonna wanna drive it through the snow a lot. If I had to it would be fine though, I've had that as my daily driver through the winter for two years now with a heater, but the dang thing barely blew any hot air out. It has the original Harrison heater core in it, which I assume needs a good cleaning lol. I got use to driving that thing back and forth 60 miles round trip to college and back home with hardly any heat. I have some funny memories in that thing...
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
rideharder

I'm puting a stereo there and running a 55-59 in cab heater in my 67...my motor swap wouldn't allow me to run a factory heater. A motor control knob and mechanical floor/defrost very basic and simple
Posted via Mobile Device
rideharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
MagmaJct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
It would be a perfect spot for a modern day cd player, but I don't plan on putting a sound system of any kind in there, so I won't need a cd player.

Well, once I get the truck how I want it, I'm prob not gonna drive it much because it's going to be a gas hag!! And also I'm prob not gonna wanna drive it through the snow a lot. If I had to it would be fine though, I've had that as my daily driver through the winter for two years now with a heater, but the dang thing barely blew any hot air out. It has the original Harrison heater core in it, which I assume needs a good cleaning lol. I got use to driving that thing back and forth 60 miles round trip to college and back home with hardly any heat. I have some funny memories in that thing...
What temp thermostat do you have installed in it?

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post

If 60 miles gets you to UND I probably shouldn't help but here goes anyways...

If you are barely getting any heat you should address that and leave the heater in the truck. There are many times - like this morning - where you would need heat to get around. (It was 57 when I left my house this morning). Start with the easy stuff.
Make sure your radiator is full. If you don't have an overflow tank your water level should be down a couple of inches from the radiator cap but I'd still start with burping the system and filling it up to the top.

Make sure all your ducts are attached. If you're running stock duct work it is probably all cracked and leaking.

Make sure your fan blows on all speeds.

If a full, burped system and good duct work doesn't give you heat I'd go further. Drain the system, change the thermostat and flush the heater core back and forth a few times while you have the system open. Refill, re-burp.

If still no heat you need to make sure your heater core isn't surrounded by a mouse nest or 40 years of pine needles or similar. That job sucks. You need to remove the box the heater core is in (inside the cab on an AC truck, outside on non-AC) and clean it out.

I will say that after I converted my truck to be an AC truck that the heater was better. I've read in this forum that a stock AC blower motor moves more air than a stock non-AC blower motor. I'm not sure about that but I do know that if I'm plowing snow for longer than 1/2 hour I have to roll the windows down because it is too hot in the cab.

And as a MN Gophers Men's Hockey season ticket holder since 1986, just kidding about the UND crack. Go Gophers!
Now that the NCAA is making you change your name I think you guys should go back to the flicker tails like you were years ago before you became the Sioux. Then we could call you the little gophers.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
ryans69chevy

Ah, I believe I put a 190 or 195 tstat in there.

I actually go to Moorhead for college! haha

I already did everything except flush the heater core. I replaced all ducts, took heater boxes out of cab, cleaned them out, replaced heater switch, replaced the hoses under the hood, took the heater core box off and cleaned all that out, replaced heater motor, replaced squirrel cage, changed tstat. Instead of saying it didn't give me any heat, I should of said it wasn't blowing hardly any air which I determined was the heater core itself. I actually replaced the heater core and it moved A LOT more air through,

But now that I'm not gonna have it as my dd, I've decided that I want to do a frame off resto on it and not even put a heater in it, because I will prob only drive it when it's nice out. To car shows and what not.

So I'm just trying to think of what to do with the space in the dash to make it look nice!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Indyuke

I was under the impression that the heaters in these trucks were pretty good. I have an AC truck, and the heater works better than the other two vehicles I have. My F150 blows hot air, but nothing like my C10. My wife has a brand new Sonata, and it's heater is more than adequate, but still wimpy compared to the C10.

I can turn the heater on full, and within a few minutes it gets so hot in the cab I can barely breath. The only other vehicle that I've seen do that is an '88 GMC my dad had once.

If the system is in good shape, it should literally give you heat stroke. A buddy and I were driving home once from work at about 2am, snow was blowing across the field, filling up the ditch and creating drifts on the road. The outside temp was 4deg F when we left, and we walked out to the truck, froze for 5mins before it started to warm up. Within 15mins my buddy and I were sweating, our faces were red and we were cracking the windows down and couple inches. It was a good feeling.
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
big_al_71

No heater and EVERYTHING related to heater is GONE....We installed an A/C unit from classic auto air and you have to reuse the original controls.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
goodscotch

I pulled all the heater stuff and just made a plate to go on the firewall. I'm still looking for a round something for the hole.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
67chevemall

You guys would know if you have to take the hood hinge off to get the heater box out??
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
goodscotch

No, it unbolts from inside the cab.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
67chevemall

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodscotch View Post
No, it unbolts from inside the cab.
sweet thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
Maxxd07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
You guys would know if you have to take the hood hinge off to get the heater box out??
Yes, if you want to get the heater core out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
67chevemall

oh O conflicting! lol

Ya my heater core blew a hole.....

I guess just un bolt the hinge and lift it up a bit?????

drank a 12 and staired at it....big debate! Delete the whole thing or repair the core...

Going to fix it to keep the woman warm and just in case the world blows up I'll need the heat in Northern Ontario.....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I needed somewhere to put my air ride gauges, so that's where I'm putting mine until I get some type of AC. I bent a peice of sheet metal with 2 holes for the gauges in it and used the bracket off the ac contols to mount it. The gauges are a little tight fit in the space and could actually use a tiny bit of grinding, but it's one of those long term/temporary things so it'll just have to do.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
goodscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
oh O conflicting! lol

Ya my heater core blew a hole.....

I guess just un bolt the hinge and lift it up a bit?????

drank a 12 and staired at it....big debate! Delete the whole thing or repair the core...

Going to fix it to keep the woman warm and just in case the world blows up I'll need the heat in Northern Ontario.....

I didn't have any trouble removing the core or the box inside once I located all the bolts. I didn't have to remove the hinge.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
goodscotch

I am looking for a heater delete plate. I found a radio delete on ebay but no luck so far on a heater delete plate. I want to postb in the classifieds but I don't have permission.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
pat 70/71

I'm in so cal and have no heater (due to smooth fire wall) not a problem at all. biggest issue is rainy days I just have to open vents and crack the window a little. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
ryans69chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyuke View Post
A buddy and I were driving home once from work at about 2am, snow was blowing across the field, filling up the ditch and creating drifts on the road. The outside temp was 4deg F when we left, and we walked out to the truck, froze for 5mins before it started to warm up. Within 15mins my buddy and I were sweating, our faces were red and we were cracking the windows down and couple inches. It was a good feeling.
I had the opposite feeling last winter! I remember it was negative 30 F and my truck sits outside all night so I got in and man it was so cold! It was hard to shift!! lol I was driving with gloves luckily! haha It didn't get warm for about 25 min!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
No heater and EVERYTHING related to heater is GONE....We installed an A/C unit from classic auto air and you have to reuse the original controls.
That would be good to do! But I don't plan on putting in an A/C unit either... haha

Quote:
I pulled all the heater stuff and just made a plate to go on the firewall. I'm still looking for a round something for the hole.
That's look good! Couldn't you just cut sheet metal to size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
I needed somewhere to put my air ride gauges, so that's where I'm putting mine until I get some type of AC. I bent a peice of sheet metal with 2 holes for the gauges in it and used the bracket off the ac contols to mount it. The gauges are a little tight fit in the space and could actually use a tiny bit of grinding, but it's one of those long term/temporary things so it'll just have to do.
I've actually thought of that! But I prob won't need any other gauges after I get a full stock gauge cluster w/tach

Quote:
I am looking for a heater delete plate. I found a radio delete on ebay but no luck so far on a heater delete plate. I want to postb in the classifieds but I don't have permission.
They actually made heater delete plates??? I was just thinking if it came down to it I'd just make one! But it would prob be cooler if I had an actual plate!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
JOHNORO
oldschoolblazer@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
any pics ?
JOHNORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
racerx8413

Ya but, don't you guys have north worry about no heat = no defrost?
racerx8413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNORO View Post
any pics ?
Sorry, Johnoro...never saw this post. I actually don't have a pic yet because I mocked it up a few months ago and haven't yet finished. I'm hoping to be done by the end of Oct, so I'll get one up then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8413 View Post
Ya but, don't you guys have north worry about no heat = no defrost?
Isn't that what the vent window is for?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
CEE1NG_RED

Is the process to flushing the radiator cooling syste still the same process with no heater (using a garden hose, etc)???
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote