The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Webwillie

gas pedal spring install

Hey Fellas'

I've a 72 Chev that I am putting a new gas foot pedal (the thing your foot sits on). I've got the pieces, including a spring which I assume puts tension on pedal, but I'm not sure how spring goes on. Truck never had pedal on it when I got it. Can anyone show me how it clips on? Thanks for your help
Webwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
whiteyandreddy

Re: gas pedal spring install

I'm not sure if you got your question answered or not, but I will provide the answer I have found to work. Assuming you have the pedal, pin, & spring in-hand, the linkage is attached to the firewall, and the floor coveringt is moved out of the way:
1) Hold the pedal backside-up so you can see the openings where the pin will pass through, with one narrow edge (width) towards you. The original is symmetrical (half - turn symmetry) so don't worry about top or bottom.
2) The spring will have two ends: one straight and one forming a half loop. Tape the straight side down to the pedal so the spring opening (the cylinder formed by the spring windings) is in-line with the pedal openings on the right side of the pedal. The straight side should be point toward you, with the "half-loop" side farther from you
3) Holding the pedal backside up, put the pedal under the linkage, roughly line up the holes and place the half loop of the spring over the linkage (about 3 inches away from the end of the linkage)
4) Line up the holds in the backside of the pedal with the spring cylinder and the linkage and start the pin through the outside of the pedal. You should push the pin through the right side of the pedal, the spring, the linkage hole and then the left outside of the pedal. There should be no tension on the spring at this point.
5) Push the pin all the way through the linkage and to the outside of the pedal. At this point you will basically see a pedal installed "upside-down", but with tension on the spring.
6) Now lift up the linkage so you can turn the pedal over, grab the face of the pedal, and turn the pedal so the topside is now showing up (basically rotating it 180 degrees over the front edge of the linkage, not over the linkage diameter because the pin will keep you from doing that of course). It will feel like you are going to break the pedal as the spring gains tension and you drag the pedal on the front edge of the linkage, but it won't break if you do it quickly without twisting the pedal. Once you pull the pedal top-side up, you will feel it stay in position under tension.
Let me know if this helps or not. It is tricky the first time.
. . . . . ______l__l\___
. . . . .l_[(O)]_____(O)]
whiteyandreddy is offline   Reply With Quote