The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
rwhit57

Be Safe!!!!!

On one of the threads I brought up how working on suspension can be dangerous. I thought the safety aspect might be a good topic to bring up. Things like always using jack stands, safety glasses, you know normal stuff we sometimes overlook or don't do out of inconvenience. Awhile back I had to go to the ER to have a piece of metal removed from my eye, just because I didn't go get my glasses from the bench. It would have taken me a minute to get them. I spent 4 hrs. at the ER! I'm sure you guys have some stories. So be safe out there.

Last edited by rwhit57; 08-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.
rwhit57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
juiceman650

Re: Be Safe!!!!!

Whoa dude, that's hardcore. Hope you make a speedy recovery though. I almost got electrocuted by cutting through a power wire while the battery was still hooked up, luckily I was wearing gloves. Decided to disconnect the battery after the "fireworks" and got back to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman650 View Post
Whoa dude, that's hardcore. Hope you make a speedy recovery though. I almost got electrocuted by cutting through a power wire while the battery was still hooked up, luckily I was wearing gloves. Decided to disconnect the battery after the "fireworks" and got back to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Juiceman, I went back and edited that after I realized it sounded like I just did it. It was sometime back and I'm fine. We all do stupid stuff sometimes.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
juiceman650

Oh,okay. That's still hardcore though. And yeah, I agree with you on the stupid stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Maxxd07

Excellent topic, another point to bring up would be welding with proper clothing. Seems there are some pics here with people welding with shorts and/or sandals on and things dont feel to good when sparks end up where they shouldnt.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Excellent topic, another point to bring up would be welding with proper clothing. Seems there are some pics here with people welding with shorts and/or sandals on and things dont feel to good when sparks end up where they shouldnt.
Not too mention the intense sunburn from a welder. I made that mistake just recently. Only had a few holes to weld up so I wore glasses instead of my full hood. I looked like Rocky Racoon and it hurt like hell for a couple of days.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Maxxd07

Hate to say it but I have burned my arms before too since I thought it was too warm out to put on my welding jacket. Didnt make that mistake more than once though!
Couple 70s
One 68
Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

i tend to always work barefooted. ive stepped on sharp metal and bolts ive cut and boy did it hurt. ive gotten my hand caught by the grinder with and without gloves. Ive also been electrocuted multiple times. hurt each time!

wear safety equipment whenever possible.
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
vtwinsport

yep, definately. I've been too close way too many times with the grinder. bits of wire wheels imbedded in my skin and arm and stomach in past years. Finally got my full aray of safety gear and its worth every dollar.

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

the wire wheels made me think... If you are going to use a wire wheel, do do it near any cars sitting outside. On my old white truck, I did a bunch of wire wheeling near it and then it rained that night and I came out in the morning and the WHITE truck was covered with little bits of the wire from the wheel and they had rusted during the night in the rain. so I spent most of the day getting hundreds of rust stains out of my paint.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Maxxd07

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinsport View Post
yep, definately. I've been too close way too many times with the grinder. bits of wire wheels imbedded in my skin and arm and stomach in past years. Finally got my full aray of safety gear and its worth every dollar.
Funny story about wire wheels, I was buffing a weld with a wire wheel at work one day, had saftey glasses on but no face shield. I felt one hit my face but didnt think anything of it. A co-worker comes in and after about 5 mins says "You have a piece of wire sticking out by your lip" Mind you I have facial hair and it stuck out way past that. I felt around and once I felt it and pulled it out it hurt like a sob. Now I wear face shields too while grinding.
Couple 70s
One 68
Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Goldfinger

"Excellent topic, another point to bring up would be welding with proper clothing" always cover your skin and eyes when using a welder. The slag burns will take a long time to heal and you can get second degree burns from just being exposed to the light.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
92GMCDriver

Another bit of advice while welding. i was sitting down while welding in shop class at school once, i had the coveralls and leather apron on etc, but the coveralls hiked up my legs a bit when i sat down. lets just say a piece of hot slag doesn't feel too good inside your shoe, more so when you cant get it out.
92GMCDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
SCOTI

This was wearing leather work gloves. There was only a 'thread' of tendon left intact. Can you imagine the same incident w/o gloves?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
Goldfinger

scotti been there done that. i've wire brush to the bone before.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
wyattglock

I work in a machine shop on large diesel engines. On a daily basis I use wire wheels, grinding wheels, and chisels to remove sand and rust from castings. I couldn't count how many times I have had to replace my faceshield due to grinding wheels breaking apart. Last week I had a piece of wire sticking in the plexi face shield in line with my eyes. The other big thing is when blowing off parts, make sure to wear a mask/shield of some sort. We get about 3 to 5 eye injuries a week even with people wearing goggles. The chips stick in their hair and eyebrows then fall into their eyes when they go home and take a shower.

BTW, great topic! It is always good to have reminders before experiencing the injuries firsthand!
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
On one of the threads I brought up how working on suspension can be dangerous. I thought the safety aspect might be a good topic to bring up. Things like always using jack stands, safety glasses, you know normal stuff we sometimes overlook or don't do out of inconvenience. Awhile back I had to go to the ER to have a piece of metal removed from my eye, just because I didn't go get my glasses from the bench. It would have taken me a minute to get them. I spent 4 hrs. at the ER! I'm sure you guys have some stories. So be safe out there.
i had the same thing happen about six years ago..i piece of rust got in my eye...didnt even notice it....worst pain of my life the next day...spent about six hours at medical waiting on them to get what the could out then had to goto the eye doctor...another two hours there....no fun...dont buy northern trucks anymore or work on them without eye care
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I don't have a link but there's a post with a pic of a guy who has a wire from a wire wheel.It's sticking thru his eyelid and into his eyeball.It was posted maybe a year or so ago.Really makes you stop and go get your sheild.

Found the thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...rinding+safety
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit57 View Post
Not too mention the intense sunburn from a welder. I made that mistake just recently. Only had a few holes to weld up so I wore glasses instead of my full hood. I looked like Rocky Racoon and it hurt like hell for a couple of days.
Oh man-this reminded me of a time a few years back. I do concrete work, and I had to make some custom-length ties to hold some wall forms together. It is common to just cut the ties and weld them to the correct length. Well, I didn't have my hood with me, and being a cheap-skate, I went to home depot and bought one of those replacement lenses, the one that is about 4" square, and just held it in front of my face while welding about 30 or 40 ties together. It all went well and after I was done I headed home. I had to make 3 or 4 stops on the way, and I kept getting the strangest looks. Finally, I happened to catch a glimpse of my face in a mirror and sure enough-my whole face was beet red except for a 4" square of white. I was the goofiest looking thing I'd ever saw!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxd07 View Post
Hate to say it but I have burned my arms before too since I thought it was too warm out to put on my welding jacket. Didnt make that mistake more than once though!
Yup. Nothing like getting a painful farmer tan the hard way.
I have worn ny jacket, but forgot to button up the top button. Fohggedaboutit.

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
....wear your adult diaper when you go out to play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I am tard.
Do, or do not, there is no try
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
TIM86

Just had to watch a couple of safety videos for welding class. The name of the video was: My precious eyes, the gory story. It showed some pretty intense stuff. Needless to say I will be even more anal about wearing the right gear for the right job.
TIM86 is offline   Reply With Quote