The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
BMERDOC

Headlights and Relays

So I was looking over my truck for upgrades. Anything I can knock out quick and cheap. I looked into doing the headlamp relay upgrade to my truck so I measured voltage at the plug and found it to be .5v lower than system voltage. So am I correct to assume that its not a matter of voltage but its amperage where it counts?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Headlights and Relays

the lights will only take as many amps as they need. But if the voltage is low, they won't be as bright.
A .5 volt drop isn't too bad, but it is enough to dim the lights. If you look in the electrical FAQ you'll see a thread on this conversion. Very easy.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
BMERDOC

I am under the assumption that the headlights are starving for power. A 20 gauge wire will transfer as much voltage as a 8 gauge wire but it won't transfer raw current like and 8g. Kinda like a 1bbl carb v. a 4bbl. It'll make it go it just won't supply the utmost in power. Everyone raves about the relay upgrade so its gotta work. Im just thinking its not just adding the relays but calculating consumption and installing the correct wire size thats important.

Ok. Now that I think about it...Simply put a switch powering a relay only needs to be a small gauge to trigger the relay but a relay needs to have a larger gauge to supply the needed amerage for the work being done. DUH!! The whole reason a relay is used in the first place!!! Thanks for helpin me think out loud. Its amazing what you can figure out if you just write it down and think about it.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Relays are huge upgrade one of the best bang for the buck right next to front swaybar

isntructions were hard to follow for me but the install is super easy

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
BMERDOC

Do you know what gauge wire you used? 12? 14?
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I hardly do any night driving with my truck but was real happy I had done the relay upgrade last Friday night coming back on the Highway at 70mph in the dark when Bambi was standing in the ditch by the Highway waiting to cross. Because of the headlights I had time to slow down and I think with my lights hitting her eyes she decided to wait until I went by until she crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
BMERDOC

I have done everything but replace the sealed beams and add the relays. They are aimed perfect but are only candle light. As the temps drop and the sunlight dims into fall I'd still like to enjoy my Old Shoe. There is also something to be said for the appearance...funny thing is I've already been randomly complemented on my brake lights and how fast my turn signals repeat, almost like a Thank You...strange I know. I wanna bring the headlights up to the same level.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
rpmerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Do you know what gauge wire you used? 12? 14?
I typically use 14 or 16ga
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

HERE is the conversion I will be running when I get there... Hella E-code lights that use H4 bulbs... Upgrade your connectors to these ceramic ones HERE to handle any additional heat generated by the hotter H4 bulb ...This with a relay upgrade and you're good to go... Just make sure the the new wires can handle the amps...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
BMERDOC

Also thanks for the headlight suggestion. I was thinking of adding the Speedway Motors headlights so that I could clean up the front end. I wanna get rid of the bow tie, "cheverolet" and the turn signals. I was thinking of wiring the headlights as turn signals so they would over ride and flash as a signal or flash if the headlights were not on.
Attached Images

Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
BMERDOC

Ok so another question (its my thread) how are you changin the web address to "here"?
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Ok so another question (its my thread) how are you changin the web address to "here"?
when you're typing your response (or a new post) use the icon above the text box {the icon has a globe and sideways figure 8}... after you paste the link and hit OK, it leaves you in a highlighted state... you can type anything you want, I chose the word HERE .... and the html code makes it the link....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
wilbilt

I haven't added relays to my truck yet, but I have done this upgrade to other vehicles in the past. The most impressive improvement was my '73 FJ55 Land Cruiser. Due to the old wiring, switch, etc., the voltage at the headlights with the engine running was about 8.5V.
After installing the relays fed from the alternator, the voltage under load was 13.7 at the lights. HUGE difference in nighttime visibility.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
BMERDOC

My system voltage running is about 13.2ish, my headlights are 12.8ish.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
cdowns

cheapest easiest upgrade there is // cleaning contacts to bright shiny metal with a light coat of dielectric grease DONT FORGET THE GROUND WIRES

makes quiet a difference on 40yo vehicles
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
kcsa75

I've been tossing around this upgrade myself. I saw these lights on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT and this wiring harness at LMC http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=70. The lights get good reviews and the wiring harness is priced right and a whole lot easier than building it yourself. I'm not worried about lighting the world, but I do like to see where I'm going.

Your thoughts.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
rpmerf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
this wiring harness at LMC http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=70. The lights get good reviews and the wiring harness is priced right and a whole lot easier than building it yourself.
Wow! For the time/money to build one yourself, you can't beat that price!
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
BMERDOC

Not knockin it but when I install the kit I don't wanna see it and a big yellow harness is not easy to hide. I can bet it would need a lot more work to make it somewhat custom tailored to fit a C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
cheapest easiest upgrade there is // cleaning contacts to bright shiny metal with a light coat of dielectric grease DONT FORGET THE GROUND WIRES

makes quiet a difference on 40yo vehicles
I whole heartedly agree with you and did that but I FORGOT THE GROUND WIRES. Well didn't forget but when was on workin on the lights I ran outta time and never went back to them. I have several ground issues including the wipers that I need to address
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Roadmarks

@kcsa75, Those ebay headlights SUCK! I wasted my money and tried to send them back and the answer was "NO WAY!" The metal backs were crooked and one lens was broken. Save your money and buy Hella or Marchell like I had to do.
@everyone else, The Automotive Industry uses as little of what ever product, (like wire,) it can for any given application. It just makes good business sense. They use the smallest gauge of wire that will do the job brand new under perfect conditions, so it is common to find 14ga and 16ga in lighting circuits. That's just NOT enough for the long runs MY 1971 C-10 required going to Halogens! My "rule of thumb wiring size" law is a MINIMUM 1 step heavier than factory and try to avoid 18ga and smaller.
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
Roadmarks

I don't see any way to get what you want in a kit! I looked at kits then built my own, and yes, it takes more time and may even cost more, but I know its right! I replaced the original green and brown from the switch to the relay bank with 16ga and added new black 14ga ground. I just use the original (replaced) runs to kick the relays and added a run for an SPDT switch for the driving lights. The rest you can see in the picture. There is a fiberglass cover held in place with two snaps to cover it all.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #21
stealthy '69
'69 Chevy SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmarks View Post
I don't see any way to get what you want in a kit! I looked at kits then built my own, and yes, it takes more time and may even cost more, but I know its right! I replaced the original green and brown from the switch to the relay bank with 16ga and added new black 14ga ground. I just use the original (replaced) runs to kick the relays and added a run for an SPDT switch for the driving lights. The rest you can see in the picture. There is a fiberglass cover held in place with two snaps to cover it all.
HMMMM... seeing this pic make me rethink the way I did mine. I just used a relay for highs and one for lows. maybe I should change it so there's one left, one right, and one high. That seems like a better idea.

'69 Chevy SWB Fleet, Primer Black; Project No Name
'06 Chevy Trailblazer, Blueish Silver?; Wifes DD, Sold
'08 Chevy Impala SS, Silver; the new DD, AND IT IS FUN!!!
'99 Dodge Dakota R/T, Intense Blue; DD, Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The tig welds are not the prettiest i have seen but they do have good penetration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
There are two things in life where penetration is really important.....and one of them is welding.
stealthy '69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #22
hatred

Quote:
This confuses me when I think about doing it. I can and have done wiring before, but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around doing this one....

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
Roadmarks

I use a relay for each side and one for the Hella 500s. Since they are all the same relay, I can use the driving lights relay for a spare for the headlights and I carry one in the glove box as well. Never needed either one. The Hella 7" H-4 headlights and the Hella 500 driving lights can MELT a Mercededs trunk lid at 200 yards on 13.8v!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
Roadmarks

@hatred, The idea is to get more volts and amps to the headlights. I did it by using a couple of new external switches and new heavier wire hooked more or less directly the battery. To make my life easier I used switches that could be thrown electrically called relays and used the original headlight switch and dimmer combo to do it! That's really all there is to it.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
hatred

Quote:
@hatred, The idea is to get more volts and amps to the headlights. I did it by using a couple of new external switches and new heavier wire hooked more or less directly the battery. To make my life easier I used switches that could be thrown electrically called relays and used the original headlight switch and dimmer combo to do it! That's really all there is to it.
Yah I can visually see and understand the need for it to be done, but when I read how you guys did it or see pics of it my mind shuts down and I start drooling lol. Just don't understand HOW to do it.

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote