The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
MusicMan70

Lower ball joint question

Hey Folks...embarking on rebuilding the front end of my 1970 GMC truck, power drums, using the standard front end kit from PST....some questions please;

1- Can I leave the drum attached to the spindle?

2- Is this the proper tool to use to separate the ball joints
and placement? I've been banging on it and no separation yet.

3- I have the jack under the a-arm and PB blasted the ball joints as well as
safety-cabled the coil spring to the lower a-arm. What else?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses and suggestions, Henry
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Lower ball joint question

Everything looks good. Throw that pickle fork in the trash! I am not there to coach you so its gonna be hard to tell you. I want you to smack the F outta the spindle at the lower joint. Grab the biggest hammer you can (find one), make sure you aint gonna hit anything else and swing!! I want you to hit it once like youve never hit anything in your life so you only mar the spindle once and not mess it up. It will come loose if you ring its bell. Make sure all of the safety precautions you've used are only there to catch your work and are not in the way. Swing once and make it count. Your jack and cable will catch it and you'll have nothing to worry about.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
lilpoindexter

Yep...do a babe ruth on the spindle, adjacent to where the stud pokes through.
I use a pickle fork attachment on an air hammer, and just plug on it til it pops.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
MusicMan70

Great....It's Hammer time! I'll go to the "Mighty Thor" section at Lowe's and get one...
Thanks Nick and PDexter
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #5
67c10rustbuket

1 - Yes leave the drum attached to the spindle, If you are reusing the brake lines tie a string or bungee cord around the upper arm to the frame so you don't stretch the rubber brake line.

2 - Yes the pickle fork works (as long as you not planning to reuse the ball joints, they destroy the boots) your placement is a little off and make sure you loosen the ball joint nuts 1/4" or so , so it can actually separate. the fork needs to get in on either side of the base of the ball joint. or you can just loosen the nut on the ball joint until it is just above the top of the ball joint stud and give it a "thor" whack with a hammer to the top of the joint by hitting the nut, if you remove the nut and bang it out you could get injured by the spring shooting out of the pocket.

3 - you need to remove the jack from under the c-arm so it can drop when the ball joint separates. the jack is keeping the ball joint pressed in no matter how hard you beat on it the jack is holding the lower arm in place.

4 - yes I added number 4... once you have separated the lower do not remove the nut until you do the same to the upper ball joint. the tension from the coil spring is your friend when separating ball joints. without the spring in place you'll be beating on a sloppy suspension. in other words separate both upper and lower before removing the nuts and yanking the spring out...

good luck and happy times with the thor hammer

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

that castle nut looks like it need to be loosen on the lower ball joint

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I'm with BEMERDOC, throw that picklefork away, they just destroy things.
Second, DO NOT hit the castle nut. It has the potential to ruin the threads, which makes the nut harder to get off of the stud, if it even does come loose, and at minimum it can deform the nut, making it harder to wrench.

You really need to hit the spindle itself right next to the stud. It sounds funny to hit it horizontally when you want the joint to come out vertically, but it works.
Personally, if I was replacing everything, I would take the drums apart too. This makes it easy to remove the steering link that is in the way of getting a good hit on the lower ball joint. Why avoid the outer parts to get to the inner stuff? Drums on the front should be inspected at every opportunity anyway.
Keep them clean, adjusted, and in good condition for safe, straight stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
MusicMan70

Thanks for the other responses(Buket, Willie, LngHair)...I just did a brake job fairly recently and so I really didn't want to take them apart again unless It was necessary. I will incorporate all this advise....Thumbs Up to All that responded!c