The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
troostr

Aftermarket Gauge Help

Hi All! LONG time lurker- I have learned a ton on this forum to help with my 64 and now my 52. I traded into this 52, some good clip work done, decent paint, body- just a real nice driver! My problem was the PO put in under dash "band-aid" gauges because the originals were bad. bad looking, not working, just bad. So after reading the Dolphin Gauge thread I opted for New Vintage Woodward gauges - very similar to stock looking. First, the are 4-3/8 not 4-5/8 like most popular "5 inch" speedo/quad pairs, so I had to use a 4-5/8 bezel set, modified and mounting kit to get them in- the speedo rear mounting studs aren't clocked level so to get it level I had to build extra mounts for the speedo brackets to bolt on to the factory dash studs. So after they are all in and wired, the fuel reads full all the time, I checked grounds all over. The oil pressure reads correct ( the same as the under-dash gauge I took out) The volt is correct, the Temp reads WAY hot- no teflon on the sender, gauges are well grounded -I even ran a temp wire direct to the battery ground. Also the speedo won't calibrate correctly (against a gps)

SO, I was looking at another thread about what seats fit- and all the killer interior pics and I see a lot of actual 5 inch aftermarket gauges- 5 inch as in the exact same size as stock- only 12v and read more than 80 mph, 30 psi oil pressure. I am not happy with the New Vintage set I have and want something that fits without an extra bezel- does anyone make such a thing?

What are you guys running/ have installed that you are happy with? Pics would be awsome! but I can find them online if I have to
Thanks for your help on this! Here's a couple pics of some of my junk.
Name:  skidmark 152.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  52.6 KB
troostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: Aftermarket Gauge Help

Nice trucks, I think the fuel sender has is the wrong one. there are different Ohm ratings
different gauges use fuel senders with different resistance senders. if the temp sender is in the side of the block it will read hot. I always put the sender ti the intake manifold you get a more accurate reading there.

Just my opinion about GPS. most are not that accurate have a speedometer shop to set it

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
troostr

Thanks, all senders were supplied with the gauges. My temp sender is in the intake manifold. On the speedo, it's the push button to set type. It is making signal, just not consistantly reading the signal. I have checked at the plug to the gauge that its making signal. I can be driving at 60, and it will randomly range from 30 to 80.
I am over these gauges- I really want to start all over with something else that fits nicely, kind of a bolt in to the orginal studs, with an electronic speedo, and more accurate gauges.
troostr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
solidaxel

Welcome from next door in So Arizona!
Nice truck and color combo.

I have used Classic Instruments and Hanline and I like Classic the best!
The hanline folks told me that grounding on the speedo was VERY critical and the twisted pair that went to the sender at the trans was to be seperated from wire bundle as much as possible because of RF signals
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
mknittle

Is there a ground strap to the engine and one to the cab? if so is are the terminals really clean? I had one with a wire broken inside the insulation one time I thought I was never going to find the problem.
when you are absolutely sure the grounds are good. I would run a test wire to each gauge. I have one about 5 feet long with alligator clips on both ends. But It sure sounds like a ground problem to me

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
nacho55

Troostr:
Here's what you need to do,
Get your title notorized and hitch your old hot rod boat up to it and ill swing by and take them off your hands you don't want to bother with that truck its too far gone.... just kidding those are some nice looking rides you got. What kind of boat is that BTW.
Posted via Mobile Device
nacho55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
troostr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho55 View Post
Troostr:
Here's what you need to do,
Get your title notorized and hitch your old hot rod boat up to it and ill swing by and take them off your hands you don't want to bother with that truck its too far gone.... just kidding those are some nice looking rides you got. What kind of boat is that BTW.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, but I'll pass on THAT offer- but keep 'em coming though, everthing has a $$!
The boat is a 69 Sanger, 429, casale v-box, new clear on original gel, and new interior- That could be yours BTW, the wifey and kiddos are scared of it, when I finished it my wife up'd my life insurance- wth?- go figure! I'm tired of driving it alone, they like the family cruiser better.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
troostr

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Welcome from next door in So Arizona!
Nice truck and color combo.

I have used Classic Instruments and Hanline and I like Classic the best!
The hanline folks told me that grounding on the speedo was VERY critical and the twisted pair that went to the sender at the trans was to be seperated from wire bundle as much as possible because of RF signals
The gauges in the pic are the Hanlines, correct? I think I remember then from the "dolphin" thread. Are those electric speedo or the GPS? Did they come from Hanline with the bezels to fit the stock hole, and do they bolt onto the factory gauge studs or?- Thanks