The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
budman k20
1972 K20

Oil leaks and other pests slowing me down

Hi all,
I thought everyone could relate to my issues building my first truck and I figured it was about time to learn how to post pictures! So I included some build pictures of my 72 K20 frame off. I have been chasing an oil leak for some time now as the passenger side of my engine is coated in oil. The entire passenger side under hood area has oil all over it. There is a lot of oil on my intake also. I have replaced the valve covers I have new steel core reusable VC gaskets etc. and I still have oil dripping off the engine. Today I'm checking / shimming my dist. to ensure it is not the leak source. I checked the intake to block gap and that has a nice bead on that. I'm on my second set of valve covers and I am about to put on my third set as I'm trying a cast valve cover with cork gaskets now. I have put a bolt in the fuel pump rod hole and I'm going to remove my intake bolts one at a time and reseal both the threads and under the heads to eliminate all possible leak points. I will double check my oil pressure line and block fitting. What else am I missing? Once I get my oil leaks under control I get to tear my entire AC system out since a mouse got in my restored truck over the winter and chewed a hole in my glove box, SPID and made a nest in my blower squirrel gage. It also chewed up my brand new never used good AC ducts and some dash wiring as well. Man for such a small pest they can do a lot of damage when left alone! Anyway I just needed to vent....and find out if I can up load pictures!
Attached Images

budman k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Oil leaks and other pests slowing me down

Oil leak idea: check on the front of the block between the balancer and the fuel pump boss there are 2 threaded holes. The top one goes into the fuel pump cavity and will leak oil if not sealed up with a short bolt, washer, and maybe even some sealer. This hole is used to lock down (with a longer bolt) the fuel pump push rod when changing the fuel pump.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
budman k20
1972 K20

Thanks for the tip... I have done that already. My current theory is the oil is getting airborne somehow… it must be squirting out under higher rpm's? There is a lot of oil on one side of the engine... more than a leaky gasket and it must be near the front to get blown all over? it is a high performance 400 with DART heads about 450 plus HP so it could be crankcase venting at higher RPM's??
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Chevys10dr

Hey budman,

I think I have the same leak, thats the same issues I have been seeing. I picked up the truck about a month ago and been checking everything I can think of, but with no luck, I hope someone here can chime in and give some advice that I havent tryed yet.
Chevys10dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Frkypunk70

Nice truck! I had a leak on that side, thought it was my breather. It ended up being the back side of my intake. It was dripping on the starter the header, and somehow also getting flung around by the flywheel. I cleaned the area real well with brake clean 3 times before I finally caught it. What's funny is it looked like I was crop dusting when I would jump on it. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
budman k20
1972 K20

Thanks... it looks a little better now that it is almost finished.
This summer I have been cleaning the enginge everytime I drive it. I hope I figure it out soon since I want to go to a car show in 3 weeks! Nothing like a deadline to up the motivation!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Sucks about the oil and A/C.

Any more pics of the 67 firebird?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I hate oil leaks.

This truck's not quite ready to show me where she *going to* leak. But one place I've had trouble before is at the back of the
intake manifold at the dreaded oil pressure gauge fitting. Seems small. But if it, or any of its connectors back there are leaking,
it can spurt big time.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
sleepertruck72

Have you replaced the PCV valve and hoses ? Double check the oil line to the gauge... That can be a pesty leak
Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman k20 View Post
Thanks for the tip... I have done that already. My current theory is the oil is getting airborne somehow… it must be squirting out under higher rpm's? There is a lot of oil on one side of the engine... more than a leaky gasket and it must be near the front to get blown all over? it is a high performance 400 with DART heads about 450 plus HP so it could be crankcase venting at higher RPM's??
I was chasing leaks after my rebuild for about a month.
Turns out the problem was the head bolts. Although I very carefully sealed them with Permatex No. 2 and let the engine sit for a couple of weeks the outside bolts leaked oil/water. It wasn't very much and it dried on the side of the block. I really thought it was a valve cover gasket. I ended up pulling the engine and removing the heads. I cleaned the holes out and used Loctite Head Bolt and Water Jacket Sealer. That did the trick.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
budman k20
1972 K20

Hey Rdneck about more Firebird pics...this is a truck site! But to show you my recently aquired body work and paint skills, I will tease you with a few more bird pics. I butt welded every panel and the inside of the trunk is as smooth as the outside no one would know if I didnt show the body work pictures! Now back to fixing my oil leaks.
Attached Images