The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
nobull2

rusted cab repair or replace

I have an 80 but it needs a bed. Also the cab is pretty bad floors rockers and cab corner... so I bought an 86 swb dual tank truck super nice bed. and the cab is pretty good but dash was cut and all the wiring gutted and some holes cut in the firewall.. should i fix my 80 cab or use the 86?
nobull2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Re: rusted cab repair or replace

you can put the wiring from your 80 into the 86 and cut peices of the 80 firewall and weld it into the 86 or use the sheat metal from the 86 to fix the 80

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
nobull2

just wondering which would be more work.. I will probably fix the rust in the 80.. Just looks like more time and money to change all the wiring and get the air and stuff working right again..
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Da88burban
GM's 4 Life

Do you have pics of the trucks and the damage?

'54 Chevy 3100 "Just a Mess"
'74 Chevy Super 10 468BB "One Fast Rust Bucket"
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT
'88 Chevy burb "Tha Big Turd"
'93 GMC Safari "Bone Crusher"

.................____________
.............../______l___|___\____
;,;,;,;,;,;,;|__(O)_| __l___l__(O) |
Da88burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
nobull2

dont think it would show up in pics both trucks have pretty good paint..
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but why not look for a totally rust free good truck and sell off the parts on the trucks you own after you salvage what you need from them. Fighting rust is a losing battle. Your old trucks are worth $250+ in scrap value alone, and you can probably sell off other parts for many hundreds of $$ more. I wouldn't be surprised if your come out money ahead on just buying a good truck and selling the pieces of the old trucks. Just a thought.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
nobull2

the 80 was my first truck and my dad gave it to me when I was 12 plus it is kind of rare would never sell it (again) sold and got it back.. and he is no longer with me..
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
nobull2

this is it
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

if the floors and rockers are good in the 86 and its only the lower part of the body of the 80 cab thats toast i would do like a fellow member did

cut out the complete buttom part of the both cabs and weld them back togther

theres a guy on here who did it to a Green 79 K20 i think it was from new york but cant for the life of me find the build thread

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote