The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
tubbed55

seats

My truck did not have a seat. The guy threw in a junk 1980-90's seat not bolted in. I am going to look for an original seat. Can someone tell me how to tell the difference in the regular seats and the deluxe high padding seats. Is it noticable just by looking at them? I want to put in the original hounds tooth covers and want to make sure and get the right seat...If I can find 1.
tubbed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
lil hoodlum

Re: seats

I know what you mean. When I bought my truck it had some crummy bucket seats with only 1 bolt holding down each seat. LOL I got an 88-94 bench out of a junk yard. It was actually pretty comfortable. Like you though, I wanted an original seat. I'm not really sure how you can tell the difference between the regular seats and the deluxe but since you are going to get the seats recovered anyways let the upholster add more padding as you wish. After 40+ years, it is likely that you seat foams will need replacing anyways.

My seat is for the 67-68 trucks. (The seat back folds forward.) When I had my bench re-upholstered, the seat back needed all new foam. Your upholsterer should be able to tell you if yours will need replacing or not.

My bench from the salvage yard. /// Recovered.

Keith
Attached Images

lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
lil hoodlum

Not my picture but this is a fellow board members truck. It has the highlander seat cover. This is what I really wanted. I just didn't have the cash at the time.

Keith
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
I know what you mean. When I bought my truck it had some crummy bucket seats with only 1 bolt holding down each seat. LOL I got an 88-94 bench out of a junk yard. It was actually pretty comfortable. Like you though, I wanted an original seat. I'm not really sure how you can tell the difference between the regular seats and the deluxe but since you are going to get the seats recovered anyways let the upholster add more padding as you wish. After 40+ years, it is likely that you seat foams will need replacing anyways.

My seat is for the 67-68 trucks. (The seat back folds forward.) When I had my bench re-upholstered, the seat back needed all new foam. Your upholsterer should be able to tell you if yours will need replacing or not.

My bench from the salvage yard. /// Recovered.

Keith
About 26 years ago IIRC, the original seat was stolen out of my truck ('72 C-10 SWB). The seat we (well, my dad) bought to replace it is still bolted in it. Your pics made me think, "hey, that looks like the kind of seat I have now." So I go out to my truck and check....never knew EXACTLY what that "new" seat came out of.

Well, not only is it exacly like your seat, I found most (8 pieces) of the original build-sheet for the truck in which it was originally installed tucked into the back!!

Some details: Date: 06-29-67

Model: CE20934
Platform: WOOD
Color: 503 LT GREEN
VID: CE2477
Engine: L30 327 CU......bic in
Interior?: 601 FAWN CLOTH
FREEMONT PLANT

Anyway, cool stuff! Thanks for posting Keith, never would have found that stuff out without your post!
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
About 26 years ago IIRC, the original seat was stolen out of my truck ('72 C-10 SWB). The seat we (well, my dad) bought to replace it is still bolted in it. Your pics made me think, "hey, that looks like the kind of seat I have now." So I go out to my truck and check....never knew EXACTLY what that "new" seat came out of.

Well, not only is it exacly like your seat, I found most (8 pieces) of the original build-sheet for the truck in which it was originally installed tucked into the back!!

Some details: Date: 06-29-67

Model: CE20934
Platform: WOOD
Color: 503 LT GREEN
VID: CE2477
Engine: L30 327 CU......bic in
Interior?: 601 FAWN CLOTH
FREEMONT PLANT

Anyway, cool stuff! Thanks for posting Keith, never would have found that stuff out without your post!
Are you talking about the original seat covering from the salvage yard? I absolutely loved the pattern. I tried to research it (on the internet) but couldn't find anything.

That bench in fact did come out of a 1967 GMC. I asked my upholsterer guy to save me the swaths of covering that weren't all faded. I have them here hoping that one day I could find a match.

Thank you for your post and the info you provided.'

Keith
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
slikside

Well, not EXACTLY...I guess. No, the seat covering is not the same, but the construction, frame, springs, swings forward, etc..., is all the same.

Mine is a tan color vinyl....so it has been reupholstered too, as it differs from the build sheet I found (fawn cloth).

I'm just stoked about finding that build sheet. Even though I know the seat I have is not the original, I've had it for so long now, and discovering that build sheet...knowing exactly where the seat came from, well......I guess it's as almost the same thing...to me at least....even if it isn't the correct year!

But I'd dump it in a second if I came upon a set of buddy buckets!!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
tubbed55

I thought I had heard that the frames and springs were different between the two seats also. So the frames and springs are the same and the padding is the difference?
tubbed55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
slikside

I wouldn't know. I only know that from the pics, mine is built just like his, and I found the build sheet in the back of it from 1967.....Don't know what a '68 seat would be built like.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
sameyrasmea72

I don't know how to tell unless the seat has the original seat cover on it. Only custom package had a base seat. The custom deluxe, cheyenne, cheyenne supers all had the full foam seat. However I have seen some customs with the optional full foam seat.

Here are some guide lines if the seat cover is original:
1. If it has colth inserts it has a full foam seat ( dustom deluxe, of cheyenne super.
2.If it is all vinyl seat and has a fancy srcoll it is a full foam seat. (cheyenne)
3. If it is all vinyl and plain jane looking like pic (custom) the more than likely it is a regular seat unless someone ordered the full foam seat.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
sameyrasmea72

Here are some seats that will have full foam seat if the covers are original.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #11
capev86

i love the blue/white highlander interior. my dad's 72 burb c10 350/350 custom deluxe was a rare dealer promo truck with that package on 6 passenger seating. it had all the other bells and whistles also.....tilt, front a/c, overload 1/2 leaf springs in back, chrome roof lamps, etc.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote